New style of (sinking) pipe fenders-big problem in the making

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

That's answered a question I asked myself over 20 years ago.
There was one of those pole heads in my mate's workshop(actually it was from his dad's shed)

Neither of us could work out what the hell it was for coz we thought it was some sort of weird (lethal) gardening implement.

You live and learn (even at 60)

Thanks for explaining that to me, I am going on a Boat Handling Course before I get on my own, but I just wondered if it was normal to have the fenders on while moving the boat.

Thanks Sea Dog, I guess its a case of if you crash it you scratch it then. Bugger!

Our boat was blacked couple of months back. First lock, person behind would not share a lock with me as my boat was so fresh (so he said). I simply said I don't give a monkeys re the blacking I'm going in and out the lock without fenders on so just get in with me.

Rubbing strakes do the job. A hanging fender whilst underway is going to cause aggro sooner or later for either you or fellow boater - either by hanging you/wedging boat in a lock or ripping off as you enter / exit a lock.

• Greenie 1

I can also remember a couple or three years ago the mighty battle with (I think) some steel cable wrapped around an ex-working boat (Tafelberg IIRC?) at the Rickmansworth boat festival.

Didn't know Tafelberg was an ex working boat?

IIRC it was an early Colecraft. I'll ask Paul next time I see him.

Didn't know Tafelberg was an ex working boat?

IIRC it was an early Colecraft. I'll ask Paul next time I see him.

I reckon you're right (it's on the Boat List as a Goldsbrough boat) - muddled remembering on my part, sorry sad.png. Maybe Chris-B can remember which boat it was that was epically tangled up?

LCx

I can vaguely recall those cutting heads being on display outside Stockers Lock Cottage, Ricky amongst a collection of assorted Cut'an'alia.

If that was a good few years ago, all that stuff would have belonged to boatman Alf Best, who lived at Stockers for many years after coming off the boats and going " on the Company" ( Maintenance)

I reckon you're right (it's on the Boat List as a Goldsbrough boat) - muddled remembering on my part, sorry sad.png. Maybe Chris-B can remember which boat it was that was epically tangled up?

LCx

A modern one fitted with a weedhatch, possibly ?

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I've got a new one made by the blacksmith at Stoke Bruerne to that design, just need to find a decent shaft for it

Approximately 2'' diameter straight, close grained softwood about 11' long. To make the head a good secure fit it should be heated well and 'burned' on until there's full contact with the wood in the hollow shank.

For the final time of fitting it should also be hot, but not enough to burn the timber any more. Not only does this make a good tight fit, but the scorched timber is more resistant to rotting.

I fail to understand the arguments against a weed hatch. NIne times out of ten they enable you to feel or even see the obstruction. Practicing removing the debris with a traditional shaft may be instructive but, unlike feeling/seeing down the weed hatch, cannot ensure that all of the obstruction is removed. As said above, poking around with a cabin shaft may be effective on a boat with a fine swim but may be impossible on most more recent boats with a shorter swim and especially narrow boats with a square stern or wide beams.

I have a 5' shaft similar to that illustrated but the pointed spike is rectangular. Often, on rare time I am stalled by something around the prop' reverse/forward/ reverse solves the problem, otherwise I diagnose it by peering/feeling down the weed hatch. Both of my boats have the weed hatch located under a deck. On the larger boat the hatch is very heavy and hard to remove at arm's length, I cannot lift it, I just push it off to one side. The inbuilt light or a waterproof torch help me too see the problem.

Rubber tyres are difficult to cut, the steel wire reinforcement of modern radial tyres even more so.

Thank you Star' (OP) for highlighting the particular hazard of these sinking fenders with their floating ropes and/or hooks.

Alan

If that was a good few years ago, all that stuff probably belonged to boatman Alf Best, who lived at Stockers for many years after coming off the boats and going " on the Company" ( Maintenance)

Tony - the collection is still there. I'll take a snap next time I pass there.

No weedhatch or cabin shaft needed, Honda 20hp outboard with high thrust prop, lift it, simples!

The only problem I have is the low lecky output, but there's solar and a wind gennie, led lights (including a 12v led flood mounted in a lucas brass lamp shell). Manoeuvrability is great, reversing, a doddle.

No weedhatch or cabin shaft needed, Honda 20hp outboard with high thrust prop, lift it, simples!

The only problem I have is the low lecky output, but there's solar and a wind gennie, led lights (including a 12v led flood mounted in a lucas brass lamp shell). Manoeuvrability is great, reversing, a doddle.

VP sterndrive, also list it, simples. cheers.gif

Yes there is big advantage with outboards etc.

I used to like being able to lift the engine off when problems occurred, and take it to a repairer. The downside to that is that someone else once removed our nearly new Johnson some years ago.

Given the scarcity of petrol on the cut, and most outboards are now 4 stroke, I am amazed there seems to be no propane conversions available. I see outboard powered boats with a bottle of gas on the transom, yet they are burning petrol? Surely they could be dual fuel like a genny?

Edited by Guest

Yes there is big advantage with outboards etc.

