Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Holly will be quite a popular boat name, it isn't the same vessel.

Dan

There are twenty three boats named "Holly" on the system according the Jim Shead's site and that's not counting the variations such as "Holly-Anne" etc.

Sadly, it does seem that either she is breasted up, in the bushes somewhere or no longer afloat.

Tony

According to a post on UK.REC.WATERWAYS the 47ft narrowboat HOLLY has not been returned from hire. The boat was hired from the 9th March to 23rd March from Middlewich Narrowboats by a man from Hertfordshire who was intending to sail single handed.

He is now listed as a missing person and the police helicopter has been searching for the boat.

Steve

Adise We have checked Portland basin & marina also Higher Poynton Marina but regret no sighting of lost or missing Nb Holly. We will continue to check all the marinas in the cheshire area.

I'm surprised a photo pf the gentleman in question hasn't been shown yet any reason why? Have they confirmed that the guy was who he said he was?

This would be something the Police would sort as part of their missing person enquiry. I doubt that MNB would have access to a picture of the hirer.

Jon

I saw a boat called Holly today and one with its name painted out...

Excitement! Tell us more? Large square windows? 7' Cloths over bow space? Where?

Nick

The Holly was a local one, and the other boat wasnt the same as the missing one in the photo. But it did make me wonder...

LMAO.

I saw a "boat" today....AND it was on the canal

I also saw some "Holly" in a magazine

LMAO.

I saw a "boat" today....AND it was on the canal

I also saw some "Holly" in a magazine

Hm...

LMAO? Che?

Nick

Assuming this is still an unresolved issue, I passed a boat in Blisworth tunnel at midday today that through the gloom appeared to be named Holly. It was travelling north. Couldn't see clearly but there was a painted panel that could possibly have said Middlewich Narrowboats too. The look of the boat was about right.... Is there anybody north of the tunnel at the moment who could keep an eye out?

I expect it was my eyes deceiving me and it's a long way off track, but you never know....

Assuming this is still an unresolved issue, I passed a boat in Blisworth tunnel at midday today that through the gloom appeared to be named Holly. It was travelling north. Couldn't see clearly but there was a painted panel that could possibly have said Middlewich Narrowboats too. The look of the boat was about right.... Is there anybody north of the tunnel at the moment who could keep an eye out?

I expect it was my eyes deceiving me and it's a long way off track, but you never know....

We're at Whilton and will keep an eye out for it at the locks - though we pack up at 4.30 and it may be later coming past. I'm not hopeful that its the boat we are looking for though.

Denis R,

How certain are you that this boat was called Holly and about the painted out panels? This could be very significant...

Jon

I've just checked with the owners of the private NB Holly which moors at Bugbrooke Marina just north of the tunnel. They went down to Stoke Bruerne on Saturday and returned yesterday. I think we can safely assume it was them that Denis spotted.

There's a lot of Hollys about!

"Keep 'em peeled" as they used to say on Police 5!

Paul H

Hi Guys! I'm sure the boat was called Holly but didn't get a good look at the blocks of colour on the sides. There was some script that could have been long enough to say Middlewich Narrowboats but.....

I'm sure Paul H is right about this one.

Hi

I have only returned to work this morning, so catching up on info. Adam tells me that the Cheshire and Hertfordshire police have been informed about a possible sighting in Blisworth tunnel. It is worth logging every possible sighting to keep it in their minds. Thanks to everyone. Still no definate sightings in over 2 weeks.

Trish

Hi

The Managing Director of Middlewich Narrowboats, Mr Paul Foskett has asked me to pass on his thanks to everybody on the site for all of their help in locating Holly. There is still no news, but we will keep everybody informed.

Trish

I found a couple of photo's on waterscape that I hadn't seen before.

They show Holly's distinctive cratch area so I thought it worth posting them here

gallery_1791_159_28002.jpg

gallery_1791_159_16752.jpg

A very useful post, thanks.

Nick

Hi

We have had a message left on our answer machine overnight of a possible sighting on the Leicester branch of the Grand Union Canal in or around the Foxton area. We have also been told that Mr Kings mother lives in or around the Leicester area. If anybody in or around that area could keep an eye out for the boat, we would be very grateful.

p.s. There will also be an appeal on BBC 1 - North West tonight from 6.30 pm today, Thursday 12.4.07 and hopefully on BBC news 24. I will keep you informed of further sightings.

pps. whilst writing this, we have had a further sighting of Holly at Husband Bosworth Tunnel yesterday. Is anybody in this area??? Not sure which direction he is going.

Trish

Hi

We have had a message left on our answer machine overnight of a possible sighting on the Leicester branch of the Grand Union Canal in or around the Foxton area. We have also been told that Mr Kings mother lives in or around the Leicester area. If anybody in or around that area could keep an eye out for the boat, we would be very grateful.

p.s. There will also be an appeal on BBC 1 - North West tonight from 6.30 pm today, Thursday 12.4.07 and hopefully on BBC news 24. I will keep you informed of further sightings.

pps. whilst writing this, we have had a further sighting of Holly at Husband Bosworth Tunnel yesterday. Is anybody in this area??? Not sure which direction he is going.

Trish

I would inform BW immediately they have lockeepers on both Foxton and Watford locks that are locked at night so the boat would be trapped in that (admittedly long) pound making it fairly easy to find as there is no other way out and only a short offshoot to Welford.Strange how the last boat that dissapeared turned up in the same area? perhaps coincidence.

Surely two separate sightings within a few miles of each-other can't be a coincidence? This has got to be encouraging news. Then again, if the bloke's still alive and cruising, the cops know who he is and where he lives, and Middlewich have got his car, none of it makes much sense.