Carrying Spare Parts

plainsman

Featured Posts

I have a Leece Neville alternator that provides power to engine and domestic batteries. Is it worth carrying a spare just in case? I've heard that an alternator can lose magnetism if left in store for a while so will not work when needed. Advice appreciated

Personally I'd not carry an alternator BUT I have 2 ways to charge the batteries - alternator and solar power. Alternators can & do fail but not that frequently, and its quite a bulky item to carry around just for the sake of it.

In my experience Leece Neville are the most reliable alternators on the market (with possibly one unusual and expensive exception) and I wouldn't bother carrying a spare. to back this up, I have one on my boat and don't carry a spare....

They can lose their magnetism occasionally but this isn't a problem to sort out quickly and without having to change any parts. Sometimes this even happens while they are in service. However It is possible to install a little circuit to give the alternator a nudge when you start the engine which prevents this remote possibility happening.

Hope this helps...

Arnot

There is a very small chance that a good alternator will fail when correctly used, however with a single alternator there is a risk of total power failure if the alternator stops making electricity. You must chose whether to carry a spare or find a find a replacement immediately on demand. Do you have any other means of making electricity?

I would have a spare alternator but fitted to the engine. More charge current, potentially simpler wiring if to charging multiple batteries/banks and probably most important, redundancy.

Boats knock seven bells out of alternators which are primarily designed to fit into road vehicles. They do fail, and almost always in the most inconvenient place, so my advice is yes, carry a spare, already set up with pulley and bushes etc to enable a swift replacement.

Boats knock seven bells out of alternators which are primarily designed to fit into road vehicles. They do fail, and almost always in the most inconvenient place, so my advice is yes, carry a spare, already set up with pulley and bushes etc to enable a swift replacement.

I do.

My leisure alternator warning light/buzzer came on on two occasions after being idle for the winter. Engineer said it might of been condensation or a small amount of rust on the brushes. It has been ok the last two months.

But I did buy a spare just in case.

Andy

I carry a spare alternator, fuel pump, 2 x oil filters, 6 litres oil, 1 x air filter, 2 x fuel filters, 1 x thermostat

Hoses, bits of wire, tape, cable ties, jubilee clips, jump-leads, 20 litre Jerry can of known clean diesel, battery leads, and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

I also have a complete spare (identical) engine and reconditioned gearbox in 'store' so if anything serious happens , phone call to son and parts (or complete engine)available within hours.

Too many years on lumpy water boats.

My HC-Cargo (70A?) alternator failed during the 2014 winter, I suspected a failed diode. The easiest solution was to buy a new one ~£105 - they are commonly available from Chandlers.

I intend to repair the old unit, eventually, and keep it as a spare. Meanwhile, the old unit is a source of spare parts that may get me out of trouble in the future. The cost of a professional repair could approach the replacement cost.

My old Lucas 'marine' alternator lasted much longer, ~10K hrs before the slip-rings were worn out. The main problem with replacing the Lucas with the HC-Cargo was the differing shaft diameters (17mm & 19mm) and belt profile - I obtained a very nice, used, small, cast iron pulley from Burghfield Starter and Alternator Centre for £5 - I wish I had bought my replacement alternator from them.

My new HC-Cargo alternator has noticeable bearing whine, or is it brush noise? Fortunately it was supplied with the correct mounting 'orientation' so I did not have to remove the three long screws to rotate the mounting by 90°.

It is sensible to keep, even buy in bulk, commonly used maintenance spares like oils and oil and fuel filters. My Vetus M310 requires an oil/filter change every 100 hours - typically every month?

Generally, a spare alternator regulator/brush block will fix most charging problems. A decent toolkit, even if you do not know how to use it, may enable a passing expert to fix your problem.

Alan

Edited by Alan Saunders

I have a Leece Neville alternator that provides power to engine and domestic batteries. Is it worth carrying a spare just in case? I've heard that an alternator can lose magnetism if left in store for a while so will not work when needed. Advice appreciated

Thanks everyone for the tips, a lot to think about but much appreciated

I don't think anyone has mentioned spare alternator/water pump belts yet either - a shiny new alternator is all well and good, but if you have nothing to drive it...

Spare engine & gearbox control cables.

I'd add some domestic items to the list - spare fresh water pump, spare shower pump impellor/diaphragm, a spare stove grate and glass if you rely on your stove for heat.