Webasto timer operation

Top cat

Featured Posts

We've just had a Webasto Thermotop E installed and I'm unsure about the timer operation. I can see how to set the timer and how to manually turn it on and off but I'm unclear how one would switch it from timed operation to manual and vice versa.

Can anyone advise

Thanks

Top Cat ( now sat by a warm radiator)

I don't think it's a heatmiser, that word doesn't appear anywhere in the rather brief instructions. The one we have has 5 round buttons , a small one with a clock symbol, below that a row of 4 buttons reading L to R , flame symbol, < , SET, >.

The instructions say how to manually stop and start and set the timer but no mention of switching between manual and timed operation.

Top Cat

I don't think it's a heatmiser, that word doesn't appear anywhere in the rather brief instructions. The one we have has 5 round buttons , a small one with a clock symbol, below that a row of 4 buttons reading L to R , flame symbol, < , SET, >.

The instructions say how to manually stop and start and set the timer but no mention of switching between manual and timed operation.

Top Cat

Hi

There is a manual here for the thermo top T (which is different to our TTC) - but there is a section in it regarding the digital timer - which looks the same as mine...

HTH

Andy

Thanks for the link to the manual , unfortunately it doesn't tell me what I need to know.

Top Cat

If that is the same timer shown then:-

Press the SET button - Timer 1 time will be shown - then WITHIN 10 SECONDS

Press the SET button - Timer 2 time will be shown - then WITHIN 10 SECONDS

Press the SET button - Timer 3 time will be shown - then WITHIN 10 SECONDS

Press the SET button - the display and backlight will turn off - this is manual mode

From this point you can start and stop the heater manually

You need to select the relevant timer each day I think as the timer is an ON switch ONLY

When you turn the heater to OFF it remains in manual mode until you select a timer setting again

I think that is how it works - I have never used mine on timer mode but that is my understanding from the vaguely written manual !

" Press the 'SET' button within 10 sec. periods until the program number associated with the desired preset time is displayed"

Cheers

Andy

• 1 year later...

I have the same timer as the op. Is there a way to make these shut off or is it a case of get a better controller? Its dam anoying setting it all up to come on then you turn it off and then wonder why its not come on and its gone onto manual mode as you turned the heater off.

I dont mind if it only has 1 on time would be nice for it to come on in a morning and me not have to then go switch it off.

While we wait for NMEA my thoughts are that all this type of heater need a power down process to allow the burner to burn off its fuel and then the heat exchanger and any water in it to cool down a little. If they did not do this as soon as the water pump shut down the water in the heat exchanger would boil or in a hot air unit the loss of both cooling (heating) air and combustion air could trip the overheat sensor.

This means that the OFF button is more likely to send a pulse to the control unit to tell it to start the shut down procedure rather than just cutting power to the unit so it is more complicated for a fairly dumb thermostat to initiate the shut down sequence. If I am something like correct then I suspect a Pi or some such could be programmed to do it.

Where's NMEA when you need him? I believe the Heatmiser is no longer available. The timer is a simple switch, Tony, AIUI. When it goes off, it's the CPU in the boiler that manages the shut down sequence which is why you must never disconnect the supply until that's finished.

I have the more "sophisticated" multicontrol, but it's still a piece of junk mainly designed for truck cab use. You can set up to three on/offs per day for a week ahead, but there's no "all seven days at once" option and each setting has to be reactivated after each run, so no good for leaving the boat for a month.

In addition, the Quick Start button overrides any timer that's set to come on in the same period. So if you anticipate a 7-8 timer run say, cos you woke up at half six, the heater will stop at half seven rather than carry on to eight. Furthermore, once the heater is running, you can't adjust the run time, you have to wait for it to stop and then reset it.

I guess they want you to buy the remote smart phone kit, but that needs an adequate mobile signal in the boat.

If you have had it installed there should be full instructions and three year warranty paperwork left and operation explained by the Webasto Dealer. If not then I assume it's the standard small black timer and I forget how they work as I have not used them on new installs for years, the normal now is to use the Heatmiser or TC4

An earlier post gave a link to their operation though. Check that the loom to the back of the timer has a red, a brown and towels black cables, if only three (one black missing) somebody has fitted a car unit, possibly explains the lack of paperwork.