What size genny

Neil Smith

Featured Posts

Oh definitely bigger the better......as it just so happens I have this lovely 15Kw three phase 1500 rpm alternator that would suit you perfectly, all you would have to do is couple it up to a nice big engine and Bobs your uncle.......and it could all be yours for just a few miserable purple bits of paper smile.png

Hi all,

What size genny would I need for an inverter/charger combi that has a 4 stage 70 amp 12volt charger.

Cheers Neil

Have a look at this post. Of course being a Combi you will probably be feeding AC supply through it and inadvertantly or deliberately be tempted to run other AC devices simultaneously. If so then extra allowance would have to be made for such.

Edited by by'eck

Don't forget that the headline power is rarely the continuous rated power. You might expect my EU20i to be 2Kw, but it is only 1.6kw continuous.

I don't know, but its likely that "1.5kw" generator will have a continuous rating closer to 1 kW, which might not be enough for the potential surge on a 70A charger.

Just my 2p worth :)

1.5kW is around double the current of the charger, so should be ok if it's a good make, like Honda.

70A charger @ 12 Volts 840W plus loses say 20% 1008Ws.

To an extent it will depend on the specific charger

Whose combi/charger have you got?

Edited by Graham.m

21kg is OK for me to lug about, but too heavy for my wife. Worth thinking about before committing.

I agree.

My 2kW Loncin 2000i is similar weight and size to the EU20i and it really is a lump of a thing to manhandle about.

I've just bought the cheap and cheerful £189 one from Screwfix that is half the size and one third of the weight of the Loncin and I use in in preference all the time.

Thanks for replies, 1.5kw to 2kw seem recomended but i think Johns 15kw is a bit overkill even as I do happen to have a good yanmar 3 pot in the work shop so could supply a fair few boats along the cut.

Neil

Well it's only 5Kw really (15/3) with 10Kw going to waste - unless you can share it with two neighbouring boats.....

( I jest)

That's it then the Honda's for me then, I might go for LPG if possible anyone got one.

Neil

I have an Eu20i running on LPG. It works very well, very reliable and quiet, just not quite so good at starting as when on petrol. Usually 3rd or 4th pull rather than first. I run it on the towpath but have it plumbed in to the boats LPG system using a bbq quick release socket together with a dedicated gas shut off tap just in case the bbq socket should ever leak. All of which is mounted in the gas locker. Much more convenient than lugging a seperate gas bottle around. It happily runs my Victron Combi Multiplus 3000. I had mine converted by Pete Noble of Pete Power. Very knowlegable and helpful chap. http://www.petepower.co.uk

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Can you start it on petrol then switch over.

Neil

Not on the conversion I have. The petrol tank is not used. It only uses LPG.

I can't see the reason you would want to anyway, in my opinion the idea of using LPG is to remove the need of carrying petrol onboard. Starting it really isn't an issue.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

I can't see the reason you would want to anyway,

So you can use Genny somewhere else?

Mine regularly goes in van for site work. LPG would be a PITA.

Edited by Dinz