Working boat Darley

the barnacle

Featured Posts

Just wanted to say i saw Darley this morning moored up so took the kids to see it - what a lovely boat, i was suprised how high the bow was out of the water there again it was unladen - i was also wondering where the next working boat meet up is as i would love to go along,

Ray, could you expand on the "possibly"? As we are hoping to attend and it's a good four days' trip for us, it would be good to know that the dates are correct.

From the HNBC site:

"Alvecote gathering?

If you want to see lots of historic boats, this is the place to be over the Bank Holiday weekend in August - see the Samuel Barlow website for confirmation of dates nearer the time http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/pub/

29/08/2015 to 30/08/2015."
I said "possibly" because of the ? mark. I have had a look round t' web and cannot find any further reference. Also the web site referred to is no longer a valid link.
This link http://samuelbarlowfreehouse.com/works but makes no reference to the gathering.
Edited by Ray T

See you there. Make yourself known if you want a natter about old boats. smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

Ditto what George says. I'll be at Audlem with Halsall (same type of boat as Darley). If the children are genuinely interested they are welcome to have a look aboard (at their own risk!), although there isn't much to look at.

There are usually a few boats at these gatherings that are manned by volunteers who welcome aboard visitors and are much better equipped for it. I think Saturn will be there and also Lindsay, both usually welcome visitors into the hold and the cabin.

It's my first time at Audlem, but I think there is other stuff going on as well which makes it a bit more intesting than just looking at boats.

I'll be at Audlem with Halsall (same type of boat as Darley).

You can't say a Northwich uilt town is the same type of boat as a Woolwich built one!

It's just not done!

From the HNBC site:

"Alvecote gathering?

If you want to see lots of historic boats, this is the place to be over the Bank Holiday weekend in August - see the Samuel Barlow website for confirmation of dates nearer the time http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/pub/

29/08/2015 to 30/08/2015."
I said "possibly" because of the ? mark. I have had a look round t' web and cannot find any further reference. Also the web site referred to is no longer a valid link.
This link http://samuelbarlowfreehouse.com/works but makes no reference to the gathering.

Is Alvecote a "goer" this year?

Alvecote is always the Bank Holiday weekend, because it is a three day, rather than a two day event.

We hope to have at least one of our boats there.

From the above, I infer that Alvecote Marina may not be officially organising the event this year but that boaters have decided to go there anyway. Would that be correct?

No, why does my post suggest that?

See you there. Make yourself known if you want a natter about old boats. smile.png

Much appreciated, thank you.

Ditto what George says. I'll be at Audlem with Halsall (same type of boat as Darley). If the children are genuinely interested they are welcome to have a look aboard (at their own risk!), although there isn't much to look at.

There are usually a few boats at these gatherings that are manned by volunteers who welcome aboard visitors and are much better equipped for it. I think Saturn will be there and also Lindsay, both usually welcome visitors into the hold and the cabin.

It's my first time at Audlem, but I think there is other stuff going on as well which makes it a bit more intesting than just looking at boats.

Thank you, i am going to try my best to pop along - i guess i just get to Audlem on the weekend and look for the canal? or is there a particular area / marina? Steve

Much appreciated, thank you.

Thank you, i am going to try my best to pop along - i guess i just get to Audlem on the weekend and look for the canal? or is there a particular area / marina? Steve

You can't miss it. Just look over the main road canal bridge and you will see 40+ (ex) working boats.

Allow plenty of time. The adjacent field will also be full of old cars, lorries, buses, traction engines etc.

just been looking online and it says its the Sunday for the car show - do you know if anything is on the Saturday as this is when i hoped to pop along? thanks.

I would take the word online before mine.

In the past, I have tended to spend most time at the boats and gone for a walk round the field on the Sunday. It seems obvious really, most people on the field do not have overnight accommodation, unlike boaters, so a one day show is probably correct.

No, why does my post suggest that?

Not just yours, Alan, "the above" refers to at least three previous posts - one of which asks whether Alvecote is "a goer", another of which states that there is no mention of any such event on the Alvecote Marina web site, and then yours in which you say that you hope to attend.

The Alvecote Historic Gathering is happening. I know this because I have just spoken to Lawrence at Alvecote and he has very generously said that Chesterfield Canal Trust can once again have their gazebo there.

Every year there is always a bit of a question mark over whether the event will happen or not but it always does, always on the bank holiday weekend. I think this is one reason why the event works so well. It is all very fluid. I am certain all the staff put a massive amount of organisation into it but it is all behind the scenes, making sure there is plenty of good beer and some great live music for example. The atmosphere is not in any way regimented and it is all the better for that in my view. Nobody fills in forms to enter, pays money for the privelidge of attending or gets a marked out mooring space, the boaters just turn up, tie up and enjoy. The guys at Alvecote do a great job of ensuring everyone is fed, watered and entertained and they really don't need to spend any time or money publicising the event as I think there would need to be a 12' security fence around the place to stop the boaters turning up. Their publicity machine is the old fashioned one, word of mouth along the cut!

All Jan says above is of course true.

However, my understanding is that they do like to have an idea of what historic boats are attending, even if there is no formal form filling, payment, providing insurance details, and all the "noise" that tends to go with other historic boat events.

They normally fill just about every inch of available space effectively, whilst still making it possible to let boats move. In my experience Lawrence usually has a plan of what boats he is berthing where, so that he can put shorter ones in appropriate locations, to give maximum space for full length ones. - although they clearly have a flexibility that if some turn up regardless, a spot will be found for them.

So, anybody visiting with an "historic" should, I would say, at least give Lawrence a call with some idea a of their intentions.

(Which, being my usual organised self, I have yet to do, of course!........)

All Jan says above is of course true.

However, my understanding is that they do like to have an idea of what historic boats are attending, even if there is no formal form filling, payment, providing insurance details, and all the "noise" that tends to go with other historic boat events.

They normally fill just about every inch of available space effectively, whilst still making it possible to let boats move. In my experience Lawrence usually has a plan of what boats he is berthing where, so that he can put shorter ones in appropriate locations, to give maximum space for full length ones. - although they clearly have a flexibility that if some turn up regardless, a spot will be found for them.

So, anybody visiting with an "historic" should, I would say, at least give Lawrence a call with some idea a of their intentions.

(Which, being my usual organised self, I have yet to do, of course!........)

Yes Alan, I agree, I was trying very hard (and clearly failing) to say that I am certain there is an enormous amount of organisation goes on but it all seems to happen behind the scenes and that seems to be why it all works! Somehow when you have a harbour master wandering around with a clipboard there is always the inevitable person you speak to who is quietly disgruntled that their spot does not have the footfall that so-and-so has and so why are they bothering to polish their brass etc. I never hear that at Alvecote. Maybe it is because nobody talks to me ;)

I think it is more likely because everyone is enjoying themselves so much they don;t have time to worry about how many people are looking at the boat. It is about the boaters not the visitors, that means everyone wins