Is this a realistic price?

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/36836411?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Page%20Posts&utm_content=connells&utm_campaign=tht

I'm always intrigued when a boat crops up on conventional house sales sites, I like the interior of this, but to me, it seems a rather high asking price or am I wrong? - I'm not familiar with these types of boats at all.

I think it is over-priced but the location and mooring bumps it up, big question is, is the mooring transferable? If it is then it's worth a look. I am down there next week so might take a butchers. A BS1 address is not cheap.

I think it is over-priced but the location and mooring bumps it up, big question is, is the mooring transferable? If it is then it's worth a look. I am down there next week so might take a butchers. A BS1 address is not cheap.

The advert implies that it's transferable, but don't give any idea of figures.

The advert implies that it's transferable, but don't give any idea of figures.

They often do in practice but there is rarely ever an absolute guarantee that they will. It gives the site owner the option of not renewing if they don't like the the look of you!, such is the fragility of tenure when living on a boat in a location like that.

I can't say particularly why but I really like that boat by the way, but it's not worth £75k on its own, you are paying for location so any prospective buyer would need to suss out the transferability of the mooring in advance of buying, or you'd end up paying probably twice what the boat on its own is worth.

I've seen a few broads cruisers for sale in the last year and been shocked by their price-Do they hold their value pr have I just seen expensive ones as well?

I do like them though- perhaps because we used to hire them. There was one in our last marina and it made a very comfy home

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/36836411?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Page%20Posts&utm_content=connells&utm_campaign=tht

I'm always intrigued when a boat crops up on conventional house sales sites, I like the interior of this, but to me, it seems a rather high asking price or am I wrong? - I'm not familiar with these types of boats at all.

Oy vay, another boat she wants, already?

Seriously, a sprinkling of boats has been turning up on property sites for some while - I remember seeing some when we were last house-hunting ten years ago. They are rarely, if ever, described as boats, but rather as "one-bedroom apartments" or similar.

As for the price, yes, probably over, though the scant information makes it hard to tell. The agent has carefully avoided any mention of the boat's make, age, construction (fibreglass?), power or dimensions unless I missed them, so it's a really quite uninformative sales blurb dressed up to look comprehensive.

Oy vay, another boat she wants, already?

Seriously, a sprinkling of boats has been turning up on property sites for some while - I remember seeing some when we were last house-hunting ten years ago. They are rarely, if ever, described as boats, but rather as "one-bedroom apartments" or similar.

As for the price, yes, probably over, though the scant information makes it hard to tell. The agent has carefully avoided any mention of the boat's make, age, construction (fibreglass?), power or dimensions unless I missed them, so it's a really quite uninformative sales blurb dressed up to look comprehensive.

ahah no, still very much in love with Wanda, so will be keeping hold of her for the forseeable future!

Yeah, It's a typical property advert, which is fine for houses, but doesn't give the right detail for a serious boat buyer - but then, with my agent hat on, things like age/construction etc wouldn't even occur to me, it's not what you normally deal with.

I wonder what makes people chose mainstream agents rather than a boat broker.

I wonder what makes people chose mainstream agents rather than a boat broker.

I would say because they are primarily targeting people looking for somewhere to live in central Bristol rather than someone looking to go boating. Some people looking to live there may not ever have considered living on a boat.

It will probably never move from the pontoon.

with my agent hat on, things like age/construction etc wouldn't even occur to me, it's not what you normally deal with.

Well....with my fairly experienced house-buyer hat on, I'd say that the construction material is quite often mentioned (especially if it's out of the ordinary, e.g. Cotswold stone) and age is frequently quoted for older properties to prove that they've lasted from then until now (e.g. a mid-Victorian house, a Georgian cottage). The type of engine doesn't often get a mention though!

I've seen a few broads cruisers for sale in the last year and been shocked by their price-Do they hold their value pr have I just seen expensive ones as well?

I do like them though- perhaps because we used to hire them. There was one in our last marina and it made a very comfy home

They do hold their money very well probably because they are so expensive to buy new.

One of the boats we used to hire is up for sale at the end of this hire season. It's a 1992 28ft boat and was looking tatty when we last hired it 8 years ago Although it had just been rengined at that time with a new Nanni 30hp.

It has an asking price of £52k!

They do hold their money very well probably because they are so expensive to buy new.

One of the boats we used to hire is up for sale at the end of this hire season. It's a 1992 28ft boat and was looking tatty when we last hired it 8 years ago Although it had just been rengined at that time with a new Nanni 30hp.

It has an asking price of £52k

£52K- Wow

Well....with my fairly experienced house-buyer hat on, I'd say that the construction material is quite often mentioned (especially if it's out of the ordinary, e.g. Cotswold stone) and age is frequently quoted for older properties to prove that they've lasted from then until now (e.g. a mid-Victorian house, a Georgian cottage). The type of engine doesn't often get a mention though!

Yes, you're right, we only have bog standard 60's builds available at the moment, so they haven't had the most exciting descriptions written about them.

I can't say particularly why but I really like that boat by the way, but it's not worth £75k on its own, you are paying for location so any prospective buyer would need to suss out the transferability of the mooring in advance of buying, or you'd end up paying probably twice what the boat on its own is worth.

I find that I like it enormously too... although the amount of windows makes it feel like the proverbial goldfish bowl.

Estimating it at around 40' thats about £3k annually for mooring, and I cannot see anywhere in the ad that it is residential. (Bristol Marina web site quotes £240 / metre / year). Thats £250 per month to park the boat - plus (if applicable) rates, electric etc. Don't know the area re property costs or wage rates but doesn't seem too cheap to me - but then I'm a pensioner!

Estimating it at around 40' thats about £3k annually for mooring, and I cannot see anywhere in the ad that it is residential. (Bristol Marina web site quotes £240 / metre / year). Thats £250 per month to park the boat - plus (if applicable) rates, electric etc. Don't know the area re property costs or wage rates but doesn't seem too cheap to me - but then I'm a pensioner!

Most modern housing estates have some sort of service charge for grounds maintenance (councils don't like taking anything on they don't have to now with stretched budgets).

Our friends at Burton Waters pay nearly £3600 per year on service charges alone!

Our mortgage is less then that!

Most modern housing estates have some sort of service charge for grounds maintenance (councils don't like taking anything on they don't have to now with stretched budgets).

I trust that these fair-minded councils do not, therefore, charge the full rate of council tax (a charge for services) on these properties,

What's that? They do? Gosh!

It does seem a bit high for such a boat but like others have said I expect it is the desirable central Bristol location that will be pushing the price up.

The sellers seem to be relying on the buyers not understanding that transferability of the mooring lease does not mean there is security of tenure, and hence charging a substantial premium for the mooring is bordering on dishonest.

Sometimes I wonder if sellers understand the difference themselves.

Any premium resulting from the location of the mooring ought to go to the owner of the mooring not the boat, by rights, in my opinion.

MtB

(Edit to develop my argument.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Far too much of the agent's price is for the location, without confirmation that the mooring is transferable. No mention of obvious things like mains services does infer that it's going to be a hard work mooring -go to the tap to fill the tank, empty the bog, etc. Also it's a fair guess that it's never recently been painted under water or anti fouled.