Winter moorings

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

OK a hypothetical or may be not question and note I am a marina dweller so this wouldn't apply to me.

If a CCer takes a winter mooring does that mooring for those months become his home mooring?

If it does can he cruise from there in the same way I can from my mooring, ie travel out moor up for a bit, move on and then return to the mooring?

If so when he/she returns to the mooring is the cruising pattern clock reset, ie travel to Stone stay 14 days on to Gt Haywood and stay, back to Stone for another 14 days and back to the mooring.

What has prompted this thought is the, what appears to me to be the stupid location of winter moorings. At Rugeley between the aqueduct and the by pass, to get water you have to go all the way to Gt Haywood and back. Stone, up above the town so there to get water its down through 3 locks and then back again.

So could a boater take a mooring above Stone spend say a week there and then two weeks in town before going back to his mooring for a week and then repeating it. Who would want to be stuck out there for 4 months?

Seems to me that situation is the same even if the boater does not pay for the winter mooring. It would all come down to how CRT reacted to the cruising pattern and whether they deemed it acceptable. I don't think it is any more complex than that!

Cheers

Edited by nine9feet

I must confess I don't really understand the question. We're taking up a winter mooring which gives us the freedom to stay in one place until the end of February. During that time we will have trips out to fill up with water, empty the loo and enjoy a bit of winter boating. As I understand it our £170 per month for unserviced towpath means we can do as we please.

I hope!

Hmm just had a reread and I think I know where you're coming from now. We've chosen a spot that ticks our boxes and we will moor here for the majority of the time, but I think you're saying what about boaters that choose a WM in a location they don't really want to stay and then spend most of the winter at VMs elsewhere, just popping back every two weeks. Stone's a good example - a popular spot on the system (we're at Westport Lake - not very far away)

Personally I have deep misgivings about these new rules for boaters with home moorings and I don't think they have any foundation in law. I suppose that extends to ccers that pay for winter moorings.

Interestingly Festival Park Marina charge less than we're paying - we'll pay the excess to see the canal rather than another boat out of our window.

Edited by Ange

? £ 170 A MONTH ,in winter with no facilities on the towpath , You obviously pay that for a reason but wow,

Yes Wow indeed.It was the spurious argument over planning laws as the reason for shelving the General Towpath Permit that irked me.

I know the usual suspects are going to now post that they weren't spurious,but if you are on a "site" and I am 50 yards round the corner

I can't believe questions are going to be asked in the house so to speak

OK a hypothetical or may be not question and note I am a marina dweller so this wouldn't apply to me.

If a CCer takes a winter mooring does that mooring for those months become his home mooring?

If it does can he cruise from there in the same way I can from my mooring, ie travel out moor up for a bit, move on and then return to the mooring?

If so when he/she returns to the mooring is the cruising pattern clock reset, ie travel to Stone stay 14 days on to Gt Haywood and stay, back to Stone for another 14 days and back to the mooring.

What has prompted this thought is the, what appears to me to be the stupid location of winter moorings. At Rugeley between the aqueduct and the by pass, to get water you have to go all the way to Gt Haywood and back. Stone, up above the town so there to get water its down through 3 locks and then back again.

So could a boater take a mooring above Stone spend say a week there and then two weeks in town before going back to his mooring for a week and then repeating it. Who would want to be stuck out there for 4 months?

Your desperate to find some advantage to having a winter mooring ditch crawler lol. When I had the General Towpath Permit last year the checker told me that

the boat drops off their system for the duration so that is why he never checked it.This I assume would no longer be of benefit to the boater for as soon as he left

the official site he would be non compliant after 14 days.You are suggesting cruising in a confined area on the basis of having a winter mooring nearby,it could be done

as long as the 14 days weren't exceeded but a bit pointless unless you knew you were going to be iced in and quickly nipped nearer a water point

Edited by CDS

Sorry I have not worded it very well. I for one wouldnt want to stop on the winter moorings at Stone as they are miles from town and miles from a water point being north of the winding hole above bridge 96A. I would rather moor in town.

What I was getting at, if someone took one of these moorings could they then ligitamatle spend 14 days in Stone, return to their mooring for a short time, middle of nowhere and then go back to Stone for a further 14 days before returning for a few more days on their mooring and keep repeating it through the winter,so they spend a majority of the time in town.

I am sure if you are moored in Ashton marina this is allowed.

Ring CRT and tell them that you are now in a marina. They will update their records but you will also need to remember when you set off CC again.

Ring CRT and tell them that you are now in a marina. They will update their records but you will also need to remember when you set off CC again.

But its not in a marina its a CRT winter mooring and I assume (might be wrong) but they would know who has bought a winter mooring from them.

Sorry I have not worded it very well. I for one wouldnt want to stop on the winter moorings at Stone as they are miles from town and miles from a water point being north of the winding hole above bridge 96A. I would rather moor in town.

What I was getting at, if someone took one of these moorings could they then ligitamatle spend 14 days in Stone, return to their mooring for a short time, middle of nowhere and then go back to Stone for a further 14 days before returning for a few more days on their mooring and keep repeating it through the winter,so they spend a majority of the time in town.

I am sure if you are moored in Ashton marina this is allowed.

I think you have hit on something that shows just how ridiculous things have become.

My guess is no, this wouldn't be allowed because you are effectively making it a Roving Winter mooring permit.

Keith

Surely this is just over complicating things.

If you have a licence, you may navigate the system to your hearts content (within the rules for mooring).

If you have a fixed mooring you may remain stationary on the mooring for the period of that mooring.

Having a fixed mooring doesn't prohibit one from cruising.

For nine months every year I am a continuous cruiser, with no fixed paid for mooring.

For three months I take a mooring so I can leave the boat whilst I work.

Obviously there would be little point paying for a mooring if I was to continue to navigate the system, or a particular location, within the rules of my licence. A licence is required by everyone, but a mooring is required only by those who choose not to, or are unable to, navigate.

Am I missing something ?

Rog

Edited by dogless