Wood/Coal Heat Differences?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Yes, coal tar can be a problem too. But it makes great soap.

I saw what you did their Nick. :-)

I had to Google it out of curiosity .

Blinkin eck !

I would of thought it gave a 'bin downt pit complection.'

post-24819-0-54116700-1449256751.jpg

Edited by GreyLady

somebody mentioned pine cones as a great fire lighter but an even finer one is dried orange peel !!! (occasionally it's handy being an orangoholic biggrin.png )

A source of acetylene.

Before toothpaste was invented folk used soot from the chimney, flue-fluoride.

As you have access to 'free wood' be aware that it takes about 3 years to season, one of these is worth having if you go down that road.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-NEW-Digital-Moisture-Meter-Wood-Timber-Damp-Tester-with-FREE-BATTERY-UK-/390563713397?hash=item5aef695175:g:4KQAAOxyBjBTTQYG

Wood such as oak & beech is better than pine as pine contains a lot of resin.

As you have access to 'free wood' be aware that it takes about 3 years to season, one of these is worth having if you go down that road.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-NEW-Digital-Moisture-Meter-Wood-Timber-Damp-Tester-with-FREE-BATTERY-UK-/390563713397?hash=item5aef695175:g:4KQAAOxyBjBTTQYG

Seasoning time varies tremendously (treemendously?) with the type of wood. Birch for example is pretty quick, 1 year plenty. Personally I don't see the need for a moisture meter, the weight of a lump of wood is a good guide to how much water / sap remains inside it (bearing in mind different types of wood have different densities).

We have an electric log splitter at the gliding club, it's a slowly travelling v shaped ram that pushes against the log to split it. Works really well. So we need mr Bizzard to design the boaty version, I envisage a bow (of the boat I mean) v-shaped fitting and some sort of protruding rack that could slide backwards, so you would load the rack up with some logs and drive the boat into a wall / lock gate, whereupon the logs would all be split in two. Simples!

Edited by nicknorman

Yes, coal tar can be a problem too. But it makes great soap.

That's Wright.

Whoops, I see that Brassy beat me to it. Great minds etc. We used to have Wright's Coal Tar Soap in the house when I were a little boy, as a back-up to Mum's favourite Imperial Leather (again an odd name for a soap - surely it should have been "lather"?) Paradoxically, it always smelled very clean and fresh.

Thanks for the link Chewbaka.

The trees on his farm are mainly beech trees, with a bit of luck he will let me have wood that's already been stored for a while in payment of me helping him with hay making in the summer.

Seasoning time varies tremendously (treemendously?) with the type of wood. Birch for example is pretty quick, 1 year plenty. Personally I don't see the need for a moisture meter, the weight of a lump of wood is a good guide to how much water / sap remains inside it (bearing in mind different types of wood have different densities).

Ah but for someone not so experienced a meter will help them to get a feel for how the texture and weight changes as it dries out. After a couple of winters she probably will not need it, but for less than a tenner it seemed like a good idea.

Better than burning wet wood and all the problems that go with it.

Eh? b0221.gif

Eh makin with a massey fergie tractor :-)

Not quite a phantom F4, slightly less fun.

Ah but for someone not so experienced a meter will help them to get a feel for how the texture and weight changes as it dries out. After a couple of winters she probably will not need it, but for less than a tenner it seemed like a good idea.

Better than burning wet wood and all the problems that go with it.

Thanks it was a great idea.

Edited by GreyLady