fixing squirrel down

Featured Posts

hi all, does anyone on the forum have any ideas on securing my morso squirrel onto its plinth,i`ve tilled the plinth but have had no joy trying to drill into it to screw the stove down, i think the tiles are porcelain, i`ve tried a masonry drill bit and a steel bit but they wont touch it, all help much appreciated

Hi, I used KB weld onto a marble type base around the feet of my Aarow ecoburn stove very successfully and it passed the BSS inspection.

It is still solid despite a few knocks and bumps boating, I initially tried a test piece to see how hard it was to shift and had to be quite brutal in removing it (hammer and chisel !).

hi all, does anyone on the forum have any ideas on securing my morso squirrel onto its plinth,i`ve tilled the plinth but have had no joy trying to drill into it to screw the stove down, i think the tiles are porcelain, i`ve tried a masonry drill bit and a steel bit but they wont touch it, all help much appreciated

I'm inclined to agree if a masonry bit won't penetrate them.

Drilling porcelain is a totally different kettle of fish to ordinary glazed tiles. Try a glass drill and plenty of lubrication...

I bought some 1" Victorian quarry tiles, some red, some beige! My idea was (and still/now is) to screw L-brackets into the wooden floor, that will pop up behind the back of the 4 squirrel legs. My tiles are drilled (and chiselled) a few times to allow them to slide over the bracket uprights in the correct position. I'm then going to drill through the legs of the stove and bolt it in place.

Re the tiles (and my point), I was SO lucky the holes went through the red ones (fortunate checker design) because, had they gone through the beige ones it would've been a different story altogether...

Diamond blade in an angle-grinder...cuts through red tiles like butter. The beige tiles? Sparks, effort, near white-hot blade, and easily 5 times the work, unbelievable! Had to satisfy myself with cutting a third of the way down on both sides and snapping them! Victorian SUPER tiles.

If your tiles are the same ones, you'll need a diamond or glass cutting bit at least.

Best of luck,

Stuart

I got some threaded rod and cut it to size. Threaded it into the body of the stove then but the legs on and bolted them up.

The tails of the rod were left long to go through the hearth...

Drilled 4 holes and bolted that from behind the hearth - with a bit of wood so as not to bolt directly to stone.

You dont see the rods, The weight of the stove is still on the feet. Rock solid.