Nene, Middle Level and Great Ouse - when open

matty40s

Featured Posts

The East has its own rules, and I remember two years ago cruising in horrendous winds across the flatlands and passing several forum regulars escaping in March....from March..

What are the earliest opening times this year down ti Cambridge from CRT land.

Thanks

Marmont Priory Lock is closed until 21st March

In March, next to the town bridge a riverside overhead walkway is being replaced. For the time being the width of the river is reduced while the work is carried out, assisted passage is available for wide beams

To get from CRT[top of N/hpton flight] to Cambridge, i would say is a tall order before mid to end of March, there were works on flight, extremely high levels on Nene[closed] on Mid Levels various works, on Great Ouse navigable as far as i know. the Nene is main problem as high level, best to contact EA for advise[ find if you talk to right person very helpful]

Am at M/Keynes tonight and will be going back to Nfk tomorrow will look at Nene on way back. Will be on boat in March Saturday and will find out about Mid Levels and let you know if no posts. Want to get boat to Daventry myself and am hoping to move April, but it's all down to the weather i'm afraid so keep an eye on long range forecast 1 days heavy rainfall can close Nene for 1 week +

Tat's the way it is in the East of the network you alway's have to keep a close eye on Nene as can be closed overnight. Will let you know what's what

To get from CRT[top of N/hpton flight] to Cambridge, i would say is a tall order before mid to end of March, there were works on flight, extremely high levels on Nene[closed] on Mid Levels various works, on Great Ouse navigable as far as i know. the Nene is main problem as high level, best to contact EA for advise[ find if you talk to right person very helpful]

Am at M/Keynes tonight and will be going back to Nfk tomorrow will look at Nene on way back. Will be on boat in March Saturday and will find out about Mid Levels and let you know if no posts. Want to get boat to Daventry myself and am hoping to move April, but it's all down to the weather i'm afraid so keep an eye on long range forecast 1 days heavy rainfall can close Nene for 1 week +

Tat's the way it is in the East of the network you alway's have to keep a close eye on Nene as can be closed overnight. Will let you know what's what

Thanks to all.

I have been over the Nene most days this week and it's starting to drop,,with no serious rain forecast for a week or so.

March new bridge is well signed and passable so it's really the locks that are important.

I think 27th March was the d- day for everyone last year...I passed the moomins at Stanground and By'eck at Upwell/ Outwell

Buy the Cam Conservancy visitor licence- assuming you're only visiting and not delivering- with an EA visitor licence, from the EA, it will cost you significantly less than buying it from CamCon direct.

Will buy you a pint when you make it to Cambridge.

Was actually cheaper for us last year than the Conservators website implied.

Thanks to all.

I have been over the Nene most days this week and it's starting to drop,,with no serious rain forecast for a week or so.

March new bridge is well signed and passable so it's really the locks that are important.

I think 27th March was the d- day for everyone last year...I passed the moomins at Stanground and By'eck at Upwell/ Outwell

Our aim is be out on the river a bit earlier than that this year, but not expecting to make it all the way to Northampton 'till about the same time, due to the various lock closures. Plans, as always, subject to change.

MP.

Thanks to all.

Hi Matty,

Sorry about delay been busy trying to win money on gee gee's, didn't happen. Have been to town bridge March works ongoing and will be for sometime yet but not closed there is assisted passage, but you have another problem if you get this far early next month Marmont Priory Lock is closed for works until March 21st, if done earlier will let you know. Yes I agree Nene levels are dropping but am told that since the top lock gate at Titchwell has been raised[sometime ago] it has lowered the clearance at the bridge just below the lock[can't remember name] down river at Thrapston[near moorings]. So as that is lowest clearance that could be where problem is if water slightly high,

As Weston Favell Lock is not due to open until 24th March I still think beginning at start of April best bet allowing for works overruns etc, But of cause this is your call, hope this is of use.