Limehouse Lock. low water

magnetman

Featured Posts

The level in the Limehouse Cut pound is down about a foot so the Marina are not allowing boats out between Low water-3hrs And Low water +3hrs.

Still OK to go to Teddington but there is a serious low water problem compounded by boats locking onto the River Thames hence the restriction.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know when they are opening the lock currently, when we went out in July they were opening 3 hours before high water which allowed ample time to get to Teddington but what are the current opening hours and is transit Teddington to Limehouse possible. There is no information on crt website!

I haven't seen any statistics, but I think it's generally been a dry year so far, at least in the south, I wouldn't know about the north. I've had to water my vegetable patch more than usual, and this is not the first report of a waterway with problems; the Thames above Abingdon has been said to be low.

Having said that, it's raining here today; my veg will be loving it and I'm sure the fruit trees will do well with a good drink.

I found that when asked, the lockie of the moment, will give you a load of gobbledygook just to fob you off!

I don't know if that is down to the lockies not being paid staff. or just down to not knowing what's going on!

Surely those seals have been done by now? and why cannot they top up the basin when it's high tide?

I now I have made up my mind not to contact them the next time I want to use the locks and arrive without booking and take a chance!

Which, to be honest, is a very sad state of affairs!

Nipper

I found that when asked, the lockie of the moment, will give you a load of gobbledygook just to fob you off!

I don't know if that is down to the lockies not being paid staff. or just down to not knowing what's going on!

Surely those seals have been done by now? and why cannot they top up the basin when it's high tide?

I now I have made up my mind not to contact them the next time I want to use the locks and arrive without booking and take a chance!

Which, to be honest, is a very sad state of affairs!

Nipper

exactly, deliberate ofuscation, surely someone has tried to go downstream

Although I have been through that lock, I don't have any particular knowledge about it's workings but might it also be due to the high tides over the last couple of weeks being very low? I know on my mooring on the estuary the high tide today didn't even wet the keel of Sabina (There are some big tides due in the next few days)

Surely your recent tides are just normal neap tides effected by the high atmospheric pressure we have had of late? ie making them lower than they would be normally. Next week they will be normal Spring tides, but maybe a little higher because of a lower atmospheric pressure we are now experiencing and due to continue, apparently.

The really big and low tides come around September and again in the spring, time due to the equinox!

ie the crossing of the equator by the sun!

Nipper

• 1 month later...

Sorry for reviving a slightly old thread, but can anyone advise whether Limehouse Lock is now operating normally? I plan to lock out in about 10 days' time and don't want to go the long way to Limehouse only to find myself at an effective dead end. I cannot find anything on t'internet, but I hope that recent rainfall has helped.

Mike

Phone the marina office :)

020 7308 9930

Its not such a big deal inward bound for Brentford or teddington as you have time on a rising tide but it can be awkward coming outward bound from teddington in a slow boat when they are only locking 2 hours each side of high water because you have to punch the tide quite a long way to get to Limehouse in time for the lock, or come down on an emptying river and wait on the pontoon which was the case when I came through on the 19th August. That pontoon gets rough :huh: very

it can be awkward coming outward bound from teddington in a slow boat when they are only locking 2 hours each side of high water because you have to punch the tide quite a long way to get to Limehouse in time for the lock, or come down on an emptying river and wait on the pontoon which was the case when I came through on the 19th August. That pontoon gets rough :huh: very

Its even rougher when you have to wait outside the entrance, with several boats rafted up as the pontoon is already full, because you were part of a large organised convoy all arriving at Limehouse at once!