water on great ouse network ?

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

Next year we would like to get over to the river lark area and just found this useful GOBA LINK

http://www.goba.org.uk/main.php?section=The_Great_Ouse|Cruising_Info

It is interactive and should show amongst other things 'water points'.

However none show up, is that true or is it just a website fault ?

Next year we would like to get over to the river lark area and just found this useful GOBA LINK

Yes there are waterpoints but not as many as on the canals

If you stop at Prickwillow for water do be sure to go to the pumping museum across the road. Its ace.

http://www.prickwillow-engine-museum.co.uk/

I agree, and I'm not an engine person. The thing that stuck in my mind was the red line high up on one wall, marked MEAN SEA LEVEL........

I agree, and I'm not an engine person. The thing that stuck in my mind was the red line high up on one wall, marked MEAN SEA LEVEL........

1st para of this page :)

http://www.prickwillowenginemuseum.org.uk/education/floods.html

Most areas of the UK are comfortably higher than sea level. When heavy rain occurs, water can run downhill into streams and small rivers, leading to bigger rivers that eventually run into the sea. In a lot of the Fenland area, this is not possible because the land is lower than the sea. Here at Prickwillow for example, the fields behind the museum are between 1 metre and 3 metres below average sea level and up to 4.5 metres (14 feet) below high tide level.

Given half the chance I'd live in Fenland.

Passing boats can use our Elsan at Riverside Island Marina, be prepared to either reverse in or out as it's narrow. Turn right when you reach the lock and DON'T enter the basin but continue upstream towards the weir, moor outside the office block.

Phil

Elsan points are quite rare, though - if you need them.

Denver, Ely, Cambridge, Earith, Buckden, Bedford.

And Hartford Marina. Best to fill water there as well as the tap at Huntingdon is a percussion type with no means to attach a hose. (Though with a bit of ingenuity you can)

If you are planning on coming above Earith invest in some large fenders. With the low water levels many of the lock landings and Moorings are not narrowboat friendly.

Edited by pearley

And Hartford Marina. Best to fill water there as well as the tap at Huntingdon is a percussion type with no means to attach a hose. (Though with a bit of ingenuity you can)

If you are planning on coming above Earith invest in some large fenders. With the low water levels many of the lock landings and Moorings are not narrowboat friendly.

In addition to this, It's worth doing the Anglian locks with fenders down, because the "safety" chains can catch the baseplate. I've had it happen three times with three different boats, so now we always have a couple of moped tyres down on each side.

For all other locks though, fenders up.

In addition to this, It's worth doing the Anglian locks with fenders down, because the "safety" chains can catch the baseplate. I've had it happen three times with three different boats, so now we always have a couple of moped tyres down on each side.

Yes. Those chains are not very gelcoat friendly either.

now we are nicely off topic:

• I do recommend joining GOBA, not least for the mooring
  • You'll probably need an Ouse key, if you plan to do the section up to Bedford. It's a special sort of lock handle/windlass
  • And you'll need at least one of the EA keys (Abloy) not least to unlock the water points!

Yes, we've had our fenders down since we left Northampton. Those chains take great chunks out of the paintwork otherwise.

now we are nicely off topic:

• I do recommend joining GOBA, not least for the mooring
  • You'll probably need an Ouse key, if you plan to do the section up to Bedford. It's a special sort of lock handle/windlass
  • And you'll need at least one of the EA keys (Abloy) not least to unlock the water points!
Assuming the OP is coming down from Gayton Junction then he should buy his EA key from Gayton Marina as he won't get through Northampton Lock without it. He should also join Friends of the River Nene for a tenner.

For the Middle Levels he will need their windlass and their Yale key, available from Stanground Lock. The windlass is good for the Ouse locks too.

Assuming the OP is coming down from Gayton Junction then he should buy his EA key from Gayton Marina as he won't get through Northampton Lock without it. He should also join Friends of the River Nene for a tenner.

For the Middle Levels he will need their windlass and their Yale key, available from Stanground Lock. The windlass is good for the Ouse locks too.

Good point re FOTRN.

I am ashamed to say that I forgot to check last week if your modifcation upgrade to the Peterbrough water point was still in operation - see here. The Elsan point was operational.

Good point re FOTRN.

I am ashamed to say that I forgot to check last week if your modifcation upgrade to the Peterbrough water point was still in operation - see here. The Elsan point was operational.

I'll find out for myself in about 3 weeks as we shall be leaving Huntingdon after the bank holiday and heading back to the canals.

Oh and the guide shows a GOBA mooring at Isleham when in fact it went years ago, the only mooring after Prickwillow is at the pub at Judes Ferry, you can turn a full length boat there.

Phil

And the beer and grub was good last time I was there