removing old kitchen

Featured Posts

hi all,

i have over the last week been removing my old kitchen it was fitted by little brown mouse in 2008 i would have reused it if it hadnt been screwed and glued at every joint and surface it touched.

to say its been a mission is the understatement of the year i must have upwards of 300 screws from taking it to pieces they really knew how to put things together those boys did.

what surprises me is the detail in areas you cant even see if you have one of their fitouts and decide you want a change allow a couple of weeks to remove it or just dont bother like i wish i had done sick.gifhelp.gif

Edited by peterboat

I feel your pain, have just removed a bathroom and bedroom from vidar for the new kitchen to go in, like you i couldn't believe how many screws have been used!

Thought it would only take me a day, took me two weeks due to walls, ceilings, cupboards and everything else being linked to each other in some way!

All done now though.

hi all,

i have over the last week been removing my old kitchen it was fitted by little brown mouse in 2008 i would have reused it if it hadnt been screwed and glued at every joint and surface it touched.

to say its been a mission is the understatement of the year i must have upwards of 300 screws from taking it to pieces they really knew how to put things together those boys did.

what surprises me is the detail in areas you cant even see if you have one of their fitouts and decide you want a change allow a couple of weeks to remove it or just dont bother like i wish i had done sick.gifhelp.gif

2008 doesn't seem very old, why did you want to remove it? Is it a redesign for more efficient use of the space?

There are not many boat interiors that can be successfully deconstructed without destroying them in the process. Seems that the modern boater considers visible screw heads as something that should be avoided at all costs. Problem is the only way to create 'hidden' joints economically is pin and glue which are very difficult to dismantle without breaking something.

Thing there are those that will argue if the boat is constructed properly in the first place then you should never have to dismantle something to access something that is hidden behind. Wiring springs to mind, regardless of how well a boat is wired folk need to remember that most boats are subject to a certain amount of damaging vibration, expansion and contraction and the inevitable need to run another cable for that piece of electrical equipment you invariably forgot to include when the boat was built. The long and the short nothing is fit and forget, everything requires maintenance somewhere along the way.

As for your kitchen it sound like it was constructed 'in situ' rather than a free standing carcass.

2008 doesn't seem very old, why did you want to remove it? Is it a redesign for more efficient use of the space?

its not old when i bought the boat i had it stretched and at the stern was the new saloon she who must be obeyed ideasick.gif she has now gone so in has gone the rayburn, new kitchen, floating island and the bed setee. the old kitchen will now be incorporated into the bedroom and the electric 3 seater reclining sofa in there. the boat now has just 3 rooms for me the kitchen should always be at the stern the bathroom next and the bedroom at the end. boats are our home so should suit us not the general public.

i have just broken down the final part of the old kitchen it has been a labour of lovejudge.gif

There are not many boat interiors that can be successfully deconstructed without destroying them in the process. Seems that the modern boater considers visible screw heads as something that should be avoided at all costs. Problem is the only way to create 'hidden' joints economically is pin and glue which are very difficult to dismantle without breaking something.

Thing there are those that will argue if the boat is constructed properly in the first place then you should never have to dismantle something to access something that is hidden behind. Wiring springs to mind, regardless of how well a boat is wired folk need to remember that most boats are subject to a certain amount of damaging vibration, expansion and contraction and the inevitable need to run another cable for that piece of electrical equipment you invariably forgot to include when the boat was built. The long and the short nothing is fit and forget, everything requires maintenance somewhere along the way.

As for your kitchen it sound like it was constructed 'in situ' rather than a free standing carcass.

The entire fit out on our boat could be removed with just a screwdriver, including the lining. Not only would you end up with an enormous jigsaw of timber, you would also have several buckets full of brass screws.

I wanted to remove a single 500mm unit from our galley, undid the coupling screws and expected it to slide out, no chance because the unit carcases were also glued together. A lot of hard work with mallet and chisels finally got them apart.

On a similar vein when we changed our washing machine we ended up dismantling the old one as the galley had been built around the infernal machine.

I made sure the new one would fit in.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I got rid of my corridor accessed shower room and installed a bath with shower over in the new walk through bathroom on my 50ft trad.

This involved removing the cubicle, dismantling the wall. Cutting back the bulkhead wall to centre a door and then rebuilding the wall on one side that used to be the corridor. The walls were made using 2x1 inch sawn timber on edge fixed as a framing then clad in 16mm thick T&G meranti which I had reclaimed from the corridor wall. I wanted a walk through bathroom for more space and then in the kitchen I could then use both sides for units and work-surfaces and fit a washer/dryer, fridge, freezer, cooker and sink on one side then an 1800mm run of units on the other. Each side of the door to the bathroom I have 2 x 300mm wall units. The layout works for me and as a bonus the gravity radiator is now in the bathroom and not in the corridor. I estimated it would take about 10 days but it actually took 3 weeks as re-instating the original woodwork and trim, tiling over bath and worktops, adding extra power points. It all takes time as I was living on it as well!!

Before

Narrowboat1012.jpg

After:

kitchen%20001_zpsf5rlqpxi.jpg

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

like that james my internals had the screws hidden all over the place plus any that would be seen were covered over with shaped wood. luckily these were stapled and not glued they had made a great job of the kitchen but it wasnt right for me. as there was no where to eat, that is now sorted with the floating island. now its the big tidy up then the full wall built in wardrobe has to move to the old kitchen wall creating the large bedroom with lounge, i have a bubble stove in the bedroom so it should be cosy in the winter perfik