Keeping a wet edge and best Laying-off brush

Featured Posts

Painting a boat outside is a challenge, trying to find cool dry days with not too much sun and not too much wind. The edges between areas painted seem to dry very quickly and this makes laying off very difficult. Any Tips or tricks? are there any additives that help inhibit the drying time that don't interfere with the paints properties. Also any laying off brushes to be recommended?

I'm applying the paint with a roller and then laying of with a two and a half inch bristle brush. Sorry I do not have the luxury of being able to paint under cover or to be able to pay someone ----so trying to do the best I can.

Painting a boat outside is a challenge, trying to find cool dry days with not too much sun and not too much wind. The edges between areas painted seem to dry very quickly and this makes laying off very difficult. Any Tips or tricks? are there any additives that help inhibit the drying time that don't interfere with the paints properties. Also any laying off brushes to be recommended?

I'm applying the paint with a roller and then laying of with a two and a half inch bristle brush. Sorry I do not have the luxury of being able to paint under cover or to be able to pay someone ----so trying to do the best I can.

A 3" or 4" brush. Products you can add are: Easy Flow from Epifanes, or Owatrol. You can add white spirits, but there's a limit, after which it will kill the gloss. Keep the area you want to paint directed away from the sun or start painting as early in the day as the temperatures will allow. Speed and technique with practice. Keep the steel cool to the touch. Once it starts heating up, your time will decrease to keep your wet edge.

7" gloss roller and 3 or 4" brush. Long bristled good quality brushes with a good spring. I prefer to keep the tip of the brush 'wet'. This holds the bristles together rather than them splitting up with dryness.

Edited by Higgs

Last week was an absolute pig to paint outside in. Paint would not settle properly, even with Owatrol, small amount white spirit added.

Only wednesday looked promising , 5mph wind and sun behind trees until 10am, so I was up at 5, towelling the dew off, again at 5.45 and was painting at 6am.

The flies were appearing by 7 but by 8.30 am I had an entire side with an acceptable for signwriting top coat.

Not perfect, but as good as it was going to get without painting inside.

3" Purdey Pro-Extra 75mm

a roller inevitably leaves pimples/mottled appearance.

a good brush leaves it smooth with faint ridges which should even out and go dead flat within a minute or so, if the paint consistency is right.

there was a video showing a roller and brush expert painting his boat - someone will provide the link.

EDIT: ...................... crossed in the process with post #9

Edited by Murflynn

• 1 year later...

Might be a dumb question, but when using the laying off brush paint starts to build up on it which then starts to dry on you.

How do you remove excess paint from the laying off brush - bit of rag, or dunk in white spirit or some other way.

I was getting quite good results last year until the brush started getting clagged up...

Purdty brushes are excellent, and Owatrol oil to slow paint down. I have heard Hamilton brushes are top notch too.

Not in the Purdy league, but I have found the red/black handled brushes from Wilkos to be excellent for the money.

I seem to recall somebody saying that new brushes had to "wear in?"

Edited by Guest

Might be a dumb question, but when using the laying off brush paint starts to build up on it which then starts to dry on you.

How do you remove excess paint from the laying off brush - bit of rag, or dunk in white spirit or some other way.

I was getting quite good results last year until the brush started getting clagged up...

keep wiping the excess build-up off your brush against the edge of the paint can, or even better - fit a straight bar across the top of the paint can and wipe off on that.