How much anti freeze to put in engine coolant system

Featured Posts

Thanks for all the hints and tips.

This is a job I've got to do when I got to the boat in two weeks time. Last time I did the lick/ smell and visual test don't look very coloured and didn't taste off much.

I've got the anti freeze ready to go for a full drain and flush through.

Mines keel cooled with a calourfier (can't spell it) beta 38hp engine, now I know all set ups are different but where is the best place to drain. I've got a few 25ltrs old drinking containers to put it in.

Havnt looked yet but can I use a sturip pump on the water keel tank bit? To drain it out.

The Boat Studio are you at Saul marina?

Hi we have winter moorings at sellars bridge so not far from Saul. Heading to the boat tomorrow with testers. Thanks for all the advice. I might well chase you up on the recommended engineer. And yes, following where to dispose of old anti freeze solution, just incase we need to drain a bit to add more anti freeze.

Mines keel cooled with a calourfier (can't spell it)

beta 38hp engine, now I know all set ups are different but where is the best place to drain.

Havnt looked yet but can I use a sturip pump on the water keel tank bit? To drain it out.

Just put Cauliflower - everyone here will know that you mean Calorifier!

My Beta 43 has a drain cock, low down on the right hand side. If you don't have a Beta 38 manual, they are available free online via their website.

Once you've drained down the engine (and thus everything higher than the drain cock), empty the skin tank using your pump via the top hose connection or drain from the bottom one. This is the cold, messy, hangy upside downy bit of an otherwise easy enough job which reminds you how nice it would be if you could remember to change your antifreeze in the summer! ;)

Just put Cauliflower - everyone here will know that you mean Calorifier!

My Beta 43 has a drain cock, low down on the right hand side. If you don't have a Beta 38 manual, they are available free online via their website.

Once you've drained down the engine (and thus everything higher than the drain cock), empty the skin tank using your pump via the top hose connection or drain from the bottom one. This is the cold, messy, hangy upside downy bit of an otherwise easy enough job which reminds you how nice it would be if you could remember to change your antifreeze in the summer! wink.png

And while its empty fit a drain valve to make it easy next time icecream.gif

Pretty sure there'll be a drain cock on the OP's Beta 38 since Beta put one on the 43 - the manual will clear that up.

Drain cock in the skin tank or bottom hose (more rubber joints to weep though perhaps) might be handy, but how will it get all the coolant out? The bottom of most skin tanks is probably the bottom plate of the boat, in which case a hose will need to come off to suck or free drain the last bit anyway, won't it? A wee bit more detail on that idea may be useful, Ditchy.

Pretty sure there'll be a drain cock on the OP's Beta 38 since Beta put one on the 43 - the manual will clear that up.

Drain cock in the skin tank or bottom hose (more rubber joints to weep though perhaps) might be handy, but how will it get all the coolant out? The bottom of most skin tanks is probably the bottom plate of the boat, in which case a hose will need to come off to suck or free drain the last bit anyway, won't it? A wee bit more detail on that idea may be useful, Ditchy.

I did say it depends on the set up, my skin tank is about 5" from the base plat from memory and I have a drain in there the same as in a central heating system so it has a nipple you can put a 1/2 hose on. I finish draining into a shallow tray on the base plate but use the hose into a container to get most of it out. Failing that it should be possible to put a solid T into a flexible pipe with a valve and drain pipe on the T.

One thing I hate is to loosen a hose to drain anything, because you have to remake the joint afterwards and then put all your new antifreeze in. If it leaks after that you have to drain and remake it, again not being sure its good until you test it under working conditions. If my joints are not weeping I would rather play safe and leave them alone. The thing is a lot depends on the original set up, which bits are high and which are low, length and diameter of pipes. But if you are loosening hoses to drai a system there must be a better way.

If my joints are not weeping I would rather play safe and leave them alone.

Amen to that!

Sounds like you hae a pretty much ideal set up. My engine has a very nicely located drain cock, so draining everything above that point is a breeze..... but the skin tank is another matter. :(

That is what my concern is is taking the bottom hose off and breaking a good seal, damaging a corroded skin tank outlet.

I was laid in bed this morning thinking duhh I didn't buy enough antifreeze, poss 35 ltrs inc skin tank, engine and cauliflower ;-).

So I need a good 3 x 5ltrs off the stuff.

Luck my mate works for eurocarparts and I'm ex motor trade. ;-))

Edited by rustydiver

I used a plastic syphon pump that cost about a fiver - but unfortunately that means the top hose had to come off. Cleaner than draining for the bottom one though.

Edited to add that I typed that at the same time as Ditchcrawler. I don't advocate taking the hose off unnecessarily, so the pump is a sub optimal solution to a proper drain point.

Edited by Sea Dog

You've just made me think in the garage I've got one off them double action pumps for pumping up inflatable boats which can be used for siphoning water with I've used it in the past for sucking up water. It's a big Un so will suck the water out quick.

I used a Pela pump with the suction tube pushed down the bottom hose after undoing the relatively high level connection where the bottom hose joins the engine block. Also first sucked out the header tank with the Pela, Found this to be a good method with only a few splashes into the bilge; 26 litres sucked out and transferred to 5 litre containers,

Mick

I drained mine using one of these from the skin tank, into old 5 litre containers

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cl-msp12-pump-kit12v/

In answer to post #40.

Seven steps,

1. Remove engine coolant filler cap.

2. Remove bleed plug from skin tank.

3. Use pump to remove as much coolant as possible

4. Place cut down 5 litre container in bilge below skin tank drain plug.

5. Remove drain plug and let contents drain into container. Use pump to empty container as it fills from skin tank. Pump old coolant into spare 5 litre containers for easy disposal.

6. Replace all plugs, and caps.

7. Fill system with news coolant and bleed.

Edited because I quoted post #39 instead of #40.

Edited by cuthound

• 2 weeks later...

Right I've had a go today, after much messing around the drain valve on the engine was blocked so I drained the engine, the skin tank had a plug at the top, which would not budge, tried the lowest pipe undid the clip the hose was on the tight so thought best not mess with it.

I managed to put some anti freeze into it, so decided to put it off till when it warms up cut the bottom hose and fit a drain valve.

What drain valve do I get. The inner circumference off the pipe is about 100mm. measured it off the outlet off the engine which goes into the tube.

Sorry - complete learner here!

You have come to the right place then. There is a huge fund of knowledge on CWDF. Even if you get 10 different bits of advice, at least you will know the issues.

Welcome and enjoy your boat.

Nick

You have come to the right place then. There is a huge fund of knowledge on CWDF. Even if you get 10 different bits of advice, at least you will know the issues.

Welcome and enjoy your boat.

Nick

That's very true, all boats are individual as are their owners and so the same job will be tackled in many different ways.