I used to like being able to lift the engine off when problems occurred, and take it to a repairer. The downside to that is that someone else once removed our nearly new Johnson some years ago.

Given the scarcity of petrol on the cut, and most outboards are now 4 stroke, I am amazed there seems to be no propane conversions available.

Outboards are that economical that you really don't need to be carrying huge amounts of fuel around.

A spare jerry can is easily stored.

Outboards are that economical that you really don't need to be carrying huge amounts of fuel around.

A spare jerry can is easily stored.

True enough, and 4 strokes have improved the situation, but I have towed/helped a few over the years who couldn't get fuel. It seems to be getting worse as smaller garages have stopped selling petrol; I am finding it increasingly difficult getting petrol for the genny and considering a gas conversion kit.

Gas bottles are easily available on the cut and it seems strange to me that kits are not available for outboards.

There are alleged safety issues with petrol too, though must admit that the thought petrol doesn't keep me awake at night.

Edited by Guest

True enough, and 4 strokes have improved the situation, but I have towed/helped a few over the years who couldn't get fuel. It seems to be getting worse as smaller garages have stopped selling petrol; I am finding it increasingly difficult getting petrol for the genny and considering a gas conversion kit.

Gas bottles are easily available on the cut and it seems strange to me that kits are not available for outboards.

Really?

Can't say I have noticed that!

Really?

Depends where you live I imagine. Most petrol stations have gone around our way, leaving the likes of Asda and Tesco which are largely out of town and not necessarily near to canals. I can think of six that closed in the town where I originally came from, two in the village where I currently live, and four in the nearest town.

People I talk to on the cut during our summer trips seem to suggest it is getting more difficult overall (like pubs, most of my favourite ones have gone :( )

We have petrol places earmarked on the maps, and on board internet makes things easier, but it is sometimes a "bike ride" for me to get petrol for the gennie. Couldn't carry 5 gallons on there! A shame Asda don't deliver the stuff like they do food.

Really?

Have a look down our road. The Riverside Garage is still active, and indeed services Mrs. Athy's car, but Tony who owns it stopped selling petrol at least ten years ago. The pumps are still there, deglazed and overgrown, their forever-still dials declaring that their fuel is fifty-odd pence a litre.

Depends where you live I imagine. Most petrol stations have gone around our way, leaving the likes of Asda and Tesco which are largely out of town and not necessarily near to canals. I can think of six that closed in the town where I originally came from, two in the village where I currently live, and four in the nearest town.

People I talk to on the cut during our summer trips seem to suggest it is getting more difficult overall (like pubs, most of my favourite ones have gone sad.png )

We have petrol places earmarked on the maps, and on board internet makes things easier, but it is sometimes a "bike ride" for me to get petrol for the gennie. Couldn't carry 5 gallons on there! A shame Asda don't deliver the stuff like they do food.

Really had not noticed.

The only petrol we get when on the boat is for the dinghy though and that is still on it's first £10 worth of this year blink.png

It doesn't use a lot.

Really had not noticed.

The only petrol we get when on the boat is for the dinghy though and that is still on it's first £10 worth of this year blink.png

It doesn't use a lot.

Yes it has been going on for some years around our way. Hardly surprising given the ability for supermarkets to sell at cut throat prices.

It's a problem that affects anyone who uses outboards. (or gennys)

You can rarely get taxis to ferry more than a single can, you are prohibited from carrying it on public transport and walking/cycling with any amount is a real problem.

I've had to throw myself on the mercy of fellow boaters, harbour masters and all sorts of odd-bods when cruising with only an outboard as main power sad.png

Really?

In East Cleveland each of the main towns and villages had a petrol station. Guisborough had several.

The one in Skelton is now a small housing development as is the one in North Skelton (just behind where we live) and the one in Brotton was simply flattened. The one in Loftis occasionally opens up as a hand car wash but in the main lies empty and unused.

This all happened well before ASDA came to Skelton. A couple in Guisborough are now hand car washes. Both the ones that survive are adjacent to a Sainsburys or a co-op.

One the reasons a lot of people supported ASDA opening was their bringing a fuel forecourt back to the East Cleveland area.

One man independents selling fuel are fast becoming a thing of the past either because the low turnover in rural areas and the small profit margins (or a combination of both) make it a thankless way to earn a crust.

Edited by MJG

You can rarely get taxis to ferry more than a single can, you are prohibited from carrying it on public transport and walking/cycling with any amount is a real problem.

I've had to throw myself on the mercy of fellow boaters, harbour masters and all sorts of odd-bods when cruising with only an outboard as main power sad.png

We once went to Wells next the Sea with friends who had a twin petrol engined Sea Ray at the time. It used far more fuel than they expected to get there. Far, far more.

They don't sell petrol at Wells Harbour and there is no petrol station in Wells. They had to get a taxi driver who was willing to take them and their jerry cans to the nearest petrol station, 11 miles away. He did two trips for them as well.

Pretty much what others have told me. I wonder why no gas conversions? Perhaps they would empty a bottle too quickly?