Who's off to Crick this year?

Bobphilips

Featured Posts

Carole and I are setting up camp on plot 32 on Friday evening. We would be happy to play 'middleman' for the ticket if you can 'first class' it to us. :captain: we already have our tickets.

If we can help we will.

you are all too kind! I think I will probably pootle up there at some point this week anyway to torment him, so I will give him his ticket then.

Give us a hoot and wave when you sail past . . .

Hi,

I looked out for you but you were all locked up when I went by.

I am sure we will cross paths again ^_^

I looked out for you but you were all locked up when I went by.

I am sure we will cross paths again :wacko:

We were probably out looking for another replacement diesel injection pump - a long and sad story . . .

^_^

i'm going to be taken to crick by a friend (yes i have two of them!) so if anyone sees a tall dark handsome bloke in a gucci outfit its not me but i do have a black baseball cap with 'cancun' written on it in white and i'm tall and skinny. Do say hello to me if you want to i am friendly. If this post prints twice sorry i can't avoid it.

(I'm going on monday)

I had a wonderful day at the show yesterday (Saturday) - and although it was a bit black overhead at least I stayed dry this year!

Hope everyone going today or Monday will be as lucky with the weather as the forecast's not so good :cheers:

The selection of boats was as good as ever... But does anyone else think they are starting to look a bit 'sameish', with the only real difference being how well finished they are? I think the best finished was probably the Heartwood boat (and it probably had the longest queue to view) - but with so many quality builds it would be hard to pick a clear winner

The boats that caught my eye for being a bit 'different' were La Di Dah from Big Fish, and the one from Daddys Boat Co (I love the way they finish their boats!), but for me, the one I was most attracted to (in my price range anyway!) was a Polish built boat named Paris from Amber boats

The music was a bit different too... I'm sure anyone at the beer tent yesterday will remember that drum band for a long time to come! I'll be hearing them in me sleep!!! ;)

One slight complaint... Last year we took sooo long getting in that we left extra time this year and arrived well early (along with hundreds of others!), but after a 3 hour drive we couldn't get a cuppa or bite to eat till they opened the gates (which in fairness to the organisers they did half an hour early - catching a few of the exhibitors out...), so cummon Crick - why not have a food stall in the carpark for next year?

There were the usual bunch of stalls selling 'show specials' which to be honest were less than special (did anyone else see the stall selling leather hats at the 'bargain' price of 49 quid?!?!?), and though the food was good quality, a sausage baguette and a coke seems a tad excessive at a fiver...

The kids entertainment was looking pretty good value again - but does anyone else think the show is heading towards being a 'family fun day' with boats, more than a boat show with other attractions? Dunno about others, but did the show really need a stilt walker for example?

Btw - I did look out for Gary of Legard - where were you Gary?

Hope you all had/have safe journeys

Allan

Had a good day too. The traffic was stationary to well west of the M1, but we sailed past on the bike - great.

Seemed to be more boats that ever this year - what surprises me though is how poorly finished some are - even so called high spec ones - with gaps round the bulkheads and cupboard doors not square.

Took sandwiches knowing how average and over-priced the food is, and got a couple of show-special items I will need for my fit-out so made it all worthwhile. Stayed dry too, but I doubt it will be very dry today!

The selection of boats was as good as ever... But does anyone else think they are starting to look a bit 'sameish' ...

Did you see the stand with an illustration of a red and white boat with what I called "go faster windows". From looking at my program it would seem to be Fernwood Craft. Some very interesting ideas.

The music was a bit different too... I'm sure anyone at the beer tent yesterday will remember that drum band for a long time to come! I'll be hearing them in me sleep!!!

I was even hearing it this morning. I bought the CD!

a sausage baguette and a coke seems a tad excessive at a fiver...

Someone complained about the price at the curry stall and was told to look around. "Compared to what they are charging we are good value". (Quoted from memory, so not verbatim.) Beer wasn't cheap either. Called in one of the villages on the way back and got a nice pint of Landlord for £2.00

Btw - I did look out for Gary of Legard - where were you Gary?

Yeah. Me too!

Norman

Did you see the stand with an illustration of a red and white boat with what I called "go faster windows". From looking at my program it would seem to be Fernwood Craft. Some very interesting ideas.

I was even hearing it this morning. I bought the CD!

Someone complained about the price at the curry stall and was told to look around. "Compared to what they are charging we are good value". (Quoted from memory, so not verbatim.) Beer wasn't cheap either. Called in one of the villages on the way back and got a nice pint of Landlord for £2.00

Yeah. Me too!

