Manchester Area Closure

Cruising Mike

Featured Posts

As some of you may have gathered already, we are doing the Cheshire Ring from 4th September till 11th. We have been informed by the Hire Firm of the emergency closure in the Manchester area for emergency demolition. Furthermore, we have been advised to look at alternative routes instead.

So i'm asking you guys what do you think? Will it be ready in 3 weeks time or is this predicted as a long term thing?

As some of you may have gathered already, we are doing the Cheshire Ring from 4th September till 11th. We have been informed by the Hire Firm of the emergency closure in the Manchester area for emergency demolition. Furthermore, we have been advised to look at alternative routes instead.

So i'm asking you guys what do you think? Will it be ready in 3 weeks time or is this predicted as a long term thing?

Previous thread here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78072

You might be lucky. Try ringing Peel Ports for a progress report.

Could the update go in stoppages please as a search to find news on it is only to be found by putting Demolition in. Bridgewater fetches up the stoppages post with no news. Thanks in anticipation.

Morning people,

After a few days getting over the disappointment hearing about this closure, we have finally tried to look at alternative options.

We have vetoed every option but two:-

Preston Brook (Claymoore) to Bugsworth Basin and back via Middlewich. Still the ring in a sense without going all the way round. 69hrs, 98 Locks and 127 Miles according to CanalplanAC.

Preston Brook to Froghall and Back. 63hrs, 103 locks and 105 miles according to CanalPlanAC.

Do these look good and is there anything to look out for? I understand that the 2nd route includes a large number of locks as well as a fair number of tunnels including ding Harecastle twice.

Morning people,

After a few days getting over the disappointment hearing about this closure, we have finally tried to look at alternative options.

We have vetoed every option but two:-

Preston Brook (Claymoore) to Bugsworth Basin and back via Middlewich. Still the ring in a sense without going all the way round. 69hrs, 98 Locks and 127 Miles according to CanalplanAC.

This one.

It encompasses all the nicest bits of the cheshire ring twice!

I passed on tram today and demolition is certainly taking place

I went past on the train this morning. The building is about half-way demolished. There appeared to be rubble on the towpath and the water down to Pomona was a grey colour, suggesting that masonry/cement/mortar has gone into the water too. I hope they dredge the stretch past the demolition once the work is finished.

A further update...

Heard from the engineer today that it will be hopeful if the canal us open on Friday but worse case scenario is that it will be open by Sunday.

For those of you who either are a resident of the Bridgewater or visit it often then if you use Facebook I'd recommend you joining the 'Bridgewater Canal' group where all information on stoppages and other news can be found.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/403173586486795?ref=bookmarks

Liam

Oh good. I can start moving down to Manchester and access to water and sanitary stations.

As far as I'm aware the sani station at Castlefield isn't working you'll have to use the one at Stretford.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=a19a8d66ef15ebda50b0a03b7f11f929&showtopic=76815&hl=castlefield

K