AM Models Website

pete harrison

Featured Posts

It is a great pity we don't have this: http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php for working boats, it was "looked at" by TWT but quickly forgotten.

For locomotive enthusiasts it is a dream come true.

If they have the patience of Job, yes - I spent at least four minutes in the waiting room before anything appeared on the screen.

This topic is an interesting read for me despite have only passing interest in narrow boats, as I have been thinking fairly seriously about building a site to collect historical and current information on Humber barges. Currently there is a great deal of information and photos accumulating on a Facebook group, but this is hardly a good solution either for easy searching or for long term archival.

The BR database posted by Laurence is very much the sort of thing I have in mind, except that I want to avoid the dependency on a single curator, by having any registered & permitted user be able to add and update material, and be credited clearly for their contributions.

If there is a lack of such a site for narrow boats, perhaps I should be broadening my horizons to cover all types of British working boats.

This topic is an interesting read for me despite have only passing interest in narrow boats, as I have been thinking fairly seriously about building a site to collect historical and current information on Humber barges. Currently there is a great deal of information and photos accumulating on a Facebook group, but this is hardly a good solution either for easy searching or for long term archival.

The BR database posted by Laurence is very much the sort of thing I have in mind, except that I want to avoid the dependency on a single curator, by having any registered & permitted user be able to add and update material, and be credited clearly for their contributions.

If there is a lack of such a site for narrow boats, perhaps I should be broadening my horizons to cover all types of British working boats.

The problem with such an open source method is you are open to abuse and sabotage by the idiots who proliferate the internet these days.

I tried a similar tactic and had the site taken down by people who claimed to be cyber jihadis..... quite why my listings of historical working boats upset their religious beliefs escaped me then and still does today.

My plan isnt for a single curator of information but that is for another day another time. If anyone with design skills on modern internet protocols wants to volunteer help to set up a similar site to the one I mentioned above, I would be forever grateful my skills are now seemingly two generations out of date.

From what I have managed to find out the owner and the designer of brdatabase have either lost interest or ended updates since 2013, all attempts at communication have failed and no one I have managed to speak to can help with further contact details.

I am hoping to widen from narrow boats to include all canal and rivercraft, maybe we can compare notes.

Strictly the site actually hosting that is that of Daniel Hutchinson, (who is also the site owner of Canala World Discussion Forums). My memory is that Dan volunteered to take Roger's former site and put up an archive copy, to stop it disappearing from view. It will not have received any update for many, many years.

Indeed. I forget the exact details, but it went offline due to an oversite on renewing the hosting, the local site was lost, and I 're-built' it as best I could from various incomplete copies on the web archive 'wayback macbine' site.

Roger then more recentlt rehosted an updated and improved version, which sadly also now appears to be of line again.

So while its of some use, I continue to hold the old copy.

As you say, it must be 8years since is out that copy up, which was new at the time.

Depending on traffic/diskspace requirements hosting packages vmcan be had for amazing little money. A few pounds a month.

Daniel

Indeed. I forget the exact details, but it went offline due to an oversite on renewing the hosting, the local site was lost, and I 're-built' it as best I could from various incomplete copies on the web archive 'wayback macbine' site.

Roger then more recentlt rehosted an updated and improved version, which sadly also now appears to be of line again.

So while its of some use, I continue to hold the old copy.

As you say, it must be 8years since is out that copy up, which was new at the time.

Daniel

Parts of my site were courtesy of Roger as well, he very kindly allowed me to copy and reuse all of his information.

The problem with such an open source method is you are open to abuse and sabotage by the idiots who proliferate the internet these days.

I tried a similar tactic and had the site taken down by people who claimed to be cyber jihadis..... quite why my listings of historical working boats upset their religious beliefs escaped me then and still does today.

My plan isnt for a single curator of information but that is for another day another time. If anyone with design skills on modern internet protocols wants to volunteer help to set up a similar site to the one I mentioned above, I would be forever grateful my skills are now seemingly two generations out of date.

From what I have managed to find out the owner and the designer of brdatabase have either lost interest or ended updates since 2013, all attempts at communication have failed and no one I have managed to speak to can help with further contact details.

I am hoping to widen from narrow boats to include all canal and rivercraft, maybe we can compare notes.

On the abuse issue, I think the best approach there is simply to retain a history of changes to the data, so that vandalism can be quickly and easily reverted by other users. Similar to what is done on Wikipedia for instance. This is also the mechanism by which users can automatically be credited for their contributions - there is a record of who added and changed what.

