Chimneys made to measure?

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I am fed up of the chimneys I buy fitting too tightly, and so being tricky to get off - the last one succumbed recently to a hacksaw on the Chesterfield.

Our collar (circumferences measured with bits of whipping twine yesterday) is 5.28" diameter at the base and 5.2" at the top. I suspect we have been using chimneys that are nominally 5 1/8" (5.125") internal diameter and they are just too tight. The next standard size is I think 6" and that is perhaps a bit too generous [though it would be easy to add a few rivets around the base to fill out the gap a bit]

Can anyone recommend someone who will make one to order, for a reasonable price?

Many thanks.

post-13477-0-08567500-1439628658_thumb.jpg

I am fed up of the chimneys I buy fitting too tightly, and so being tricky to get off - the last one succumbed recently to a hacksaw on the Chesterfield.

Our collar (circumferences measured with bits of whipping twine yesterday) is 5.28" diameter at the base and 5.2" at the top. I suspect we have been using chimneys that are nominally 5 1/8" (5.125") internal diameter and they are just too tight. The next standard size is I think 6" and that is perhaps a bit too generous [though it would be easy to add a few rivets around the base to fill out the gap a bit]

Can anyone recommend someone who will make one to order, for a reasonable price?

Many thanks.

attachicon.gifDSCF6369.JPG

Mike Pinnock does engine ones - I'm sure he could do a fire one. If interested I'll pm you his mobile.

There is a guy roaming round the midlands who makes stainless steel chimneys on his boat, I think his company is called "The small chimney company"

Last seen on the northern end of the Coventry canal a few weeks ago.

Top Cat

The Little Chimney Company:

http://www.littlechimneycompany.co.uk/

As you say, he's usually somewhere along the Coventry canal, we bought one from him when passing last year, stainless steel, very good quality.

Bear in mind though, if it's a loose fit, it'll be easy to nick.

Chris Smith did one for us in Stainless. Highly recommended: good price and assembled at the boat to fit perfectly. You need to be somewhere with road access a reasonable drive from Crick for him to meet you.

MP.

££ please give a guide price & size

Many thanks.

attachicon.gifDSCF6369.JPG

Your chimney collar from your measurements & the photo appear not to have the taper of the "old " ones were you could push the chimney don just enough to be a snug fit & with a bigger taper only required a bit of a wiggle to loosen it off, maybe a standard chimney & an angle grinder to make more of a taper on the collar