Norman

Interesting how the ideas come around. I remember that go faster widows were very popular on merchant ships in the 50's and 60's. By the time I was studying naval architecture at Southampton the lecturer was decrying them as dreadful taste.

Samey! Absolutely. Light oak all around. Very beautifully executed and fits in with the minimalist fashion but leaves no room for a change of colour. I like a bit of paint on the inside so that you can change the decor from time to time.

Incidentally, Fernwood boats are made just up the road from me, about 30 miles from the nearest navigable water!

Nick

I remember that go faster widows were very popular on merchant ships in the 50's and 60's.

Nick

I was suffering from (what now seems to have been the last day of) a head cold and I am normally a bit deaf anyway, so don't take any of the following as absolute.

However, we were told that it had been commissioned by a couple who had returned from boating in Europe and a lot of the design features were based on what they had liked on the boats out there. This included the window design and electronic controls rather than the usual cables.

It also had full air-conditioning. How that would fit in with the low energy consumption eco-crowd I wouldn't like to guess! Though all of the windows were sealed doubled-glazed units.

The one part of the window design that I could see as being practical was the replacement of a single large window with three separate narrow ones. For those who specify portholes for their heightened security this could offer similar levels while letting in more light.

They had hoped to have had it completed and on the water at the show but there had been a delay in the steel supply. Launch was now scheduled for June.

Pity it wasn't there as I think it would have created quite a stir!

Norman

Hi all

We were at Crick today met Bones, Maffi, Bazza and Baldock. Sorry you were out Graham and Jane.

The Fernwood boat is as Norman says a concept boat, and just a little more information it will have a total of five TV screens including one in the shower.

The main screen 32'' plasma, in the saloon, will rise from a corner unit and then swivel to the proper viewing angle.

It also has a 'captains chair' as per the gin palaces and the boat is controled by joystick.

Ps. Fernwood are to build our boat but it will not be like that one.

Interesting how the ideas come around. I remember that go faster widows were very popular on merchant ships in the 50's and 60's. By the time I was studying naval architecture at Southampton the lecturer was decrying them as dreadful taste.

Samey! Absolutely. Light oak all around. Very beautifully executed and fits in with the minimalist fashion but leaves no room for a change of colour. I like a bit of paint on the inside so that you can change the decor from time to time.

Incidentally, Fernwood boats are made just up the road from me, about 30 miles from the nearest navigable water!

Nick

Didn't Dartline boats have go-faster windows back in the early days of hire craft?

The more things change the more they stay the same eh?

Talking of innovation though - did anyone else see the boat with the fold out TV/DVD? The tv is hidden inside a cupboard out of sight when not in use... a very good idea, and well built too

Allan

Edited by AllanW

Talking of innovation though - did anyone else see the boat with the fold out TV/DVD? The tv is hidden inside a cupboard out of sight when not in use... a very good idea, and well built too

Allan

I saw one where the flat screen tv was mounted in a wooden slide that withdrew into the back of the cupboard in the bedroom - pretty cool I thought - think it was the same boat that had the bootom half of the bed raised by an electric motor controlled by remote switch

Didn't Dartline boats have go-faster windows back in the early days of hire craft?

The more things change the more they stay the same eh?

Allan

Daddy's boats had that on their boat Alan, I assume its the one you mean. A slim oak cabinet on the right by the salon steps, when you opened the door the flat screen TV swiveled out at an angle. Vey clever.

Les

Daddy's boats had that on their boat Alan, I assume its the one you mean. A slim oak cabinet on the right by the salon steps, when you opened the door the flat screen TV swiveled out at an angle. Vey clever.

Les

Yup that's the one...

I suggested to them they might like to make it a steel cupboard with a wooden facing for extra security. But in any event, it's something I'll be adopting when I finally get one built. Pinching good ideas is what I enjoy most about Crick! :cheers:

Daddys boats always seem so well finished... I think I preffered last years boat though

Allan

Yup that's the one...

I suggested to them they might like to make it a steel cupboard with a wooden facing for extra security. But in any event, it's something I'll be adopting when I finally get one built. Pinching good ideas is what I enjoy most about Crick! :cheers:

Daddys boats always seem so well finished... I think I preffered last years boat though

Allan

I agree about idea gathering/pinching Allen, Im sure we all do that every year at Crick. And I agree about Daddy's boats, I like Richards style and the way he works, infact he'll be starting my fit out in about 6 weeks time hopefully !!!!

Rgds

Les

I agree about idea gathering/pinching Allen, Im sure we all do that every year at Crick. And I agree about Daddy's boats, I like Richards style and the way he works, infact he'll be starting my fit out in about 6 weeks time hopefully !!!!

