12v laptop charger dell

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

I've had several attempts at buying a pattern spare for a Dell laptop charger 12v version

Ultimately

1/ the Dell mains charger run off a 75w cig lighter pluggable inverter works

2/ one Maplin adjustable voltage psu worked -seems that having three pins at the cable end of the lappy plug is a good sign (voltage regulation right at the lappy)

I have probably a dozen chargers that will NOT charge a Dell even though they say they should.

The ebay link says specifically they work with a Dell but ...

The third pin in Dell chargers is used to tell the laptop the power rating of the charger (they had 65W, 95W, 125W options IIRC). If the signal isn't present the laptop will sulk, run slowly and charge at a snails pace.

I don't think it has any role in voltage regulation.

• 2 months later...

Just bought one of these for my Acer appears to be completely unregulated and made a serious attempt to fry my battery. Sent it back for a refund. Came to the conclusion that a cheap car laptop charger is a big gamble.

May have to bite the bullet and look at the more expensive regulated version.

If any one has used the maplin regulated version successfully I would be pleased to hear about your experiences.

Trying to wean myself off from the Inverter