finding best adhesives to bond grp to wood

keithh

Featured Posts

When I first learnt carpentry we used fish glue. It didn't smell too bad. I suspect Holts use the wrong sort of fish.

I remember boiling it up in the schools woodwork room.

Shiphams do a good one, called 'Salmon and shrimp'.

I have been conducting some in-depth research into aircraft glue, Bizz, (aka reading Wikipedia) and it seems that it was the Mosquito's successor, the Hornet, that used early epoxy. It was called Redux, and the same company later marketed Araldite.

I remember boiling it up in the schools woodwork room.

Shiphams do a good one, called 'Salmon and shrimp'.

There is still plenty of it around in the supermarkets, but I don't know anybody who buys it. I suspect it's largely the over-80s.

I have been conducting some in-depth research into aircraft glue, Bizz, (aka reading Wikipedia) and it seems that it was the Mosquito's successor, the Hornet, that used early epoxy. It was called Redux, and the same company later marketed Araldite.

Surely In depth research is for researching submarines, was there an HMS Hornet sub, I think it may have been a destroyer. anyhow, interesting though,that it was the Hornet and not the Mosquito that was stuck together with it, a lot stronger than jam.

the secret to all glueing, sealing and bonding is proper preparation and good design of the joint.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Though I s'pose you could add optimum choice of adhesive/sealant, but it's a given.

ISTR Sikaflex 221 is a bit more flexible than the norm, their website should tell all.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Bigcol the evostick Sticks Like stuff you linked me to sounds just the stuff for the front screen thanks for that.

No problem Keithh

as other posts you can get it from screw fix and other places.

Good luck with the job.

you be surprised how strong and good it is.

All the best

Col

I used a polyurethane adhesive like the lumberjack mentioned earlier in the thread to stick the wooden ceiling beams to the roof when I lined out a small grp cruiser.

As said it foams to fill small gaps.

That was 10 years ago and it hasn't fallen down yet.

The evostik sticks like mentioned earlier is also good but is more of a flexible sealer though it will stick, so use for the bigger gaps!

This sort of question seems to come up on a weekly basis on this forum. Whatever adhesive you use it must stay flexible when cured because of the different thermal expansion and contraction characteristics of different materials and the fact that the materials themselves may flex. Some of the suggestions on this thread won't be flexible once cured.

I would try marineflex or Stixall from Toolstation. Both PU adhesives. If you can abrade/key both surfaces first and clean the dust and any grease off first with a bit of white spirit you will get a better bond.

Exactly. Epoxy is really the only proper solution for a wood/grp joint.

Epoxy is too brittle for some jobs. It won't flex.

Edited by blackrose

This sort of question seems to come up on a weekly basis on this forum. Whatever adhesive you use it must stay flexible when cured because of the different thermal expansion and contraction characteristics of different materials and the fact that the materials themselves may flex. Some of the suggestions on this thread won't be flexible once cured.

I would try marineflex or Stixall from Toolstation. Both PU adhesives. If you can abrade/key both surfaces first and clean the dust and any grease off first with a bit of white spirit you will get a better bond.

Epoxy is too brittle for some jobs. It won't flex.

The thread is titled: finding best adhesives to bond grp to wood

For a strong bond, I stand by epoxy. If the OP just wants a good seal, then yes I agree with you.

Edited by George94