Rgds

Les

Hello Les

I saw his boat and spoke to him last year at Crick. I didn't go this year mainly because I've just picked up my new boat but I thought his exhibit one of the best last year on the basis of internal appearance and voted for it though it didn't win. He is one of the few builders who fits Hurricane diesel central heating which is what I have on my boat. I wish you all the best with him, his boats are certainly attractive.

http://www.daddysboat.co.uk/

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Rgds

Les

Grrrrrrr - 6 weeks!!! I'm not jealous honest! :cheers:

Seriously though - I'm sure you'll get a wonderful boat, and I'm sure I speak for a lot here when I say we look forward to seeing the pictures!

What name are you having btw?

Good luck

Allan

Hello Les

I saw his boat and spoke to him last year at Crick. I didn't go this year mainly because I've just picked up my new boat but I thought his exhibit one of the best last year on the basis of internal appearance and voted for it though it didn't win. He is one of the few builders who fits Hurricane diesel central heating which is what I have on my boat. I wish you all the best with him, his boats are certainly attractive.

http://www.daddysboat.co.uk/

regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

You have your boat, thats wonderful news, congratulations ! I hope everything is as you expected and your enjoying the first few days afloat.

Richard at Daddy's style is distintive and personally I love it. I'm having fun going over all the final details with him and that will still be ongoing for a while Im sure. My boat wont be as'radical' of some of his others but Im hoping it will be what we've dreamed of. I'll start a blog after we're underway. Thanks for your best wishes, its certainly a scarey time as well as being so very exciting !

Best of luck with your new boat,any photo's to show us ?

Rgds

Les

Grrrrrrr - 6 weeks!!! I'm not jealous honest! :unsure:

Seriously though - I'm sure you'll get a wonderful boat, and I'm sure I speak for a lot here when I say we look forward to seeing the pictures!

What name are you having btw?

Good luck

Allan

Hi Allan,

Its been a long time coming so Im still pinching myself that its finally about to happen (fingers firmly crossed, still not sure my nerves will hold out lol). I'll get the build blog going as soon as we're underway and post weekly updates with lots of pics (I know how much i've enjoyed other people's blogs so I must return the favour now its nearly my turn).

We haven't got a name as yet, a few months to decide lol

Rgds

Les

Edited by Lesd

Had a good day too. The traffic was stationary to well west of the M1, but we sailed past on the bike - great.

Seemed to be more boats that ever this year - what surprises me though is how poorly finished some are - even so called high spec ones - with gaps round the bulkheads and cupboard doors not square.

Took sandwiches knowing how average and over-priced the food is, and got a couple of show-special items I will need for my fit-out so made it all worthwhile. Stayed dry too, but I doubt it will be very dry today!

Also had a great day but coming from Northampton - no queue! For anyone wanting to try this next year:

From M1 South, leave at J16 to Northampton. turn left at 1st roundabout onto minor roads (cross one road then left and immediate right) following signs for industrial area but on reaching the A428 turn left away from Northampton. Stay on this road until shortly before Crick, turn right into the car park.

From M1/M6 North leave at M1 J19 onto A14. Leave at J1 towards Northampton. 1st. right (in dip / 40 mph limit) to Cold Ashby. At far end of village, left fork? to West Haddon by-pass (new) - turn right onto A428. Stay on this road until shortly before Crick, turn right into the car park.

But don't tell everybody!

what surprises me though is how poorly finished some are - even so called high spec ones - with gaps round the bulkheads and cupboard doors not square.

Yes...I do agree, some of the joinery was a joke, some of the design for design's sake was laughable, some of the sales pitch was really annoying.

Having got that off my chest we saw and inspected a few real gems.

Our fav was Bagherra (Louis and Joshua) the paint colour was horrible but extremely well applied, the interior was superb and the lady that showed us the boat was a diamond.

Other stars (for us) were 'Senior Moment' both the Steve Hudson offerings and the Braidbar 100, altho the boatmans cabin was a tad ott, the woodwork on the Kingsground was very professional and tactile'.

The curry from the Indian greasy spoon was luvelly.

I fell in love with Roosters.........mmmmmmmmmmm :unsure:

The mud was dire. :cheers:

Did anyone else goon the big yellow broadbeam from Reading Marine ? It had every conceivable piece of technology on it but at £230K (I heard that figure from someone else not the owner) I think it was well OTT. Each to their own though I guess !

Hi Steve,

You have your boat, thats wonderful news, congratulations ! I hope everything is as you expected and your enjoying the first few days afloat.

Best of luck with your new boat,any photo's to show us ?

Rgds

Les

Hello Les

Thanks. I've posted some photos in my build blog.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar