Clayton Lock Property

mark99

Featured Posts

We are moored above. I note it's for sale. Access looks poor and not massive. However perhaps a business opportunity to sell to seasonal canal uses on the Oxford which is quite remote from most services. I'm watching affluent type being shown about by Agent. But can't find out purchase price due to poor connection. Comments welcome. I guess would suit holiday cottage type or alternative lifestyle.

Do you mean the land near Claydon locks?

If so, then word on the towpath is that the plots are £50k each and there is substantial local opposition to the plots being used to moor boats. I dunno how true any of this is though.

my recollection is about 300k but I cannot now find a listing. Do you know the agents?

Edited to add, I may have misunderstood, do you mean the cottage/barn etc at Claydon Top lock which was for sale last year with Fisher German?

Edited by jonesthenuke

Do you mean this, if so it was 280k last year but currently shown as removed from sale.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46515337.html

3 bedroom detached house for sale Claydon, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX17 1TD

A former forge believed to date from the late 17th century. Constructed of brick under a tile roof and benefiting many interesting period features.

Adjacent to Top Lock on the Oxford Canal and approached on foot by the canal tow path
Recently improved for modern day living including upgrading of the heating system and general insulation.
The property offers potential to extend and link into the outbuildings, subject to the relevant consents.
A range of useful barns and stores ideal for hobbies, business and holiday lets, subject to the relevant consents.
Gardens are situated to the front of the property and mainly laid to lawn with flower and shrub borders.

Clayton top lock cottage property & barn Lock 17?. Agent = Savilles.

Right, yes it's Claydon not Clayton. Had me confused!

Nice spot, the previous occupiers used to flog produce to boaters. Public parking next to lock 20, a few hundred yards south.

£300k sounds a bargain to me.

Very appealing but the asking price is way over market value, which (according to I can't remember which web site) is £197.000.

The owner before last was well known waterways artist Jane Selkirk + her husband .

I suspect the lower price is the automated estimate the likes of zoopla gives, I think this is based on size, no of rooms, and local prices for similar size properties, but will not include amenity like canal location, views etc etc.

That's a good theory, Jones - but if you look at property prices in North Oxfordshire then this price estimate does look low by comparison, so I guess it does take into account lack of mains facilities and lack of road access (Jane and Mac used to keep a wheelbarrow two locks down from the house and used it to transport their shopping home).

Edited by Athy

That's a good theory, Jones - but if you look at property prices in North Oxfordshire then this price estimate does look low by comparison, so I guess it does take into account lack of mains facilities and lack of road access (Jane and Mac used to keep a wheelbarrow two locks down from the house and used it to transport their shopping home).

I think the lack of mains electricity and gas is broadly balanced by the highly desirable location.

Net effect: value is the much same as if it was on main services and not in a dream countryside idyll.

MtB

P.S. Do we know if it has a mains water supply? And if it is pump-out or cassette?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I think the lack of mains electricity and gas is broadly balanced by the highly desirable location.

Net effect: value is the much same as if it was on main services and not in a dream countryside idyll.

MtB

P.S. Do we know if it has a mains water supply? And if it is pump-out or cassette?

Not being able to find evidence for or against your theory, I'll agree to differ. Trouble is, because it's a unique property it's hard to find other dwellings with which it can be compared.

EDIT: its last recorded selling price was £170,000. Average house selling price for the area over the last few years is £303,000. I rest my case.

Edited by Athy

Not being able to find evidence for or against your theory, I'll agree to differ. Trouble is, because it's a unique property it's hard to find other dwellings with which it can be compared.

EDIT: its last recorded selling price was £170,000. Average house selling price for the area over the last few years is £303,000. I rest my case.

In about 1998 I'd predict. A meaningless figure unless accompanied by the date of the transaction.

P.S. There must be at least some farm track access to it as there used to be a caravan in the garden. Disappeared a couple of years ago.

Sold in 2006 according to Zoopla's web site. I guess that would be when the Selkirks moved out. It surprised me as I thought that it had been sold again since then. One would expect current prices to be higher than they were nine years ago, but I seem to remember that they dipped for a while after that so I'm not sure what the comparison would be.

May have been there until four or five years ago on reflection.

Was very brightly coloured/painted and looked like it was used as a den for the teenagers. It caught your eye on approach from the south and looked very intriguing! Shame it vanished.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Great spot to dig out a new marina for 1000 boats? Would give Cropredy Marina a bit of competition... well, everybody says competition is 'healthy'.

Are you trying to kill off poor Gregg! :)