Fuel filter for engine oil ??

wrisberg

Featured Posts

Hello mates

I have a new engine I am prepparing for installing in the boat. the old engine was worn ( Low oil pressure, worn bearings, bad marinisation ( small flywheel etc )

when I took it appart, I noticed that the filter on the engine was a WK 712/2 - When I would order a new on, I saw that it was a FUEL filter??

The previous owner tld me it was just serviced by a professional. . . Would a professional fit a filter like that???? Not imo

Is it OKAY to fit a fuel filter, on a inbord diesel, BMC engine? I would imagine the flow to be different, maybe thats why the engine died? 8-/

My other engine, the one i am prepping for installation, is mounted with a w916/1 filter. I am planning to go with one of those again. that should be right, right ?

Regards

Jonas

Silly question from me: what model of engine?

You should be able to see both an oil filter and a fuel filter. It should be easy to work out which one is the fuel filter - various pipes in and out, connecting to the injector pump etc.

The other one will be the oil filter.

I am 99% confident they are not interchangeable - indeed on my boat they are completely different shapes and sizes!

Silly question from me: what model of engine?

You should be able to see both an oil filter and a fuel filter. It should be easy to work out which one is the fuel filter - various pipes in and out, connecting to the injector pump etc.

The other one will be the oil filter.

I am 99% confident they are not interchangeable - indeed on my boat they are completely different shapes and sizes!

This is a fair point - are you sure you are replacing the oil filter? Follow the pipes

Richard

On my original MC42 engine which came new direct from Perkins and was installed by the boat-builder, when I came to the first change I discovered that the oil and fuel filters were transposed - ie the fuel was flowing through an oil filter and the oil was flowing through a fuel filter. I don't know if it was Duffields-Perkins or the boat-builder's fault, but it didn't seem to cause any problems.

I have been looking in the Mann & Hummel on-line catalogue and can confirm what you say is true.

I think we can assume this is a BMC 1.8 or a 1.5 with a spin on oil filter modification.

The W916/1 is an oil filter and Calcutt told me it fits a BMC1.8 (and my Bukh DV36).

The WK712/2 is definitely a fuel filter, it is marked on the canister as such. Fuel filters should never be used for oil because they have no bypass valve in them, let alone what is probably a much smaller pore size so they would block more easily. No pore size is given in the catalogue. The reason the bypass valve is vital is because if the filter blocks the valve will open and allow unfiltered oil to circulate. Without it the first you would know about a blocked filter would probably be the oil warning lamp coming on closely followed by big end failure or seizure.

Very probably, but where would and of the small particles of filter card end up?

In nasty places laugh.png

I don't know which would be worse, a blocked filter and dry bearings, or a collapsed filter, some dry bearings and lumps of element in the drillings

On reflection - I'd prefer the blocked filter!

Richard

thanks for your input guys.

Personal I would never fit a oil filter for fuel, or visa versa.

A have my thoughts that this is what messed up my engine . . . :-/

I hope I will have joy of me new engine longer than I had this one ( under 2 months )

Kind regards

Jonas

Why did the guy who mounted this, not notice the writing....

This should be right. What car I this from?

Where can I find a table to refer two? I have tried Google, but didn't find any usable info. Volvo is the best option?

It is for. My bmc 1.8 diesel.

Kind regards

post-24495-0-19057200-1442143321_thumb.jpg

post-24495-0-56657400-1442143545_thumb.jpg

Why did the guy who mounted this, not notice the writing....

This should be right. What car I this from?

Where can I find a table to refer two? I have tried Google, but didn't find any usable info. Volvo is the best option?

It is for. My bmc 1.8 diesel.

Kind regards

I gave you the Mann & Hummel number for the oil filter and gazza gave you another number. I think his filter is just a larger version (more capacity) of the one I gave the n umber for. As I see it manufacturer's part number trump car makes and model because any decent supplier should have equivalents lists.

It takes a bit of time finding the various filter makers' on-line but once you have done it it is easy to find equivalent filter numbers. I am sure you have the equivalent of UK Motor Factors who supply garages and they normally have software that automatically gives the equivalent numbers. When I get home I can give you a Fram number as well.

I gave you the Mann & Hummel number for the oil filter and gazza gave you another number. I think his filter is just a larger version (more capacity) of the one I gave the n umber for. As I see it manufacturer's part number trump car makes and model because any decent supplier should have equivalents lists.

It takes a bit of time finding the various filter makers' on-line but once you have done it it is easy to find equivalent filter numbers. I am sure you have the equivalent of UK Motor Factors who supply garages and they normally have software that automatically gives the equivalent numbers. When I get home I can give you a Fram number as well.

Spot on Tony, my motor factors didnt have a PH2857 in stock which I used to use, the Mann filter was slightly larger so I went for that instead of waiting for a delivery of the fram filter - a much slower selling filter than the golf gti fitment I now use.

Spot on Tony, my motor factors didnt have a PH2857 in stock which I used to use, the Mann filter was slightly larger so I went for that instead of waiting for a delivery of the fram filter - a much slower selling filter than the golf gti fitment I now use.

My local factors have now stopped stocking the Mann filter 916/1and when cross referencing the Fram filter number supplied me with a smaller one. I will in the future use the number gazza gave us. Probably more call for VAG filters than one from specific Daganham Jelly Moulds