I have the development skills needed - I used to build various database-driven sites, and did a lot of work on automating things to minimise the work involved in doing complex sites. I don't do web stuff for work any more and haven't for a good few years, but that's no real issue - you don't need to use the latest technologies, the old ones still work.

It would certainly be good to compare notes.

On the abuse issue, I think the best approach there is simply to retain a history of changes to the data, so that vandalism can be quickly and easily reverted by other users. Similar to what is done on Wikipedia for instance. This is also the mechanism by which users can automatically be credited for their contributions - there is a record of who added and changed what.

I have the development skills needed - I used to build various database-driven sites, and did a lot of work on automating things to minimise the work involved in doing complex sites. I don't do web stuff for work any more and haven't for a good few years, but that's no real issue - you don't need to use the latest technologies, the old ones still work.

It would certainly be good to compare notes.

I used frontpage to construct my site, nowadays its all css and html5 neither of which I have learnt, PHP I picked up on my own for the forum I ran but for some reason css confounds me, its been so long since I used any of it though the rust has seemingly caused some IT conduits to seize up, I could do with some mental WD40 if anyone has any spare.

Will PM you.

I used frontpage to construct my site, nowadays its all css and html5 neither of which I have learnt, PHP I picked up on my own for the forum I ran but for some reason css confounds me, its been so long since I used any of it though the rust has seemingly caused some IT conduits to seize up, I could do with some mental WD40 if anyone has any spare.

Will PM you.

You should take a look at the Drupal content management system, I use it for my website and it saves having to bother with any html or PHP yourself. I haven't written any code for years now, just find a suitable add-on module for Drupal and configure it to fit your site. I have now also switched to a Bootstrap based theme so the site has a responsive CSS without me having to fiddle with multi browser compatibility and automatic layouts as it is all been done by someone else and shared.

Hello everyone

Well, I was shocked to find Andy's site had gone, but at least the archived version is there. I have found it very useful over the years, and look forward to its successor. I take Laurence's point about accuracy, but perhaps if sources are indicated (not giant footnotes, just an idea) that will take care of some of the less reliable information.

Thanks Andy, your past efforts have been very much appreciated, and I hope there's more!

Happy new Year

Joseph

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update on the site, ammodels.co.nr is dead defunct and gone forever. Thanks to the generosity of Steve (nbAdmiral) the information lives on and the site will be updated and modernised along the model of the railway site previously mentioned.

Please change your bookmarks to www.workingboats.com atm the information is still in its previous format but this will change.

Anyone with coding experience who can help with a template that comes close to the one on brdatabase.info and who is willing to donate their time to the project would be great and gratefully welcomed. I am going to add a search function to the present site to increase ease of use.

The most important part is the information on the site, we all know there are inconsistencies and errors on the site and I am not too proud to admit they are mainly of my making but I really really would appreciate if anyone with an extensive (or minimal) history of a boat would be willing to share it with me so that I can improve the site by its inclusion.

There are dead links and corrupted photo files which I am working through to update or delete if there isnt a replacement available but feel free to post any you find here and I will get to them asap.

Thanks for the kind words about my old site and I hope the new one, and again many many thanks to Steve for the hosting, can become better and will be the place people look to again for information about working boats of the UK.

Bit of an update on the site, AMModels.co.nr is dead defunct and gone forever. Thanks to the generosity of Steve (nbAdmiral) the information lives on and the site will be updated and modernised along the model of the railway site previously mentioned.

Please change your bookmarks to www.workingboats.com atm the information is still in its previous format but this will change.

Anyone with coding experience who can help with a template that comes close to the one on brdatabase.info and who is willing to donate their time to the project would be great and gratefully welcomed. I am going to add a search function to the present site to increase ease of use.

The most important part is the information on the site, we all know there are inconsistencies and errors on the site and I am not too proud to admit they are mainly of my making but I really really would appreciate if anyone with an extensive (or minimal) history of a boat would be willing to share it with me so that I can improve the site by its inclusion.

There are dead links and corrupted photo files which I am working through to update or delete if there isnt a replacement available but feel free to post any you find here and I will get to them asap.

Thanks for the kind words about my old site and I hope the new one, and again many many thanks to Steve for the hosting, can become better and will be the place people look to again for information about working boats of the UK.

I would recommend investigating a Content Management system like Drupal rather than developing something as most of the hard work is done for you and you just need to add content. I use Drupal for the Heritage Working Boats site and it is also used for the Historic Narrowboat Club site.

