60ft dutch trawler.to buy or not to buy rust issues.

davo123

Featured Posts

i have spent years welding classic cars up and i have welded my boat with both a stick and mig welder with no issues, also made numerous flues over the last couple of years out of thick walled pipe again no problems. you just need a can do attitude and the correct equipment sometimes people on here are scared of their own shadows or because they cant do it know one else can

• Greenie 1

i have spent years welding classic cars up and i have welded my boat with both a stick and mig welder with no issues, also made numerous flues over the last couple of years out of thick walled pipe again no problems. you just need a can do attitude and the correct equipment sometimes people on here are scared of their own shadows or because they cant do it know one else can

Or alternatively those of us who are skilled and qualified in this discipline are urging caution as welding a flue is a but different to rescuing a knackered ex fishing boat...

Or alternatively those of us who are skilled and qualified in this discipline are urging caution as welding a flue is a but different to rescuing a knackered ex fishing boat...

How so? having welded up our flue successfully a few years back

- just as a matter of interest.

just to add a genuine question

Edited by bag 'o' bones

How so? having welded up our flue successfully a few years back

- just as a matter of interest.

just to add a genuine question

Because, with all due respect, if you think nailing a flue together puts you in the same skill set as us skilled welders there's not a lot more needs saying.

I've made grown men fall asleep standing up talking about welding theory, I've a far idea your theoretical and practical knowledge would fill the back of a stamp with a comment like the one I've quoted ;)

Especially if it's round chine.

Indeed, a good test of your positional welding skills :)

The standard of vertical and HV welding on your average NB leaves a lot to be desired!

Where's the rubbish then Kris?

We've had one vehicle welder say he's never tackled more than 2mm and wouldn't entertain a project like this without employing a qualified welder.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Where's the rubbish then Kris?

We've had one vehicle welder say he's never tackled more than 2mm and wouldn't entertain a project like this without employing a qualified welder.

Sounds pretty good to me.

I was a structural engineer before I decided that welding up classic cars would be more fun and less stress so I can specify and criticise welds to a degree and I do know what I'm aiming for. I have welded up to 1/4" thick - thicker is easier as I'm sure you know, but I can also weld very thin steel very neatly. :)

However welding is a profession, I don't have the time or inclination to get to a repeatable standard I'd be happy with to weld a boat and I certainly wouldn't want to be a full time welder.

The coded welders I do know also appear to spend a lot of time being tested and on many jobs every weld they do is microscopically examined. That can't be for nothing. :)

I've made grown men fall asleep standing up talking about welding theory, I've a far idea your theoretical and practical knowledge would fill the back of a stamp with a comment like the one I've quoted wink.png

I've been bored to tears by welders - ask them one simple question...

I was a structural engineer before I decided that welding up classic cars would be more fun and less stress so I can specify and criticise welds to a degree and I do know what I'm aiming for. I have welded up to 1/4" thick - thicker is easier as I'm sure you know, but I can also weld very thin steel very neatly. :)

However welding is a profession, I don't have the time or inclination to get to a repeatable standard I'd be happy with to weld a boat and I certainly wouldn't want to be a full time welder.

The coded welders I do know also appear to spend a lot of time being tested and on many jobs every weld they do is microscopically examined. That can't be for nothing. :)

I've been bored to tears by welders - ask them one simple question...

Try 'where's that tenner you owe me?' Certain to get an evasive answer :)

My fave response to the question 'can you weld?' Is 'I can weld two sheets of the News of the World together baby!' Get some proper bemused looks with that one! :)

I must admit I pinched that from my college lecturer years ago :cheers:

Edited by gazza

Because, with all due respect, if you think nailing a flue together puts you in the same skill set as us skilled welders there's not a lot more needs saying.

I've made grown men fall asleep standing up talking about welding theory, I've a far idea your theoretical and practical knowledge would fill the back of a stamp with a comment like the one I've quoted wink.png

Indeed, a good test of your positional welding skills smile.png

The standard of vertical and HV welding on your average NB leaves a lot to be desired!

Fair comment. There is no substitute for knowledge and experience.

Although just to say having been complimented by a coded welder on the quality of my welds i'm pretty sure if I were to be shown how to correctly approach a particular welding situation - in this case a boat hull - I would be competent enough to complete the job as good as a professional albeit taking longer.

(although I will admit welding up something like a steam multi-tube super heater with a mirror would take a hell of a lot of practice than the average straightforward seam weld).

Fact is some people become good welders without much instruction whilst others will never get a feel for it. Like any practical technique really.

At Titchmarsh mill a lot of work has been done to renovate and preserve the mill workings, none of it is capable of running ....

Not familiar with the mill, but why can it not be got running?

