Continuous Cruising on the River Wye

Wanted

Featured Posts

Do you mean Wey?

Why?

Not a chance on the Wey.

The Wye would be subject to massive fluctuations in river levels during floods, no facilities for liveaboard,virtually no moorings, riparian river bank owners on both sides and thousands of canoes bashing past.

Why, I asked, is that the River Wye is not, I think, navigable by typical narrow or wide boats.

I agree the Wey is not for ccing (it's my local Navigation) as it's managed strictly by the NT. I see their wardens out on the banks regularly.

Edited by mark99

Moorings are very limited with no official liv-aboard.

IIRC you have to join a NT waiting list (costs £5). I did, got one alert to a mooring after about 2 years!

Also Leo 2 is an authority on the Wey.

Edited by mark99

Wanted - check this out.

http://www.farncombeboats.co.uk/mooring.htm

Note non resi.

Cheers Mark, this is the sort of info that will help form his decision I'm sure! It would mine!

He needs a moorimg that will help him to get to work in Addlestone, my thinking is he'd be better off getting a mooring in Brentford on the cut,which is one train journey and without the increasing demands of the rivers in the area.

Cheers on his behalf and I will pass on any info that comes my Wey.... ;)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/river-wey-godalming-navigations-and-dapdune-wharf/

National Trust website with information for boaters. There are no continuous cruisers on the Wey. There are some moorings close to Addlestone but I'm sure they are not residential. There seem to be a few residential moorings elsewhere. A call to the National Trust would clarify.

Pyrford Marina tolerate people spending a lot of time on their boats, so I've heard from a person who used to spend a lot of time on his boat when he was moored there.

He didn't 'live aboard' though. Oh no. Definitely not. That would not be allowed...

ninja.gif

Pyrford Marina tolerate people spending a lot of time on their boats, so I've heard from a person who used to spend a lot of time on his boat when he was moored there.

He didn't 'live aboard' though. Oh no. Definitely not. That would not be allowed...

:ninja:

Absolutely...

Addlestone being close to the Thames, especially Shepperton marina, does that or somewhere else on that stretch have residential moorings I wonder? As Mark99 says, it's Surrey and any useful mooring will cost £££

This is not what your friend's looking for, but not far from Addlestone and might appeal to someone reading this topic...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55387148.html

£185,000 for a one-bed chalet on a boat-only island in the Thames, with a mooring.

Some snags: It doesn't say how long the mooring is, or what flood risk there is, and the property is "residential holiday home status" which I think means it can't be a "primary residence" and can't be used all year, e.g. there might be a month in winter when it must be empty.

ninja.gif

I foolishly went in there and requested the mooring prices. I think I left crawling out on all fours when the legs gave way. smile.png

However this spring we shall be hopefully staying in Pyrford Marina (only for a month or so) as we are going to plod up and down the Wey.

Edited by mark99

I believe you are not allowed to leave boats unattended on the towpath overnight as well.

In most places it's quite difficult to get a boat onto the towpath. On the Wey though it may be possible when it floods!