Feel free to PM me if you would like some pointers in using Drupal. I may be able to provide some assistance in setting things up for you.

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I don't get here very often (too much to do elsewhere!) but I've been pointed at this topic because I run the Historic Inland Working Boats (HIWB) site at www.hiwb.org.uk which covers not only narrow boats but also all sorts of barges etc in all areas and anything else relevant I can get my hands on. Contributions (text and photos) are always welcome and attributed accordingly.

I am on the verge of a major update to add dozens of new photos and other information (including 1960s Trent barge traffic videos) but thought I'd mention it here now as it seems relevant to the discussion. I will also shortly be adding photos etc of the worlds oldest known 'narrow boat' (iron age! ~60'x5' stone carrier)

Feel free to link to from other sites and I will also happily link to other relevant sites on request.

Cheers, Chris D

Just a question: the site, both in its former AM guise and it its new clothes as Working Boats (I've just had a look at it) is a mine of information about working boats. But I have found no mention of models; so whence the name AMModels? Used you to build or sell them?

Just a question: the site, both in its former AM guise and it its new clothes as Working Boats (I've just had a look at it) is a mine of information about working boats. But I have found no mention of models; so whence the name AMModels? Used you to build or sell them?

Yes, he did (still does?) and very nice they are.

I have one of Alton in a Shroppie lock at 5mm to the foot.

George ex nb Alton retired

Bit of an update on the site, AMModels.co.nr is dead defunct and gone forever. Thanks to the generosity of Steve (nbAdmiral) the information lives on and the site will be updated and modernised along the model of the railway site previously mentioned.

Excellent news that there is a plan forwards and the data is safe.

My thoughts are listed below;

- Assuming it is not lost to another owner, I would retain ownership of the AMModels domain for some time, if only as a web forwarder, given the marginal cost.

- The BR database uses a phpBB forum, and I wonder if the rest of the site uses an off the shelf template, perhaps even one circulated with phpBB, have you asked then what they use and how they find it if you like the look that much?

- As said below, there are multiple other of the shelf content management systems, and I expect if I was creating a site I would make use of one of them.

I have used Drupal briefly and certainly works, we (I was just a moderator) where trying to it largely as a forum, and the forum wasnt as good as IPB/phpBB, and I didnt use the rest of it much, how its popular and must be ok.

The other CMS you might have heard of is WordPress, which I have not used, but is what my sister uses for her website and it appears to work well for her.

Magento is also common, if coming from an eCommerce background. Joomla appears to have an aggressive revenue model.

I have also knocked up a website using 'WIX' which is an online editor which bundles hosting, I was very impressed which how fast I could throw up a basic webpage which I can then edit anywhere I have an internet connection, however it is prehaps not what your after here.

Further reading:

http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/top-10-most-usable-content-management-systems--net-6493

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/01/how-to-choose-the-right-cms/

Daniel

I did yes, I started out making a model of one of his old working boats for my grandads grave, then my family all wanted their own models as a reminder as well. I made lots and had them all over the house but most have gone now. I did build a few for other people and as George stated below some went to forum members.

Yes, he did (still does?) and very nice they are.

I have one of Alton in a Shroppie lock at 5mm to the foot.

George ex nb Alton retired

Very kind of you to say so George, I still have the little pots of paint you sent so we could match the model to Alton as she was at the time.

Excellent news that there is a plan forwards and the data is safe.

My thoughts are listed below;

- Assuming it is not lost to another owner, I would retain ownership of the AMModels domain for some time, if only as a web forwarder, given the marginal cost. - thanks for the suggestion, makes sense and has now been done.

- The BR database uses a phpBB forum, and I wonder if the rest of the site uses an off the shelf template, perhaps even one circulated with phpBB, have you asked then what they use and how they find it if you like the look that much?- it is an off the shelf template, sadly the shelf it came from is proving hard to find. The designer has ceased trading and his portfolio is spread far and wide and the one we are looking for is elusive to say the least. Anyone who can find it, its by designsbydarren Darren Hester. Weve also contacted the brdatabase owner as well but there is no answer from them, the template is under a creative commons licence so should be ok to use.

- As said below, there are multiple other of the shelf content management systems, and I expect if I was creating a site I would make use of one of them.

I have used Drupal briefly and certainly works, we (I was just a moderator) where trying to it largely as a forum, and the forum wasnt as good as IPB/phpBB, and I didnt use the rest of it much, how its popular and must be ok.

