Ropes cut in Birmigham last night.

madcat

Featured Posts

We are also moored in Llangollen Basin . You would have thought it was a safe place to moor with plenty of other boats in the basin, safety in numbers .. Never heard of mooring ropes being burnt before and am slightly concerned as this could have ended up with the boat on fire. Hope this has been reported to the Police as surely it is arson.

I have heard of an instance of this to a boat moored at the top of Atherstone, last summer. They awoke to a smell of burning and found one of their lines burnt through. The lady on the boat was terrified and thinking of giving up boating.

Edited to change rope to line, to ensure correct hosting terminoligy

Edited by cuthound

I do believe that under maritime law the culprit can be done for setting a boat adrift (think I read it on here) now if we had a police force that had officers on the beat then a few convictions and the word would spread to the other numbskulls.

• Greenie 1

I'm inclined to think rather than numbskulls doing it, it is more likely to be people with a major grudge against 'rich bastards' who can afford a luxury like a boat. My boss's brother (way back in the day when I atually had a job) used to think like this. Tea break chats often morphed into an angry rant against 'people with capital' who could 'buy what they liked'. Odd because his brother i.e. my boss was just one such person, and usually sitting in on the rants!

(Spellling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I'm inclined to think rather than numbskulls doing it, it is more likely to be people with a major grudge against 'rich b'stards' who can afford a luxury like a boat.

I have never really understood that logic. I used to have some money but then I spent it on a boat. Now I don't have the money - the person I bought it off has it!

The numbskulls who would untie boats in Loughborough tended to be Uni types who where on way back to accommodation from the clubs Loadsa Money

Untying boats is one thing. Burning through the lines suggests a degree of hate or malice, to me at least.

Untying boats is one thing. Burning through the lines suggests a degree of hate or malice, to me at least.

Could be a stupid time delay tactic though - light the rope on fire then scarper before the boat drifts free - without thinking of possible consequences.

I understand what you were saying earlier about the haves versus the have nots, but I would like to think most of them wouldn't be trying to kill the people on the boat!

To me, it just seems like they didn't have a knife, but could carry a lighter to melt through synthetic ropes.

Less dangerous to carry a lighter than a knife, and no issues with police if stopped and searched...

I do believe that under maritime law the culprit can be done for setting a boat adrift (think I read it on here) now if we had a police force that had officers on the beat then a few convictions and the word would spread to the other numbskulls.

Fully agree with you there.

Bob

I do believe that under maritime law the culprit can be done for setting a boat adrift (think I read it on here)

Just when I think this place hasn't changed

A few years back that post would have started a "debate" about whether "maritime law" applied to the canals laugh.png

For my own part I'm merely adding chains and video cameras to the list of equipment I might need to purchase

I'm inclined to think rather than numbskulls doing it, it is more likely to be people with a major grudge against 'rich bastards' who can afford a luxury like a boat. My boss's brother (way back in the day when I atually had a job) used to think like this. Tea break chats often morphed into an angry rant against 'people with capital' who could 'buy what they liked'. Odd because his brother i.e. my boss was just one such person, and usually sitting in on the rants!

(Spellling edit.)

considering how many of the pontoons in the Llan basin have been damaged by eber exhaust might the ropes been burnt by these?

Burning of ropes definitely worrying and frankly fairly surprising in Llangollen basin. Guess shows no point worrying in so called bad areas.

I've mentioned in other threads that we've been aware of boats being cast off in Birmingham this year, seems things have got worse.I'm wondering what has happened to security in central Birmingham? Twenty years or so ago we were cast off in the middle of the night, wouldn't have been a major fright except security saw us adrift on cctv and chose to thump on side of boat then,after scaring us, left us to re tie. I know security can't be everywhere but assume cctv is still monitored.

Hmmmm...might be a good time to start marketing my 'anti-drift you've come away from the bank' alarm gadget thing...anyone interested?

Only really useful when aboard, but can wake you before you disappear over that weir unsure.png

Hmmmm...might be a good time to start marketing my 'anti-drift you've come away from the bank' alarm gadget thing...anyone interested?

Only really useful when aboard, but can wake you before you disappear over that weir unsure.png

Oh no, she is useful when ashore too.

Never fails to let me know if we have come adrift, especially if it is raining at the time.