Weaver Navigation

nebulae

Featured Posts

Talking to a CaRT man the other day. He told me that there are no permanent lock keepers on the Weaver now,but seasonal staff in summer months. If you request a lock passage in the winter,a member of the bankside maintenance staff(or two members of staff for the two upper locks) has to be taken of their regular work to opperate the locks.As I understand it,if you wish to pass through more than one lock,the same team will travel in a van to meet you.at the next lock. Although channel 74 is the commercial VHF channel,in practice,keepers do not respond,so a mobile phone is usefull.

• Greenie 1

Interesting that you had a reply on channel 74. I tried to contact at each lock,but did not get a response.Did not get a chance to speak to a lockie at the time .I think they use handheld units.Maybe they dont always carry them?

The Weaver booklet, I think, gave mobile numbers for the lockies and presumably the same applies to the volunteers manning them. Asking for trouble, I reckon, using voluntary workers for essential tasks.

Who mentioned volunteers (except you)?

This week now I've had an instant response from every lock on the river except Dutton where he'd been busy penning two boats up when I called.

That's good....wonder if they have done a VHF course then cos last year I was told that none of them had operators licences which did seem a bit short sighted. If we venture on it on the way home I will see who I can raise!

Cheers

Gareth

I suspect they're full time permanent, but their roles may be seasonal ie in the summer they do lockkeeping, in the winter another task. Don't know though, just guessing?

No. They're seasonal. Come the autumn they get a P45 and in the spring they're re-hired.

MP.

This week now I've had an instant response from every lock on the river except Dutton where he'd been busy penning two boats up when I called.

That was our experience on the Severn too, unlike three or four years ago when there was no answer at all.

MP.