Morso squirrel flu seperated from top plate - fixing advise

Featured Posts

Oh no – anyone got any advice? I let a friend stay on my boat for 2 days, and he somehow managed to separate the flue from the top plate, I’m not sure how the fitting should work, so not sure how to fix it, I tried fixing it with that heat clay but that failed, the flue doesn’t sit naturally over the hole, it requires pressure to keep it in place, it has a back boiler, lots of plumbing, so moving the unit is not preferable to moving the flue –

Do I just need a new cuff or topplate or some other fix, can you take off the top plate really? I would have though these things become jammed with heat over the years

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Martin

The flue should really sit nicely on top of the stove and move up and down in the roof collar. There's an installation guide on bas

Not if it cast

That explains why all squirrel stoves are failing.

Edited by Tonka

I believe collar is held in place by screws which rot with the heat and sheer off remove collar and drill and tap bolt holes or buy new collar.

Yep!

The parts are

Collar 44140921

Lugs 44256700

Bolts 743625

Note there are 2 sizes of collar above is larger as my installation has a step down connector to the 4" flue.

Edited by nine9feet

The flue should really sit nicely on top of the stove and move up and down in the roof collar. There's an installation guide on bas

Not if it cast

That explains why all squirrel stoves are failing.

Key word is should. The flue should move in the roof collar. Of course, most are cemented in solid, the flue expands and breaks the stove top

Richard

Yep!

The parts are

Collar 44140921

Lugs 44256700

Bolts 743625

Note there are 2 sizes of collar above is larger as my installation has a step down connector to the 4" flue.

Thank you, not only have my bolts and lugs long disappeared into the ash tray but the collar is cracked.

• 3 weeks later...

ame="Tonka" post="1580391" timestamp="1433004182"]

Key word is should. The flue should move in the roof collar. Of course, most are cemented in solid, the flue expands and breaks the stove top

Richard

But that means that the top of the stove is supporting a cast iron flue and a Squirrel is not designed to support this.

The top plates on Squirrels are terribly thin and I reckon just the weight of the flue pipe resting on it will eventually cause trouble even if it does move in the roof collar. A couple of hefty stand off's clamped to the pipe and secured strongly to the cabin wall behind would help take the weight.

If the packing around the pipe in the roof collar is not too tightly packed and sealed with silicon, which should remain flexible, it will allow the pipe to move up and down. Ordinary cheap silicon is fine, it's all fireproof.

The top plates on Squirrels are terribly thin and I reckon just the weight of the flue pipe resting on it will eventually cause trouble even if it does move in the roof collar. A couple of hefty stand off's clamped to the pipe and secured strongly to the cabin wall behind would help take the weight.

How about something clamped or welded on the lower end of the flue, that looks like a buttress but transfers the flue weight onto the edges of the stove sides/back. smile.png

Short answer seems to be that Squirrels may not be that boater proof... :unsure:

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

The top plate of my Morso Squirrel is intact despite a very heavy flue pipe. However, the flue collar has cracked (it was sealed with solid fire-clay) and has detached from the top-plate. I believe it was originally bolted to the top-plate with two screws through its flanges. All sealed up with expensive high temperature black silicone sealant but yet another dirty, difficult job that will require a proper repair before next winter.

It always worthwhile checking the contents of the ash-pan or on top of the 'smoke deflector' and trying to determine where the various pieces of cast iron came from.

Alan

If the packing around the pipe in the roof collar is not too tightly packed and sealed with silicon, which should remain flexible, it will allow the pipe to move up and down. Ordinary cheap silicon is fine, it's all fireproof.

When I have fitted a SF stove, either Squirrel or Stovax, I fix the flue in the roof collar with silicone and leave the bottom of the flue floating with a small gap. A thin piece of wood, 3 or 4mm can be used to support it initially (the wood will burn away). Then a piece of rope tapped down not too tight, then fill the rest with high temp (300 deg.C) silicone such as Delta. Never had a failure of the type described. All fire cements I have come across inevitably crack due to expansion and movement of the metal, which can lead to leaks.