Ah/day for a freezer

Theo

Featured Posts

My 230V "table top" freezer is about 8 years old. I am wondering if I need to replace it. During the recent warm spell it has been using an average of 0.61kW-h/day which is about 51Ah/day. I am wondering if this is reasonable or if I could do significantly better with a new one.

Has anyone any data for their freezer? I measured the consumption using a plug in energy meter.

N

Technology and insulation has moved on.

Yup. That's what I would have thought but it would be nice to have some data so that I can decide whether or no to replace it.

N

Well Theo's unit calculates out at 222Kw per annum - so 1/3 more than a randomly chosen 'equivalent'.

I just looked at a unit from Tesco direct (TT freezers are not hugely popular at the mo - so not many to choose from) and it uses 'a whopping 193 Kw/ yr:-

http://www.tesco.com/direct/fridgemaster-mttz4430-freezer-440mm-white/723-2025.prd?pageLevel=

so perhaps your existing isn't all that bad anyway. IM(not very H) O, I reckon it's the larger units where there have been major changes in efficiency.

Theo, please - it I might ask what size (power output rating) is your inverter and pure sine or quasi sine? (Still trying to get my options to change my F/F.

thanks.

From the specification :

• Ambient temperature 16 to 32°C and therefore .
  • EAN: 4810430.
  • Noise level 41dB.
  • Energy consumption: 153kWh per year based on standard test results for 24 hours.
I have taken 153,000 over 365 to get an approximate 400w per day

My post in reply to yours was in the nature of a mild correction to your use of units. You stated the units as 400 watts (rate of conversion of energy) per day. You meant 400 watt-hours(energy) per day. I am sure that the numbers are useful. Thanks.

Well Theo's unit calculates out at 222Kw per annum - so 1/3 more than a randomly chosen 'equivalent'.

I just looked at a unit from Tesco direct (TT freezers are not hugely popular at the mo - so not many to choose from) and it uses 'a whopping 193 Kw/ yr:-

http://www.tesco.com/direct/fridgemaster-mttz4430-freezer-440mm-white/723-2025.prd?pageLevel=

so perhaps your existing isn't all that bad anyway. IM(not very H) O, I reckon it's the larger units where there have been major changes in efficiency.

Theo, please - it I might ask what size (power output rating) is your inverter and pure sine or quasi sine? (Still trying to get my options to change my F/F.

thanks.

My inverter is a 3kW pure sine wave model. I bought it about 18months ago and it cost about £600. Unfortunately my emails about this have disappeared into the ether so I con't find out where I got it from ATM. I did post a link a year ago so I might bre able to track it down on the forum.

Edited by Theo
To add "pure sine wave"

My inverter is a 3kW pure sine wave model. I bought it about 18months ago and it cost about £600. Unfortunately my emails about this have disappeared into the ether so I con't find out where I got it from ATM. I did post a link a year ago so I might bre able to track it down on the forum.

Aha - many thanks!

(FWIW - I'm trying to find the smallest /most efficient unit to run only the FF to compare the cost of either running a mains unit or getting 12Volt-fridges.com to do a Danfoss conversion. The stumbling block is he will only convert units which are smaller that SWMBO 'demands' )

3KW is great but £600 is much more than a FF converted to 12/24V complete.

Here is the link again. It has been working faultlessly (in terms of it's output), running aour Zanussi washer and everything else. The only fault is that the fancy cooling fan circuitry is slightly faulty. From time to time, when the air around the inverter is warm, it switches the fan on and off repeatedly at a frequency of about 0.35Hz.

Here is the link again. It has been working faultlessly (in terms of it's output), running aour Zanussi washer and everything else. The only fault is that the fancy cooling fan circuitry is slightly faulty. From time to time, when the air around the inverter is warm, it switches the fan on and off repeatedly at a frequency of about 0.35Hz.

PS I see that it is now for sale at £429

My post in reply to yours was in the nature of a mild correction to your use of units. You stated the units as 400 watts (rate of conversion of energy) per day. You meant 400 watt-hours(energy) per day. I am sure that the numbers are useful. Thanks.

33Ah per day ??