Trip on the Trent

Orphiel

Featured Posts

Hallo people

Having (hopefully, pending survey) bagged myself a lovely boat, I now will need to move it from Staffordshire to Beeston Lock, on the River Trent. Am a little nervous about the whole river deal, as I hear the Trent can be pretty hairy. Anyone got any good advice, or would be able to maybe visit for that part of the journey and offer shouting at me and telling me how to do stuff?

I make good tea, and exceedingly good cakes. Lots of chocolate involved.

Should be on the weekend of the 17th-18th March, have spoken to BW and their stoppages are /scheduled/ to be finished then, so here's hoping...

Thanks for all excellent advice on boat buying. Has been definitely much appreciated.

Meg

Hallo people

Having (hopefully, pending survey) bagged myself a lovely boat, I now will need to move it from Staffordshire to Beeston Lock, on the River Trent. Am a little nervous about the whole river deal, as I hear the Trent can be pretty hairy. Anyone got any good advice, or would be able to maybe visit for that part of the journey and offer shouting at me and telling me how to do stuff?

Should be on the weekend of the 17th-18th March, have spoken to BW and their stoppages are /scheduled/ to be finished then, so here's hoping...

Thanks for all excellent advice on boat buying. Has been definitely much appreciated.

Meg

Don't be too worried the section of the Trent you wish to travel on is non-tidal (tidal section starts at Cromwell, below Newark) just make sure river is not 'in flood' other than that just stick to the middle.

Don't be too worried the section of the Trent you wish to travel on is non-tidal (tidal section starts at Cromwell, below Newark) just make sure river is not 'in flood' other than that just stick to the middle.

Yes, if it's anything like the non-tidal Thames boat handling is no more difficult than on a canal - easier on the Thames in fact as it's wider. Just familiarise yourself with signs or marker buoys you might see and perhaps sound signals. Get a copy of The Boaters Handbook free from BW/EA, it has examples of commonly seen signs and a couple of sentences explaining channel markers.

BW: 01923-201120

EA: 01454-624411

Edited by blackrose

Hallo people

Meg

Hi,

You do not say which way you will be coming into the River Trent from, the Trent & Mersey Canal or the River Soar (Grand Union).

This section is not tidal but you do need to be very careful, because if the River Trent is in "flood" and if it is in "flood", you have no other safe option but sit it out until the river levels drop.

To give a recent example, a 70ft narrowboat just last week tried to wind (turn) in the flooded river at Alrewas and was swept onto the weir boom by the force of water. It had to be rescued by a BW caterpillar tractor unit and following this incident, BW have padlocked the lock gates to prevent passage onto the swollen river.

So stay on the canal section until the river conditions are right and then when OK go for it but keep a close eye on the navigation signs. These signs will keep you clear of the river weirs that you will encounter until you come off the River Trent at Beeston.

You do not say if you are mooring at the Beeston Marina on the River Trent or going onto the Beeston Canal.

M&P

Hallo people

Meg

Beeston Lock its not my fav lock and in summer its a magnet for nutters, the moorings around the lock approaches are usually full of live aboard unlicensed boats,BW keeper at the lock house is next thing to useless we pay his wages for what i dont know, so good luck to you and i hope you enjoy the bingo in the club house.

I think you're all starting to make it sound too easy. Don't forget there are cakes involved. Sadly it's just too far for me (and I prefer a nice jam and fresh cream sponge).

ah a true englishman. I prefer guggy cakes... although I think I have been put off with the tales of the trent.... I'd only add to the histeria.

:cheers:

Gross!!!!

:cheers:

A guggy cake is called a GC, and a sikly cake is called a SC.

Guggy cake oozes cream and possibly icing and a SC oozes cream, chocolate and cherries.

A cream slice for example (YUM) is a GC

I see. Known north of the river (Trent, back on topic) as a Gakky cake. Is a cream slice a Mille feuille? Like a vanilla slice but with fresh cream? My favourite (Although Tesco's Raspberry Roulade is running pretty close at the mo).

I see. Known north of the river (Trent, back on topic) as a Gakky cake. Is a cream slice a Mille feuille? Like a vanilla slice but with fresh cream? My favourite (Although Tesco's Raspberry Roulade is running pretty close at the mo).

You will find that the vanilla slice is an off shot of the cream slice. Only hardened dragon slayers can cope with the cream slice.

The vanilla slice is tolerable for breakfast, but not really suitably for any other time of the day.

Chucking it over the side, after makeing sure the other end of the rope is attached to the boat :cheers:

I've only used mine twice for my trips into the Wash. Both were a disaster, so good job it wasn't required urgently. The first time the knot fastening the chain to the rope was too big to go through the hole. The boat had come like this.

When I got back I tied a proper knot, attaching it with a small shackle. Worked perfectly ...... until I tried to use it the next time. The shackle pin got stuck in the hole, and the boat was pitching/rolling badly due to wind over tide sea. I put my head down while standing in the hatch, and was immediately seasick.

Resolved the situation by pulling the anchor back onto the deck, then heading for the shallows, and calmer water, not far away.

