A list of battery charging figures

swift1894

Featured Posts

Is this still likely given my constant undercharging and over discharging of them?

On another swerve, its a bright sunny day and the solar is pumping out a phenomenal 2.4 Amps. The batteries must be loving it!

The volume of Sulphuric acid in the battery remains the same even if water evaporates. Thus so long as the electrolyte is fully covering the plates the acid is in contact with the plates and reacting with them it make no difference to the charging

Not necessarily. Depending on how long the batteries have been sulphated for, it is sometimes possible to reverse it by repeated equalization charges with a rest to allow the batteries to cool down in between.

But there's no magic there, all you are doing is completing the equalization which you stopped because the battery was getting too hot. OP tells us that his battery isn't warming up, so he can watch the rise of the SG until it stops rising (or until the battery starts heating up).

Tony

Swift how is it going?

It's going like this......

Hiked all the way to the " Hydrometer Shop" but they didn't have any!

Hiked back to boat.

Start voltage this morning was 12.26v (off mains so batteries had been running fridge / freezer overnight).

Fired up the genny 13.62v 85A

3 hours later 14.66v 8A

Onto Equalisation

15.33v 25A

5 minutes later

15.25v 16A

Over next 2 hours went down to

15.25v 14.8A

So hardly any change. Batteries cool slight smell of Hydrogen gas.

Will make another attempt to get a hydrometer soon.

Hiked back to boat.

Start voltage this morning was 12.26v (off mains so batteries had been running fridge / freezer overnight).

3 hours later 14.66v 8A

Onto Equalisation

15.33v 25A

5 minutes later

15.25v 16A

15.25v 14.8A

I wonder if anyone near you who is on the forum has a hydrometer you can borrow. Where are you?

On phone will do detal reply when I get homd

Just one thing it is the voltage level in equalisation that is important, yes the more current the better, but at low current it is still doing work. The bubbling shows that

Edited by Graham.m

I switched the charger off last night to see what the readings would be in the morning

13.73v 0.5A at midnight

12.49v 0.5A at 8am

12.49v seems to imply 80% SOC.

We were on mains all night so not using batteries. Charger now back on reading 14.65v 7.4A (absorption)

Comments?

Hiked back to boat.

3 hours later 14.66v 8A

Onto Equalisation

15.33v 25A

5 minutes later

15.25v 16A

15.25v 14.8A

So yesterday morning the voltage on minimum load was 12.49V, this morning after a night running the normal load inverter, fridge, freezer etc the voltage was 12.26V, I assume on load, thus offload maybe 12.4V

I think the best that can be said is the charging regime only put into the batteries or the batteries were only capable of holding what amounts to an overnight usage of Ahs.

Sorry either need a hydrometer or give up and get new batteries.

So yesterday morning the voltage on minimum load was 12.49V, this morning after a night running the normal load inverter, fridge, freezer etc the voltage was 12.26V, I assume on load, thus offload maybe 12.4V

.[/background][/size]

No 12.26v with only a load of 1.4A!!!

Despite all of this I'm not getting dim lights or any failure of 230v appliances due to lack of battery capacity.

And yes......... I know I need to get a hydrometer!!!!!?????

Edited by swift1894

No 12.26v with only a load of 1.4A!!!

Despite all of this I'm not getting dim lights or any failure of 230v appliances due to lack of battery capacity.

And yes......... I know I need to get a hydrometer!!!!!

so 12.26V taken as OC looks like about 60%.

and I am afraid yes a hydrometer

Bur whichever way we look at it you have an improvement which is good

So, swerving off topic again, there was a long thread on here a few month ago where someone came up with the idea of using some other sort of electrolyte (involving alluminium perhaps) to revive dead batteries at a cost of just a few quid.

I rubbished the idea was twaddle saying if it worked, it would be general knowledge by now but several posters popped up claiming to have tried it with excellent results.

Can't find the thread now (search enjun has changed yet again) but if they are right and it can be demonstrated to work, it would put this whole thread in a very different light!

So, swerving off topic again, there was a long thread on here a few month ago where someone came up with the idea of using some other sort of electrolyte (involving alluminium perhaps) to revive dead batteries at a cost of just a few quid.

I rubbished the idea was twaddle saying if it worked, it would be general knowledge by now but several posters popped up claiming to have tried it with excellent results.

Can't find the thread now (search enjun has changed yet again) but if they are right and it can be demonstrated to work, it would put this whole thread in a very different light!

Peterboat I think, perhaps check in his content.

Peterboat I think, perhaps check in his content.

Hmmm I don't think so. I've just scrolled through all the topics he's started since Jan 2015 and can't see it...

He WAS one of the people claiming to have done it though with amazing results, IIRC. Jenlyn was another IIRC too.

Found a few websites about it but none had any good results

Yep that's the one!

So does the team think they are all kidding themselves in that thread?

Lets put it this way if the industry could have a battery that had the advantages of some of the suggested ones, I am sure the industry would have taken it up. If only to the stage where one could buy the electrolyte ready mixed.

Lets put it this way if the industry could have a battery that had the advantages of some of the suggested ones, I am sure the industry would have taken it up. If only to the stage where one could buy the electrolyte ready mixed.

Pretty much what I said in post 23!!