Renaming a boat

Featured Posts

The only downside to changing a boat's name is the cost of the labour to remove the old name, So it's best done at a repaint. And it's best done well as you look at it every day!

Very true, it's not uncommon to see boats on the system that have not had the required prep work done sufficiently well, with the result that the old name remains visible even (or especially) when the boat is painted with shiny new paint.

We were lucky, Lola's old name was on a plate, screwed either side onto the cabin walls. Unscrew plate, add new name sorted until, the repaint happening right now. It's a bugger having a boat and no boating possible, another two weeks to go. 4 weeks to scrub and repaint.

Name not changing and I too carn't be arsed with all the superstitious clap - IMHO

Name not changing and I too carn't be arsed with all the superstitious clap - IMHO

IMO there is one possibility for this superstition which could have some credence.

Going back to the days of wooden sailing ships, the name was carved across the transom. In order to rename a boat it would be necessary to carve out the old name to provide a new flat in which to carve the new name.

This must weaken that particular timber. Do that to a particularly poorly specified boat, or even worse unwittingly rename more than once, and you MAY just have the potential for a catastrophic failure in rough weather.

So you can all go ahead and repaint your names on steel boats on the calm canals with impunity.

George ex nb Alton retired

When I was new to the forum I asked which sterns would be best - cruiser, trad or semi trad. There were a few mutters of "been there before" but also some helpful linkies to previous threads and a lot of discussion which I was grateful for. It didn't cross my mind to use the search facility because being totally new to boating and the forum I had no idea this was a question that may have been asked before. Also most members admit the search facility on here is far less than ideal.

Sometimes it's good when old topics are reopened with new members able to add their views and experience. Most questions that need to be asked have been asked, mostly the answers are contested. If it's compulsory to rely on the search facility and not ask previously asked questions we might as well close the forum down and turn it into a FAQ site.

How about giving folks the benefit of doubt and giving helpful advice and linkies? If you're not willing to do that then maybe refrain from posting?

The forum is definitely a less welcoming place than when I first joined. I'm embarrassed when I look back at the newbie questions I asked but I was treated with tolerance and goodwill and I can't remember anyone ever telling me to use the search facility.

ETA to answer the OP superstitious nonsense IMO. Just change the name - waste some alcohol if you like but only take it out of the water if it needs blacking or surveying

Well said, lighten up people,and try and be helpful!

IMO there is one possibility for this superstition which could have some credence.

Going back to the days of wooden sailing ships, the name was carved across the transom. In order to rename a boat it would be necessary to carve out the old name to provide a new flat in which to carve the new name.

This must weaken that particular timber. Do that to a particularly poorly specified boat, or even worse unwittingly rename more than once, and you MAY just have the potential for a catastrophic failure in rough weather.

So you can all go ahead and repaint your names on steel boats on the calm canals with impunity.

George ex nb Alton retired

That one belongs in the Urban Legends thread, doesn't it?

Thanks for this Ange. I'll probably wait till she's out of the water. Poor boat will have been through several name changes. Two names ago her name was a Grade 2 Toe Curler; the current name I'm inheriting is just too darn long - she'll go to the bottom before I've finished the mayday call!

I know some people have a bit of fun with the re-naming - not because they're superstitious but because it's an excuse for a bit of fun :)

If she's out of the water anyway you might as well have a few drinks, spill some on her and if you fancy dance naked :D

The only downside to changing a boat's name is the cost of the labour to remove the old name, So it's best done at a repaint. And it's best done well as you look at it every day!

On the plus side, the boat had a repaint recently and her name has not been painted on: she's a blank canvas!

Well some missed the humour and the OP was not a new member.

I checked before my post..

For the record, the OP (moi) joined 2 or 3 years ago at the time when I bought my first ever boat. It was pretty scary. I learned quite a lot and was encouraged by reading through forums such as this one, and later dared to make the odd comment or pose the odd question - I forget what about. I sold that boat last summer, thinking I was through with boating. Turned out I wasn't. So I just spent best part of 4-5 months hunting for another boat, found one, and thought I'd dive back in here with a light-hearted comment. I'm not remotely superstitious, really - but I really do need to re-name the boat I'm buying and I really do need to choose the moment to do that.

Search engines. Absolutely adore them. Try entering "name boat" as a forum search term and see what happens. "Bow thruster" is more productive.

Hey! Mrs Squirrel says to Mr Squirrel, "Darling, do you love me?". Mr Squirrel says, "You drive me nuts! How many times have I answered that question before?"

- but I really do need to re-name the boat I'm buying

Before we even knew a boat was to be offered to us i had the name Troll's Castle in mind. No-one else has that, and it's still available if you want it :)

Have a run through Jim Shead's boat name list (put 'canalplanner' into Google to find it), that might give you some ideas.

Also, people here could have a little competition to come up with some nice names for you.... ?

Before we even knew a boat was to be offered to us i had the name Troll's Castle in mind. No-one else has that, and it's still available if you want it smile.png

Have a run through Jim Shead's boat name list (put 'canalplanner' into Google to find it), that might give you some ideas.

Also, people here could have a little competition to come up with some nice names for you.... ?

Thanks Mr Fox. I already have a name for her that doesn't yet appear on Jim Shead's list. The only question is the right moment to apply it :)