I have to say, on both occasions, if I had been on a river, heading for a wier (????) the anchor chain would have been long enough on it's own to let the anchor reach the riverbed.

It's also an idea when anchoring in shallow water to make sure you don't run over the chain/rope and snag it with the prop.

What is the correct method of deploying an anchor?

Have a look at this thread and the various arguments for having the anchor at the bow or stern. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...3&hl=anchor

There's another thread somewhere about suitable anchor attachment points but I can't find it - apparently some weaker bollards can snap off!

Hallo people

Meg

I'd say Alrewas-Wychnor is the trickiest bit. I'll run you through it . Get in touch.

Edited by andywatson

Hallo all

Was away for the weekend so picked up all replies and PMs now.

Cheers for all advice, and will download boaters handbook. Am not singlehanded at least, but the help will consist of the boyfriend who managed to break his arm the last time we were on a narrowboat, helpfully. Did it to spite me, I reckon. He is now fully recovered but somewhat nervous...

Canal route planner says I am coming into the Trent from Derwent Mouth off the Trent and Mersey canal. Am staying at Beeston marina, hoping to get there on the 18th March but as you've all pointed out, if the river conditions are not good will have to leave boat and think again! This may be a silly question, but how will I know? Will there be signs up saying it?

Andywatson, would be very grateful for any help on the Alrewas-Wychnor bit, but am trying to work out if I am coming through it, am poring over maps at the moment but have yet to find a good one. Will PM or give you a call in a bit, also Malc who is also ace with the helpful.

Will also make sure I have an anchor attached.

Meg

Jammy cream doughnuts, by the way, are not only excellently gooey, but a good shape for cramming into the mouth whole.

Hallo all

Was away for the weekend so picked up all replies and PMs now.

Cheers for all advice, and will download boaters handbook. Am not singlehanded at least, but the help will consist of the boyfriend who managed to break his arm the last time we were on a narrowboat, helpfully. Did it to spite me, I reckon. He is now fully recovered but somewhat nervous...

Canal route planner says I am coming into the Trent from Derwent Mouth off the Trent and Mersey canal. Am staying at Beeston marina, hoping to get there on the 18th March but as you've all pointed out, if the river conditions are not good will have to leave boat and think again! This may be a silly question, but how will I know? Will there be signs up saying it?

Andywatson, would be very grateful for any help on the Alrewas-Wychnor bit, but am trying to work out if I am coming through it, am poring over maps at the moment but have yet to find a good one. Will PM or give you a call in a bit, also Malc who is also ace with the helpful.

Will also make sure I have an anchor attached.

Meg

Jammy cream doughnuts, by the way, are not only excellently gooey, but a good shape for cramming into the mouth whole.

A friend of mine told me of the legendary 10 squirt doughnut. He worked in the factory which made them and his job was to insert the syringe and push the button to inject a measure of jam. Apparently this was the most boring job in history of w**k (though the 30 minutes I spent putting happy meal toys in plastic bags then sealing them must run close) so they used to pass the time by, every so often, seeing how many 'doses' of jam a doughnut could accommodate. The record was 10 and these multi-squirt doughnuts would carry on their way, get bagged up and sent to the shop to wait for some unsuspecting doughnut enthusiast to sink their teeth into, and explode in their face.

Good luck on the trent btw (back on topic)

as a rule of thumb, if the water is moving faster than gentle walking pace then i would stay tied up and wait for it to slow down. ( thats if you are on a narrowboat)

on a properly engined up boat you can go out in much faster flows but you need a crew with a bit of experience.

the trent isnt any worse on the non tidal section than any other river. the tidal section can be a bit of an eye opener the first few times. we hit the bottom a few times, bent prop shafts and hit floating debris, but on the non tidal, its a doddle.

the locks are manned, you just radio ahead ( borrow a radio, no one checks if you have a licence, honestly) get them to have it ready for you and just cruise on in. where they arent manned theyre fully electric and easy peasy to use.

I cant imagine needing an anchor but its always handy to have one. but make sure its one you can actually use, not just a deck ornament.

most importantly, relax and enjoy it. the trent is a lovely river, and has some decent pubs along the way too.

A friend of mine told me of the legendary 10 squirt doughnut. He worked in the factory which made them and his job was to insert the syringe and push the button to inject a measure of jam. Apparently this was the most boring job in history of w**k (though the 30 minutes I spent putting happy meal toys in plastic bags then sealing them must run close) so they used to pass the time by, every so often, seeing how many 'doses' of jam a doughnut could accommodate. The record was 10 and these multi-squirt doughnuts would carry on their way, get bagged up and sent to the shop to wait for some unsuspecting doughnut enthusiast to sink their teeth into, and explode in their face.

Good luck on the trent btw (back on topic)

I copied this and e-mailed it to my brother (who works as a baker for a large chain of supermarkets that shall remain nameless) and here's the reply he sent me today:

"10 squirts pah! I've made chilli donuts b4"

:rolleyes::angry::blink::cheers:

Made me laugh... although I'd find it less amusing if I'd bitten into a chilli doughnut myself...! :cheers: