Minerva Works being sold off.

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

Copied from another site.

Minerva Works is Owned by Canal and River Trust. It is the centre of canal history, head quarters of Fellows Morton and Clayton and has three grade II listed buildings on Site; Old Canal offices and Banana warehouse also known as Warwick Bar. as well as small bits of canal history.

In 2008 the Canal and River Trust (CRT) formally known as BW sold the lease of Warwick Bar Estate to ISIS Waterside Regeneration.

ISIS is 50% owned by CRT and is their property development company.. ISIS used Colliers International property management to run the day to day of the Site

With this in mind. Work started on site. The idea was slow regeneration. A Tenant was encouraged to move in, the money from that lease was used to create another unit and then another tenant moved in and so on. Slow regeneration. Tenants we picked so that we would all compliment each others businesses or art objectives and Its a nice balance of commercial and funded groups on site.

We the business and the Art groups have had a very good working relationship with ISIS and have worked hard collectively to build up Minerva works to what it is today. A thriving community of business. The site is now full and Isis moved on to start the regeneration of the rest of the site.

Then HS2 happened. You can see the site where HS2 is coming into Birmingham at Curzon St from Minerva works. All of a sudden regeneration stalled and ISIS transferred running of Minerva works to CRT estates in 2013/14

Since then we have struggled to get anything done on site. Coller's who manage the day to day have been struggling to get any decisions out of CRT property. CRT property have made no effort to regenerate the rest of the site in line with what ISIS started.

Because of this we have all become nervous of the change in attitude. Collectively we have been in discussions about our options and potentially leasing and self managing this site as a group. We naively thought we had until 2020 to arrange this. As it is in 2020 when the main regeneration of this side of Birmingham city is due to start. Every time we have asked especially since new leases and renewals of leases are taking place we have been told "there are no plans to sell the site until 2020"

So we have all been working towards 2020 in terms of our business planning and what we would like to do with the site. Then Boom! Saturday 6th February 2016 a property developer from London arrives on site with a bid pack for a closed Bidding due on the 18th February 2016.

This property developer then states "if I buy the site, I'll have you all out in six months"

So since then we have been consulting solicitors to see if they can do this. We have now been assured that they can't just kick us out they have to honor our lease. The problem is some businesses are due to renew this year and next. So that's not going to happen if the sites sold.

The remaining business on site with longer leases will then be on site with empty units and the site will go back to being derelict. Effectively putting all of us out of business. We are disgusted that CRT could not be bothered to inform us that they were having a closed bid. The Bid pack make reference to a plan to turn the whole canal corridor along Fazely St into buy to let flats.

The Digbeth Residents association along with many others in Birmingham have been fighting with developers over this issue of buy to let. Digbeth does not need any more buy to let. Digbeth is now a thriving enterprise and culture centre in Birmingham. As part of the Big City plan from Birmingham council, they want this part of Birmingham to become the Arts and Culture quarter.

It's already here!

CRT Property have shown no interest in the regeneration and further development on site. They have no idea of the business and art groups that are here and the very special business community that has developed here.

They have bypassed part of the Charity Act legislation on disposals of property by a clever scam of lease ownership. So where we thought we were protected by the Charity Act and had an avenue to negotiate the type of regeneration and help with conserving the heritage of the canals on site we find we have no say.

So here we are, a Canal and River Trust that says its charity objectives are:

• to promote sustainable development in the vicinity of any inland waterway for the benefit of the public.
  • the improvement of the conditions of life in socially and economically disadvantaged communities.
  • the promotion of sustainable means of achieving economic growth and regeneration and the prudent use of Natural resources.
  • All of the above is what Minerva Works is and more if allowed to continue.

CRT property have ignored the trusts objectives and have decided to sell Minerva works for less than market value for a quick buck. They have also circumvented the charity Act by a clever lease arrangement. and again by doing this ignoring the Trust's aims of being open and transparent.

We have the evidence, we have a hard copy of the Bid pack and we have the leases trail, and lease and freehold for the site.

So I need you to email CRT, and your MP. With your concerns about the conduct of CRT in this matter.

richard.parry@canalrivertrust.org.uk (CEO CRT)

stuart.mills@canalrivertrust.org.uk (CRT Property)

Your MP can be contacted here : https://www.writetothem.com/

The business here will be making a formal complaint to the Charity Commision and submitting the evidence of our concerns.

i can put you in touch with the author if you think it would help their case.

I don't have anything to help their case. I was curious who is writing this and why

http://www.warwickbar.co.uk/

http://flatpackfestival.org.uk/venue/minerva-works/

http://mydigbeth.co.uk/tag/minerva-works/

Richard

I don't have anything to help their case. I was curious who is writing this and why

http://www.warwickbar.co.uk/

http://flatpackfestival.org.uk/venue/minerva-works/

http://mydigbeth.co.uk/tag/minerva-works/

Richard

no idea who is writing that but one of the prospective buyers has said if he buy's it they will be out in 6 months.

