What should be in my basic toolkit?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Contents of my workshop, lathe, welding kit gas and electric, both Snap-on tool trolleys, compressor, press, plus all my collection of odds and sods, think I could leave lawn mowers out.

According to a recent post, you may need the lawnmower if you intend to cruise the Staffs & Worcester :)

Edited by cuthound

Depends on whether you want to just deal with emergencies, or whether you want to do all your own preventative maintenance.

For the first category, you just need hammer, screwdrivers, gaffa tape, self amalgamating tape cable ties and a folding pruning saw to cut most things off the prop.

and lots of WD40.

Tam

If your DIY skills are not good, don't buy very cheap tools, especially screwdrivers as they tend to jump out of the screw causing damage. You think it is your lack of skill and then give-up.

I like these screwdrivers, but they are not cheap. - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93334

and this knife - http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-xp-folding-knife/55599

Edited by Chewbacka

For storing those screws, nuts, bolts, etc I find those round plastic containers with screw tops that the laundry product Vanish comes are excellent.

I probably have too many tools and spares but should be able to repair/replace most common breakdowns when in the wilds.

A sad day when I got rid of my Snap On tool boxes when we became CCers but had to downsize to smaller boxes. I do like my Snap In ratchet screwdriver, I think it cost £35 ten years ago,just looked on eBay and they are around £55 now. Better not drop it in the cut!

A decent head torch can make the difference between a first class job and a swearing, bitter, dismal failure. And, it makes carrying two bags of shopping along a muddy towpath in the dark so much easier!

There are several tasks that you may wish/have to tackle on a canal boat whilst cruising:

1. Clearing junk from the propellor.
  2. Cutting and splitting wood for the stove.
  3. Servicing the engine.
  4. Fixing electric faults, replacing pumps etc.
  5. Bleeding the fuel system (after you have serviced the engine or run out of fuel).

Running out of fuel may require a large (25l) container, a trolley to transport it, a large funnel to ensure most of it goes into the fuel tank and a lot of energy to drag it through a mile or more of mud/snow.

Having just completed all of the above plus, does this mean I know what I am doing then??????????

Don't know if they still do, but Halford's used to sell excellent tool kits. I always intended getting one particular for the boat but never got around to it.