ticks the boxes

paulmeds

Featured Posts

Looks like a nice boat. Last out of the water 2 years ago so really it's time for it again, for a blacking, but of course it depends on how the current blacking is holding out, and remaining anode material.

Personally I would cut off the horrible Taff rails at the back, you should not sit on them when under way as if the front of the rudder hits something it can sweep you into the canal, or worse, so they are just an obstacle to impede getting on and off the back. I notice there is a major mark down the cabin side in the photo, presumably a scrape, which is a shame. I would also remove the silly tube fenders that just get caught in locks and fall of, or jam and sink the boat at Hurleston!

Good builder, good fitter-outer, good broker. Could be a winner. The price at first looks high for a boat over 10 years old but it would probably have cost a premium price when new.

Yes, I hope those steps have some kind of heatproofing on the side nearer to the stove.

Yes, I hope those steps have some kind of heatproofing on the side nearer to the stove.

If there is no heat-proofing, check for any signs of scorching, or any signs of scorching having been sanded away. If there are scorch marks its a BSS fail as well as a sign of a definite hazard. Our steps are rather close to the fire and, whilst I have been meaning to install a heat shield for the past 4 years (!) I just wrap some kitchen foil around the step side in winter, which keeps it cool.

From my limited experience (they sold our last boat), when ABNB set a price, they mean it. They don't think of some inflated number and wait for a mug to come along, but the other side of the coin is that they are not keen on giving anything more than a courtesy reduction. They will probably have taken this damage into consideration when pricing the craft.

Thanks Nick, do you think the scrape would cost much to rectify and maybe be a bit of a bargaining tool?

I think it's too difficult to say by looking at the photo. Maybe it would polish out but if not, and if it offended you, you would probably need to repaint the whole panel which is quite a big area. On the other hand, if it's your first boat there is some benefit to not having it too immaculate, that way you won't get too tearful if you end up in the bushes!

Now that our boat is 4 years old and has a few marks, cruising is less stressful! Good bargaining point as you say.

Are we talking what ,to me, looks like a shadow on the starboard side?

Aye, and if you look down to the photo of the starboard pointy end, you'll see similar "scratches" - but in a different place on the paintwork. So shadows or rather reflections, I think.

From my limited experience (they sold our last boat), when ABNB set a price, they mean it. They don't think of some inflated number and wait for a mug to come along, but the other side of the coin is that they are not keen on giving anything more than a courtesy reduction. They will probably have taken this damage into consideration when pricing the craft.

Don't be too sure, we made an offer on the boat we bought that was well below the marked price (almost 30% below) abnb called the owner and the price was accepted on the agreement that full payment would be made within 3 working days

That's good news for the OP! From memory, they put ours on sale at £31,000 and got £29,500, but that was nine years ago so perhaps their policy has changed since then. Perhaps you were just being sarky?

Edited by Athy

Aye, and if you look down to the photo of the starboard pointy end, you'll see similar "scratches" - but in a different place on the paintwork. So shadows or rather reflections, I think.

Could be, not sure, but it will be obvious when the OP goes to visit.

Edit: yes you're right, must be reflections since the "marks" at the front are not visible in the main shot.

Edited by nicknorman

Going up to Crick on Tuesday, if I like her I will put a deposit down, after months of looking and the awful stress of selling my house lets hope this will be the start of a new life.

I will keep you informed. I will looking for a marina down south, Reading, Aldermaston etc. maybe get a skipper to bring her down, getting ahead of myself here I know, but one has to have a plan.

As you yourself suggested, slow down a little. Look at any other boats ABNB have available to view for comparison. There's a couple of engine room equipped boats for sale through the them that have been around for a while. If you are cash purchasing, remember cash speaks/talks.

Any doubts,walk away and have a think.

Exciting times you have ahead.

Martyn

May I add, think about the K&A. We were on this canal at the beginning of our boating life. And this was when relatively recent after the restoration. It has gone a little downhill since and is hard work. (Before anyone jumps in, I know that canals can go up as well as down)

We got a little fed up of going up and down.,to and fro.Didn't want to go onto the Thames or the Bristol Channel. We moved to the south Oxford.

That's good news for the OP! From memory, they put ours on sale at £31,000 and got £29,500, but that was nine years ago so perhaps their policy has changed since then. Perhaps you were just being sarky?

ABNB has changed an awful lot in the last 9 years.

However, this boat,from the spec and pictures is priced to sell.

As you yourself suggested, slow down a little. Look at any other boats ABNB have available to view for comparison. There's a couple of engine room equipped boats for sale through the them that have been around for a while. If you are cash purchasing, remember cash speaks/talks.

Any doubts,walk away and have a think.

Exciting times you have ahead.

Martyn

May I add, think about the K&A. We were on this canal at the beginning of our boating life. And this was when relatively recent after the restoration. It has gone a little downhill since and is hard work. (Before anyone jumps in, I know that canals can go up as well as down)

We got a little fed up of going up and down.,to and fro.Didn't want to go onto the Thames or the Bristol Channel. We moved to the south Oxford.

I will need to commute to and from Southampton at weekends for a while as I am a carer from Friday evening till Sunday night, so i really need to be an hour or two driving time away from my moorings. South Oxford could be an option as eventually I would like to cruise further north

Going up to Crick on Tuesday, if I like her I will put a deposit down, after months of looking and the awful stress of selling my house lets hope this will be the start of a new life.

I will keep you informed. I will looking for a marina down south, Reading, Aldermaston etc. maybe get a skipper to bring her down, getting ahead of myself here I know, but one has to have a plan.

We're in Reading and looked at a mooring in Aldermaston too, but opted for a marina for the first year.