Solid oak floor - Treatment of

Liam

Featured Posts

Looking for advice on what to do with a solid oak planked floor in the lounge area on a boat.

It was carpeted over a couple of years ago, but now the carpet has been removed.

The floor looks a bit grubby so it'll be scrubbed with sugar soap and given a food clean but after that needs to protected in some way. A light sanding if the floor prior to treatment is what could happen if needed.

Varnish has been mentioned but would this end up peeling/flaking/cracking? The boat is used very often so something that can do with a lot of traffic going over it.

Any suggestions or tips on what to do with it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Liam

I use a spray-on beeswax furniture polish on the teak parquet I put down in my barge . Seems pretty good but oak may be different.

The spray I use has a yellow lid and it is silicone free. I think it came from waitrose..

Recommended for wood flooring as well as furniture. Only 4 of us so not specially heavy traffic and it does wear off and need redoing occasionally..

This

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aristowax-Original-Silicone-Spray-Polish/dp/B007MPFWR2

Not really comparable, but I've got oak worktops in kitchen at home. I use Danish oil which waterproofs and also gives a low level of shine. Needs redoing about every 6 months or whenever the water stops beading.

Plus point is any damage can be sanded off, and then re oiled which would be a lot harder with varnish...