Slow Cooker Offer

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

If anyone is considering buying a slow cooker then Tesco have an offer on at the moment on "The Original Crock-Pot." Usually retails for between £35-£40, currently on offer for £14.50.

We have finally gotten around to buying one for the house. Not sure why we have taken so long as we love cooking with the one on the boat!

Lamb shanks in garlic and mint gravy for dinner tonight smile.png

Edited by Naughty Cal

If anyone is considering buying a slow cooker then Tesco have an offer on at the moment on "The Original Crock-Pot." Usually retails for between £35-£40, currently on offer for £14.50.

We have finally gotten around to buying one for the house. Not sure why we have taken so long as we love cooking with the one on the boat!

Lamb shanks in garlic and mint gravy for dinner tonight smile.png

Nice.

Slow cooked chicken/cider/mustard/onion/mushroom/garlic here.

We have a Tesco own brand one on the boat. Didn't see the point in getting an expensive on for the boat as it is liable to being thrown around in it's cupboard when we head to sea. It is a bit dented and carrying a few war wounds but still works a treat and is going on strong after five years of good service.

We had intended to just buy another on of those but for the extra £1 decided to by the more up market version which does look a bit nicer than the Tesco one.

The Original Crock-Pot is more powerful then the Tesco version so will consume more electric but at home that doesn't really become an issue.

It cooked the lamb shanks to perfection yesterday, the meat was dropping off the bone as I lifted them out of the pot. Slow cooked turkey chilli tonight.

I used to have a slow cooker but gave up using it years ago as I found having to brown stuff etc before hand was a hassle and increased the washing up :-) . However, I recently bought a Morphy Richards slow cooker which has a non stick metal inside which can be put on the cooker for browning etc before being put on the slow cooker and it is fantastic. I plan to take it to the boat and try it out there sometime, running off the inverter as we cruise.

haggis

I bought the small one from Argos for a tenner. It's big enough for 2 meals but perfect for the boat because of it's size and low power consumption.

I've got one of them

Ideal for the single (determinedly so) male of a certain age biggrin.png

Mind you I also have a massive Spanish pressure cooker which more than adequately deals with any (rare) need I have for bulk cooking

Can anyone recommend one for the boat, ideally low powered, but not that low powered that it affects the cooking time.

We just use a Tesco own brand one. Works great on the boat.

I used to have a slow cooker but gave up using it years ago as I found having to brown stuff etc before hand was a hassle and increased the washing up :-) . However, I recently bought a Morphy Richards slow cooker which has a non stick metal inside which can be put on the cooker for browning etc before being put on the slow cooker and it is fantastic. I plan to take it to the boat and try it out there sometime, running off the inverter as we cruise.

haggis

We rarely bother browning stuff before putting it in. Mostly we just lob it all in and let the pot do the rest.

haggis

Never browned anything in our slow cooker for years. Lob it in.

Can anyone recommend one for the boat, ideally low powered, but not that low powered that it affects the cooking time.

Our boat one is like this one has been very good. 200w max and 2.5 litre working capacity.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/12921/Lakeland-Brushed-Chrome-Family-Slow-Cooker?gclid=Cj0KEQjw75yxBRD78uqEnuG-5vcBEiQAQbaxSJFj8i-5fviWJ1nCjF1_YUtKsyI3UFW2jDYHd72R0_oaAuEm8P8HAQ&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!69394226189!!!g!42886865304!&ef_id=VfcowAAABe6u-ho3:20151021093621:s

Edited by Guest

How are your Tesco shares doing nowadays?

I think we should know...

laugh.png

Not got any.

Just happy with the cheap slow cooker that does what it should, even after five years of being thrown around at sea.

Oh and you can make slow cooked lamb casserole at 30 knots on the Trent with it also cheers.gif

Not got any.

Just happy with the cheap slow cooker that does what it should, even after five years of being thrown around at sea.

Oh and you can make slow cooked lamb casserole at 30 knots on the Trent with it also cheers.gif

At that speed I would think you would run out of river well before the lamb was done...

My slow cooker for the boat is just an enamel pot with a lid.

I pop it on the top of the multifuel stove and have a range of different height trivets to adjust the amount of heat it gets depending on how our stove is set at the time.

It draws no electricity from our batteries, can be used to brown stuff on the hob before transferring to the stove and although I have no idea how old it is (the avocado green enamel may be a clue!) I see no reason why it won't continue to work perfectly for another 10 years or more.

My slow cooker for the boat is just an enamel pot with a lid.

I pop it on the top of the multifuel stove and have a range of different height trivets to adjust the amount of heat it gets depending on how our stove is set at the time.

It draws no electricity from our batteries, can be used to brown stuff on the hob before transferring to the stove and although I have no idea how old it is (the avocado green enamel may be a clue!) I see no reason why it won't continue to work perfectly for another 10 years or more.

Excellent :)

We had a range when we were kids and cooked a lot of stuff on/in that in a similar manner. Could never understand why my dad got rid of it.

My trouble with a slow cooker is i never know what to cook in it, that I can't cook on the hob in 30 mins.

In my experience, the advantage of a slow cooker is that once you've chucked the stuff in and got it going, you can go cruising all day and whenever you feel like mooring there is a meal ready to eat straight away. Also, for me anyway, it will be using electricity created by the alternator/ inverter, rather than my woefully small gas bottles. Finally, and probably most important though is that a meal cooked in a slow cooker is totally different to one cooked on the hob, as the flavours of the ingredients seem to meld together and become more intense.