AM Models Website

pete harrison

Featured Posts

I do not go on 'historic' boat websites very often but I have just tried the AM Models website. A message states 'Not Found', and a fresh Google search comes up with pretty much the same.

Has this website been terminated or has it been moved to a new website ?

I think the AM Models website was just about the last remaining that offered bulk information relating to 'historic' narrow boats. I am aware of a couple of other 'historic' narrow boat websites that were in the design stages but I am not aware of their publication captain.gif

I think the AM Models website was just about the last remaining that offered bulk information relating to 'historic' narrow boats. I am aware of a couple of other 'historic' narrow boat websites that were in the design stages but I am not aware of their publication captain.gif

In theory there are the boat listing pages on the HNBC site, although it is fairly hit and miss if a particular boat is covered, or how up to date any information is.

It is often a good way of finding pictures of a particular boat, on a site one can actually credit though, so I use it sometimes if someone asks about a specific boat.

I can't really complain about incompleteness of HNBC site though - I promised the web content editor maybe nearly a year back to provide info about one of our boats, and I'm embarrassed to say it is still on my "to do" list.

In theory there are the boat listing pages on the HNBC site, although it is fairly hit and miss if a particular boat is covered, or how up to date any information is.

That's fine for extant boats but the AM Models site has information of interest regarding extinct boats that I am not aware exists elsewhere online.

JP

That's fine for extant boats but the AM Models site has information of interest regarding extinct boats that I am not aware exists elsewhere online.

JP

There is information on Roger Fuller's old website, but it is very out of date.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiE8bjFg6DKAhXChA8KHVhMD8kQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spurstow.com%2Frogerfuller%2Fpages%2Froot.htm&usg=AFQjCNHwXWd8I7tDadd3QhZyQ-qx2S6g0Q

These are mainly Members boats, and as for accuracy........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'll keep quiet then!

Strictly the site actually hosting that is that of Daniel Hutchinson, (who is also the site owner of Canala World Discussion Forums). My memory is that Dan volunteered to take Roger's former site and put up an archive copy, to stop it disappearing from view. It will not have received any update for many, many years. EDIT: Inspection of those pages say probably about 14 years!

Edited by alan_fincher

But I am sure they would appreciate the information you hold on your boats, both for their website and their Boat Register (read Archive) captain.gif

But even if I supply detail, and am sure to credit the (excellent!) source of much of that information, can I necessarily be sure they will put those credits in what I pass on!

EDIT:

Looking at Sickle's page on there demonstrates the difficulties with putting stuff on-line - there is a link to Matt Parrott's former excellent website that detailed the restoration. This web-site remained available a long while after Matt sold the boat, but, unsurprisingly, it no longer exists.

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks Pete. Useful reference point but unfortunately doesn't include the specific information on the boat of interest to me that is (was?) contained in the AM Models listings.

Jon

But even if I supply detail, and am sure to credit the (excellent!) source of much of that information, can I necessarily be sure they will put those credits in what I pass on!

The source would be available within their Boat Register, but I doubt it would be included on their website. To my mind it is accuracy that is important and not the source, and as for me I never ask for acknowledgement and only react to my work being credited to somebody else captain.gif

Thanks Pete. Useful reference point but unfortunately doesn't include the specific information on the boat of interest to me that is (was?) contained in the AM Models listings.

Jon

I think this is probably as good as it is going to get until somebody posts a more up to date website, and perhaps the owner of AM Models may let us know what has happened with his once he reads this thread captain.gif

.....................and only react to my work being credited to somebody else captain.gif

Thanks for that really useful clarification - it is most helpful.

Our main efforts currently with our two boats have focussed around creating a Facebook page for each. I know Facebook is not to everybody's taste, but it gets a bit of historic boat education to those who might not otherwise see it, and, (very usefully), has resulted in contact from people who knew the boats, or who have provided pictures we have not before seen. Also the "timeline" feature in Facebook is an excellent way of keeping boat's history in date order - we can easily insert in the right place anything new that comes up.

I have reproduced some of your researched information on these pages (hopefully correctly!) and included a general credit for thanks for the help you have provided, but explaining it gets too heavy handed to attribute a source to every bit of information listed.

I think this is probably as good as it is going to get until somebody posts a more up to date website, and perhaps the owner of AM Models may let us know what has happened with his once he reads this thread captain.gif

It is not very long ago that I last looked at it, though I could not say exactly when.

To be honest none of these websites are that accurate, the information is lifted, little research has been done and some items seem guesswork. You are better asking a question regarding a boat or boats here where at least a collection of minds can get to work and some of us have a fair amount of archive.

It is a great pity we don't have this: http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php for working boats, it was "looked at" by TWT but quickly forgotten.

For locomotive enthusiasts it is a dream come true.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Hi everyone, the site is down for the time being but I do plan to get a new site up at some time in the future. Contrary to Laurences suggestion, research was performed and first hand knowledge utilised in my site, I cant remember a single piece of "calculated guesswork" that wasnt highlighted as such on the whole site, although some of the information within it was incorrect as I have acknowledged previously.

I have started a conversation with the owner and designer of http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php with the intention of basing the revamped website on their layout but these things are never straightforward and its still in negotiations. I hope to bring a site back to life at some point and will keep those interested up to date with developments.

None of the data is lost I have a complete site backed up but as the primary site I hosted came to its natural conclusion I wasnt able to keep AMModels online without resorting to the awful ad riddled free hosting packages.

Best wishes

Andy

• Greenie 1