Buying boats

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, I am retiring soon and will be looking to buy a NB I have been hiring the last few yrs and have had my own 27ft GRP for three yrs now, which I will be trying to sell to save on the ongoing costs .

Anyway I have been looking on the usual well known sites on line, looking at styles and prices etc, but as I am now getting about three months away from getting retirement dosh to actually go and buy one, which I want to do, as soon as really. I want to buy higher spec boat to spend most of my time on , if not all my time, to make it as comfortable as possible,im not looking at an investment really.

I have my idea of what I want, but am prepared to compromise.But its not all about money to buy the best out there.. my point being and to my question, I see on respected website abnb they have a few'' Liverpool boats'' going on mid range price.

One catches the eye as its been all redone out, painted etc with low engine hours. So to quote a respected on here if he doesn't mind-

The less universally highly regarded are:

Liverpool boats

Springer

Collingwood

So what does this mean, are the shells badly made, low grade steel, bad swim etc, what dictates they are not highly regarded, is it just numbers or what, sorry for my ignorance.

I have a liverpool boat which is excellent, "swims" well, steel of a very good quality, etc.

A man moored near me has a springer which he has owned for over 25 years and has actually extended by 10 feet. He is happy as Larry with the boat.

I think if you get a badly built boat it doesn't matter who built it - it's still badly built! Equally, if it's good then again it doesn't matter who built it.

As said already there is nothing inherently wrong with Liverpool or Springer boats. Not going to comment on Collingwood as I do not have any experience of them. I believe that it is the high number of boats built by these companies that is held against them by some on here. Also the fact that they were cheaper when new than so called quality boats is equated by some to mean they are of poor quality. I do not believe this to be true. I would judge each boat on its overall condition rather than its builders name.

Ian.

I don't know if brokers devalue boats based on who welded it up but if that is the case it's a good argument for buying a Liverpool boat.

The reputation for shoddy work comes from a combination of high volume production and boats being sold half finished, many of these craft will have been bought as sailaways by over optimistic DIYers.

I've spoken to several surveyors who actually rate them very highly.

The problem with Springers is that most of them are very old now.

Well since there are more Liverpool boats on the system than any other they can't be that bad.

I know many many people who have them and with no more problems than other makes.

Obviously you will hear of more problems with them and this is simply because there are more of them.

Edited by Glynn

Love our Liverpool boat,had her 11 years from new & she's been an excellent buy.Liverpool boats are (usually) a lot of boat for the money.Just like everything else in life,there's bound to be exceptions -so some people may have had a bad experience with the brand.We haven't !

Trina

Edited by The Bearwood Boster

Sometimes some of these oft deride boats had features that are now deemed poor practice. For example a wet bilge -from well draining directly into the main hull, rather than overboard. That can and does make the boat rust from the INSIDE....

Other matters could be -

badly designed gas lockers

bad engine mounts / drive shaft couplings

Poor welding

Insufficient hull and cabin strengthening

and so on.

Many of these defects and further perceived design defects, may put some folks off, but not others.

Using a car as an analogy - would you be happy with a Trabant or would you prefer a Volvo??

A Land Rover or a Range Rover

Edited by OldGoat

Would the survey pick up-

OldGoat, on 04 Aug 2015 - 7:54 PM, said:snapback.png

-

badly designed gas lockers

bad engine mounts / drive shaft couplings

Poor welding

Insufficient hull and cabin strengthening

NO, to my mind it's not a lot more than a detailed sampling of hull thickness and obvious safety shortcomings. A bit like an MOT.

UNLESS you find a good surveyor and go round with him when he does the survey he MIGHT say 'oo - that's not quite right or, Oh dear... but he Won't put that in writing. That's why it's best to stick to the quality builders and fitters-out, because there's more chance of them getting things right in the fist place.

Anyway a surveryor can't and won't comment on anything he can't see without moving anything (raising floorboards etc)

I bought a Liverpool built 50ft trad boat of 1998 vintage 3 years ago and have had no problems and positive comments. My boat was fitted out by the owner and then the RCD was sorted out by Euro Marine Consultants.

I have lived aboard in all the time and find it great. I paid 25k and am still very happy with my purchase. Just redone the kitchen to a better layout and a walk through bathroom, so nearly finished putting my taste into it. Stove, floor, stained glass, step, kitchen & bathroom.

I say any boat can be badly built etc so always have a survey if no boat experience.

Boat006_zpsf770dc32.jpg

Old kitchen.

Narrowboat1012.jpg

Narrowboat1002.jpg

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?