We often see "narrowboat" world get knocked for what it publishes, but not this time.

Allan Richards has exposed what could lead to decimation of some of the best waterside heritage left in the city in a article linked below:

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/8727-out-in-six-months

A complex ownership operation with BW's ISIS at the centre and CRT involved could lead to unfavourable development of what is a gem of a location.

Fazeley St contains the old FMC warehouses (now The Bond) the former offices of the Grand Junction canal and the marvellous art deco façade of the FMC 1930's warehouse. Also just under a few inches of tarmac are tramway tracks which could be re exposed.

The area is "dangerously near to the proposed HS2 terminus, so invoking some future potential.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Does the Grade 2 status of parts of the site not give any protection from redevelopment in this manner, am I alone in seeing a serious conflict of interest (to be kind) in having members of CRTs board as owners of a property company who will benefit financially from this sell off??

Not to mention the origin of the Minerva Works, used for making edge tools and the remaining buildings of the gas works adjacent to the Bond, Some of these structures being once in use for the making of the steam engine plant for the FMC steamers.

It would seem to be another black mark against CRT

Ray Shill

A voice of moderation (but I'm not a brummie....)

How far do you go in preservastion?

Some buildings have architectural merit and USABLE space inside for conversion to modern uses (e.g. a lot of Lancashire cotton mills / weaving sheds)

Others are mere shells - for example LH's 'canopy' somewhere on the BCN and ditto at Brentford for the Jam 'ole. Steel angle iron with corrugated asbestos roof. Why should these be saved??

It's a serious question - there has to be something in the design / structure / usability that makes it worth saving.

I have no idea or axe to grind - so would be delighted for some positive feedback.....

A voice of moderation (but I'm not a brummie....)

How far do you go in preservastion?

Some buildings have architectural merit and USABLE space inside for conversion to modern uses (e.g. a lot of Lancashire cotton mills / weaving sheds)

Others are mere shells - for example LH's 'canopy' somewhere on the BCN and ditto at Brentford for the Jam 'ole. Steel angle iron with corrugated asbestos roof. Why should these be saved??

It's a serious question - there has to be something in the design / structure / usability that makes it worth saving.

I have no idea or axe to grind - so would be delighted for some positive feedback.....

The canopy is probably Chillington interchange basin which I got upgraded to listing grade 2*. I suggest you go to Google earth and find Fazeley st and go to street view, its remarkable whats still there.

The canopy is probably Chillington interchange basin which I got upgraded to listing grade 2*. I suggest you go to Google earth and find Fazeley st and go to street view, its remarkable whats still there.

i started a topic on this last week, so will merge the two.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82515&hl=minerva+works

Arf! I hope not. the OP stated that the property company was that owned the site was called ISIS (being CRTs Property Co and an unfortunate name) and was 50% owned by CRT so who are the owner(s) of the other 50%?

copied from FB

In 2008 the Canal and River Trust (CRT) formally known as British Waterways sold the long term lease of Warwick Bar Estate to ISIS Waterside Regeneration LLP. This is shown in the leasehold for the site area to the north side of Fazeley Street, Digbeth, B5.

ISIS Waterside Regeneration LLP is jointly owned by CRT and is their property development company. Several directors of CRT sit on the management of ISIS Waterside Regeneration LLP.

They have bypassed part of the Charity Act legislation (specifically sections 117-121) on disposals of property by a clever misdirection of lease ownership. Tenants of the site, and the wider UK public for whom the property is held in trust should be protected by the Charity Act and the scrutiny of the Charities Commission. By employing the legal, but unethical sleight of hand, Canal and River Trust and ISIS Waterside Regeneration LLP have removed the right to make representations on the sale of the current long term lease and have removed an avenue to negotiate the type of regeneration, and the scrutiny of the conservation of the heritage of the canals and properties held in trust for the nation.

Arf! I hope not. the OP stated that the property company was that owned the site was called ISIS (being CRTs Property Co and an unfortunate name) and was 50% owned by CRT so who are the owner(s) of the other 50%?

ISIS is not CaRT's property co. It is one of several joint ventures set up by BW over 10 years ago. Other examples are H2O, which is still in existance,and several which have failed including the Pub Partnership and Gloucester Quays.

CaRT's property company is Canal & River Trust CIC which owns both the freehold of Warwick Wharf and 50% of the ISIS Waterside Regeneration group of companies which has a 150 year lease in the site.

The other 50% shareholder is currently Muse, part of the Mogan Sindall group.

Going back to Lawrences post it looks like NBW reads this forum and repeats information taken from here (or possibly the private FB group) as breaking news....

explains why its so accurate in this instance. smiley_offtopic.gif

That is a very unfair comment, look at the dates, Allan obviously obtained a "leak".