The other CMS you might have heard of is WordPress, which I have not used, but is what my sister uses for her website and it appears to work well for her.

Magento is also common, if coming from an eCommerce background. Joomla appears to have an aggressive revenue model.

I have also knocked up a website using 'WIX' which is an online editor which bundles hosting, I was very impressed which how fast I could throw up a basic webpage which I can then edit anywhere I have an internet connection, however it is prehaps not what your after here.

Further reading:

http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/top-10-most-usable-content-management-systems--net-6493

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/01/how-to-choose-the-right-cms/

Daniel

Ive looked at drupal and wordpress and Ive been offered some help by a member on here to use drupal which is very kind, atm I am working on writing a template myself for the menus and general layout that might be used in drupal but Im having trouble saving it as a template. Im using Bluegriffon for html authoring but some features are a little basic.

Ive tried to build similar to the brdatabase using both drupal and wordpress but am struggling, its a lot of experimentation at the moment.

• 3 months later...

Bit of an update for anyone who is interested, ammodels.co.nr is atm offline due to a disagreement between the nation state of Nauru (who own the .nr domain) and the hosts who run .co.nr, its a pain as the forwarding was working well at Dans advice. I might be the only historic canal database to be taken offline by a sovereign government. ninja.gif

So the only way to access the site is via its direct address of http://www.workingboats.com please change your bookmarks/shortcuts/links to this address.

brdatabase is impossible to contact as is the designer of their template and anyone associated with it, numerous attempts have been made and failed sadly so the new site will not look like that one.

I am updating the information held on my lists with the kind permission of virtually everyone I have asked and it is also being expanded upon with gauging details where available (hint hint) engine model and numbers, docking and restoration information and probably other stuff Ive forgotten about right now.

Anyone who has any information on boats they own, have owned, research they have done and images they have taken who would like to be part of this project then please please get in touch. Any and all information will be credited and any mistakes will be accepted as my own in the transcription thereof. Its been mentioned that the train site is what we should be aiming for and I am holding it as my standard but without help from you the custodians of the information the list will be incomplete.

The site is free to use and reference, all I want is for it to be the best and most accurate resource online.

Big big thanks go to Steve (Admiral) for the hosting and Rob M for his work in getting the site to be something usable on all platforms but also to everyone who offered help or who has been kind enough to comment and offer encouragement or criticism, its going to take some time to migrate the information but it is in the pipeline now after being talked about by me for years.

construction.gifjudge.gifconstruction.gif

Edited by AMModels
  • Greenie 1

Bit of an update for anyone who is interested, ammodels.co.nr is atm offline due to a disagreement between the nation state of Nauru (who own the .nr domain) and the hosts who run .co.nr, its a pain as the forwarding was working well at Dans advice. I might be the only historic canal database to be taken offline by a sovereign government. ninja.gif

So the only way to access the site is via its direct address of http://www.workingboats.com please change your bookmarks/shortcuts/links to this address.

brdatabase is impossible to contact as is the designer of their template and anyone associated with it, numerous attempts have been made and failed sadly so the new site will not look like that one.

I am updating the information held on my lists with the kind permission of virtually everyone I have asked and it is also being expanded upon with gauging details where available (hint hint) engine model and numbers, docking and restoration information and probably other stuff Ive forgotten about right now.

Anyone who has any information on boats they own, have owned, research they have done and images they have taken who would like to be part of this project then please please get in touch. Any and all information will be credited and any mistakes will be accepted as my own in the transcription thereof. Its been mentioned that the train site is what we should be aiming for and I am holding it as my standard but without help from you the custodians of the information the list will be incomplete.

The site is free to use and reference, all I want is for it to be the best and most accurate resource online.

Big big thanks go to Steve (Admiral) for the hosting and Rob M for his work in getting the site to be something usable on all platforms but also to everyone who offered help or who has been kind enough to comment and offer encouragement or criticism, its going to take some time to migrate the information but it is in the pipeline now after being talked about by me for years.

construction.gifjudge.gifconstruction.gif

I'm glad you said it will take some time, don't want to take my laptop on the BCN Challenge to keep working on it. biggrin.png

• Greenie 1

I'm glad you said it will take some time, don't want to take my laptop on the BCN Challenge to keep working on it. biggrin.png

cheers.gif you do deserve a weekend off now and then... although there is that 6hr rest period when you'll have nothing to do. :D