The OP has gone very quiet ....

COuld just be visiting family, or anything else that happens outside of the internet!

Daniel

Not familiar with the mill, but why can it not be got running?

COuld just be visiting family, or anything else that happens outside of the internet!

Daniel

The wheel is in a state, there's no sluice gear remaining and those of us who moor in the mill pool would find it a trifle inconvenient!

There was talk of getting it going to generate our electricity, we are on generators as there is no mains to the site, cost and the impact on our mooring arrangements soon canned that pipe dream.

The owner of Woodford mill just upstream has got one of his wheels going again, I think it's the only working one left on the river with public access.

Ashton mill downstream had a lovely museum thats now sadly shut, the wheel had been replaced by a couple of diesel engines.

Bear in mind these mills date from the 1700's and a few are in a bit of a parlous state!

Forgot to mention, our mill was still operating in 1960 but powered by a diesel engine mounted on a concrete plinth outside the building, this is still insitu and the drive pulley can be seen on the external wall.

We get a mention in BB's Summer on the Nene first printed in '67 the club moved from Islip to Titchmarsh mill in '66 BB WS shown round by a club member as preparations were being made to the mill.

Or alternatively those of us who are skilled and qualified in this discipline are urging caution as welding a flue is a but different to rescuing a knackered ex fishing boat...t

gazza, i have watched johnathon wilson building boats for years, when my boat was in for stretching i helped because i had nothing better to do am i qualified no, can i do it yes because i have been welding for 40 odd years. it is far easier to weld thick steel using jonnys selection of welders than with my stick welder and mig, i am sure that the op if he took on this task would buy the right equipment. i have watched jonny and his boys start on a monday and by saturday have a fully primed blacked and foam sprayed 57 foot n/b leave the workshop, the op knows its going to be a long job but according to the thread a large amount of the boat has been plated already.

on our moorings we had two home built boats, one was a 60 x 14 dutch barge which took steve the owner 3 years to build and is now in france, it is stunning. also a 60 x 10 widebeam with wheelhouse it took paul 8 weeks to build the shell and 1 year in total to finish the job. again it is a lovely boat. neither of these two people are boat builders, they are just can do people with drive and determination. just because you may not be able to do the job dont tar brush others, out there are many gifted people who do this stuff every day

gazza, i have watched johnathon wilson building boats for years, when my boat was in for stretching i helped because i had nothing better to do am i qualified no, can i do it yes because i have been welding for 40 odd years. it is far easier to weld thick steel using jonnys selection of welders than with my stick welder and mig, i am sure that the op if he took on this task would buy the right equipment. i have watched jonny and his boys start on a monday and by saturday have a fully primed blacked and foam sprayed 57 foot n/b leave the workshop, the op knows its going to be a long job but according to the thread a large amount of the boat has been plated already.

on our moorings we had two home built boats, one was a 60 x 14 dutch barge which took steve the owner 3 years to build and is now in france, it is stunning. also a 60 x 10 widebeam with wheelhouse it took paul 8 weeks to build the shell and 1 year in total to finish the job. again it is a lovely boat. neither of these two people are boat builders, they are just can do people with drive and determination. just because you may not be able to do the job dont tar brush others, out there are many gifted people who do this stuff every day

You've not clicked that I'm a well qualified and experienced welder/fabricator then....

You've not clicked that I'm a well qualified and experienced welder/fabricator then....

How could we have missed that. All your posts seem to have been saying how good you are and how many "Certs" you have. Are you trying to convince "us" or yourself.

In my experience the best boat builders I've met, don't have any qualifications other than having done it.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

It's a statement of facts, in how many of your posts have you talked about your qualifications or abilities. Whilst belittling the op, with out even knowing him?

No Kris, as normal you decide to come out with a load of poppycock about belittling the OP as you seem to delight in disrupting a discussion. I merely stated that welding cars is not a good start to become a shipwright - i can say this with confidence having the benefit of ample experience and technical training.

I also, as mentioned earlier have had the dubious pleasure of saving a sad old narrow boat for my mum and step dad, a far easier task than saving a knackered trawler from its date with a cutting torch.

Several other well qualified and experienced engineers have also stated that the only sensible thing to do with this boat is to forget it.

Still, without dreamers and the world would be a sadder place.

PS, don't get me started on any idiot can weld.

my point is gazza that you and the others dont know that the op cant do this job you are just saying you wouldnt do it.

It's not a very good point, though, Peter.

If a well-qualified and experienced welder says he wouldn't tackle the job, then people with fewer qualifications and less experience would be very well advised to take note.

An amateur welder extended the coach roof of my barge. You can tell his section from 200 yards away without a telescope. Thank God he didn't go near the hull.