tow

plumby

Featured Posts

From the licence terms and conditions:

1.7 Portable means that the Boats normal crew can, without mechanical help, launch the Boat and take it out of the water. Examples of Portable Boats include rowing boats, dinghies, canoes and light inflatable boats.

1.8 Powered means that the Boat has some form of mechanical propulsion. Unpowered Boats are boats that are propelled by human, wind or animal force. A boat that is normally towed by a powered vessel is defined as Powered.

1.9 Tender means one small boat (not more than 3 metres long) and which is carried on or towed by the Boat and used only for going to and from the Boat whilst in sight of the Boat.

Looking at that if a butty was 9ft 6 ins long max and towed, it could be classed as a tender? Interesting :)

Looking at that if a butty was 9ft 6 ins long max and towed, it could be classed as a tender? Interesting :)

Precisely that. And the new T&Cs make explicitly clear that a tender is now allowed on a standard canal & river licence, not just a river only licence.

It needs to be registered with CRT and must be labeled tender to boat name, boat index number.

Are you sure about the £45?

There is a difference between an "unpowered craft" and a "portable unpowered craft", specifically that you have to be able to pick a portable out of the water with no mechanical assistance.

That garage looks heavier than I'd want to pick up!

I am only sure what he told me, and (now that he is selling it) what details have been placed in the advert.

It is a 'cheap' way of getting extra storage.

I am only sure what he told me, and (now that he is selling it) what details have been placed in the advert.

It is a 'cheap' way of getting extra storage.

Apologies Alan, I hadn't followed the link.

I am however sure that that should be licenced as a 13 foot unpowered boat at a current licence fee of £510 pa, unless the chap in question can pick it up!

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks.

If i had a nb of say near to 60ft or over and a butty / workshop being towed with no engine that made it over 70ft,

How much of a ball ache would this be to pull it through the locks by rope after i had passed with the nb, or would you need be a set of 10 experts in tug of war.

I will be travelling alone

Or would a cheeky removeable fitment of an outboard motor be needed.

Hope that makes sence.

thank you for kind advice,

Andy

Are you sure about the £45?

There is a difference between an "unpowered craft" and a "portable unpowered craft", specifically that you have to be able to pick a portable out of the water with no mechanical assistance.

That garage looks heavier than I'd want to pick up!

I know of one pays £50 so it must be the increased 2016 rate. Licensing will try and fob you off but you need to insist and write to the top guy.

Relatively easy, but rather annoying having to lock twice. Are you on a broad or narrow canal? If you have 2 boats of narrow beam, they'll fit breasted up in a wide lock.

nothing yet but wont be long now, time wont be of the essence but yes butty and nb would be an option for me then if butty is nb width

The old working boats and their butties were both around 70-72 foot long, so that is the longest either boat or butty can be for most of the canal system. If you want to cruise pretty much everywhere, the 57 foot is the length limit.

Did I once see a boat made out of a skip?

Quite a few look as if they were, but yes, I am sure I've seen a photo of a skip being propelled along a waterway by an outboard engine.

Last month I did my first trip on a pair with the Narrow Boat Trust, including both narrow and double locks, and based upon that limited experience I think if plumby were to go for having a butty making a total length of over 70' I'd give this advice:

(1) Join the NBT and volunteer as crew; a good way to learn from experts what's involved in getting a pair through locks

(2) Maybe it could be done single handed but it would definitely be much easier with crew.

Pushing a steel extension, rigidly attached, would be a much nicer solution and likely give a better space inside.

It would however likely cost more, unless you could find a used one (above?) or make it yourself, than a old grp hull which can be had for very little.

If you have say a 58ft boat, and a tender/barge/tub to take it to 70-72ft then they would be a very neat solution, and something I would serious consider if I lived on emilyanne. You could just about get small car on it, would be my thought. It would pass through all locks either on the front or breasted (7ft*72 ft or 14ftx58), so issue to steer, and without the inherent issues with placing steel and fibreglass in close proximity. Happy days.

Daniel