Would you make mooring room.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

There is usually plenty of mooring space on the pontoons, except at busy times, bank holidays etc.

These pontoons are really designed for 25ft to 30ft boats, so when a couple of NBs moor there, they are usually full.

The Lincoln Boat Club manage to moor up to 15 boats on them when on their club cruises. They also manage to get four in the locks at the same time, some of them wide beam.

I just want to make it quite plain I have NEVER had a problem, and people do move up to let me moor if I want. Also I can always moor against the bank, or along the end if necessary.

But others don't have such luck, and it is one of the chief moans about NBs around here.

Would you move your narrowboat, to allow another to moor up, either by hanging half of it over the end of the pontoon, or breasting to another NB?

Would you move your narrowboat, to allow another to moor up, either by hanging half of it over the end of the pontoon, or breasting to another NB?

Of course. I may need to be told to because I am a bit dim sometimes, but I would do if room was needed - of course.

i consider narrowboats floating pontoons themselves, so anyone can moor up to mine if they want if im on a short term mooring. Id happily move mine to get other people on a mooring. in fact i prefer to be on the outside so Id just double up or triple up with someone else. Ive gone double up loads of time with plastic cruisers. and a plastic can moor outside a narrowboat no worries.

Yes, I've no problem shifting if necessary. Anyone is welcome to brest up alongside me as long as they're friendly. I've been surprised how stand-offish a couple of boaters were on the Thames after I saw them looking for a mooring, gestured to them to come alongside and then helped them with their ropes. Perhaps they were disappointed not to find their own space but I think it's only reasonable to be friendly if you're tied up to someone's boat. As a bit of ettiquette, if you brest up alongside someone it's also good manners to ask which deck they would prefer you to walk across.

On the other hand I would be very hesitant myself to brest alongside a row of GRP cruisers in case I caused any damage.

The EA sent out "Welcome Alongside" window stickers last year but for some reason they only sent me one? Perhaps I'll laminate it so I can switch sides.

Edited by blackrose

I hate breasting up (does that make me a leg man?) because I boat to get away from it all and having another boat full of people I dont know so close to me bothers me - but I dont mid sticking 3/4 of my NB into nowhere to make room - as long as I can get on and off without risk and I am not going to get swept away.

I hate breasting up (does that make me a leg man?) because I boat to get away from it all and having another boat full of people I dont know so close to me bothers me - but I dont mid sticking 3/4 of my NB into nowhere to make room - as long as I can get on and off without risk and I am not going to get swept away.

I don't particularly like the idea of having strangers moored up next to me either, but I laothe not being able to find somewhere to moor more, so I am happy for someone to come along side me. I think generally most people don't like it, but it certainly helps when there are so few moorings around.

My boats would break if breasted up. The farmer has said he will never allow anyone other than me to use the mooring I'm on (although it is a BW mooring there is no access to it other than through the farmer's land). It suits my reclusive nature. Though when I had less fragile boats I never had a problem at busy places but I get paranoid about the noise I'm making.

Edited to say: I do often have 'foster boats' sharing the mooring though.

Edited by carlt

i remember one time, a long time ago i was on the norfolk broads and there was a storm coming at the same time as a big fireworks display one night. since so many people turned up for the event and there wasnt enough moorings, it wasnt safe for individual boats who couldnt fit on the pontoon moorings to tie up using bank stakes so what the organisers did was create giant floating raft pontoons out of the boats, so imagine you put a line of boats side by side, say 10 wide beam broads cruisers, then stern onto them was another row of 10 broads cruisers. all the boats dropped their mud weights and the organisers had a couple of barges which were positioned at the ends of the long boat raft. there might have been more than 10 long, in fact it could have been double that and the whole thing just floated happily in the middle of a broad. i think there was more than one raft too. the fireworks display still went ahead and everyone got a prime view from the roof of their boats and when the storm came we all weathered it together over night. the next morning, once everyone had had their breakfast we all gradually untied and went on our way

pretty clever i thought at the time.

Nobody really likes it, but unfortunately on places like the Thames where moorings can be scarce it's a necessary part of socially conscious boating. The EA (and probably other waterways authorities), had a campaign last year to encourage the practice due to increased numbers of boats using the river. I'd rather be moored up on my own too, but I'm sure I'd also be relieved to see a "Welcome Alongside" sticker in someone's window if it was late evening and I hadn't managed to find anywhere to moor.

Edited by blackrose

Another problem voiced at Boston (again, not by me) was NBs on the finger moorings, causing cruisers to moor on the unsuitable alongside moorings provided for NBs at the end of the moorings.

Talking to all, including the lockkeepers, I feel much of the problem was caused by lack of comunication by all. A little common sense would see the NBs moored on the finger moorings to be closer to the access gate, then at the inevitable busy times, moor alongside, breasting if necessary for the few days over the bank holidays, or July, August busy times.

As you may know, we did the trip almost every 2 weeks throughout the season, and always found 'our' moorings i.e. the ones close to the gate available.

Little pisses me off more than inconsiderate use of available moorings....especially on rivers where the space is at a premium enyway.... :cheers:

Once when out with Nuneaton & Brighton I arrived at Heckington Bridge on the Avon to find one 50 foot narrowboat moored right in the middle of the 150 foot long moorings.... :cheers:

One night we arrived at Coventry Basin on a 70 foot hire boat to find it packed with privately owned linnear moorers. The options were breast up to someone or tie up on the sanitary station. A polite request to breast up to the most suitable boat refused we finished up overnight on the water point.

Being used to breasting up our own boats we are always willing to let others tie up along side whether out on the historics, private or hire boats. I'm into live and let live but there's plenty out there work on the "I was here first" principle, especially those who believe they are a class (or two) above you.... :cheers:

We chartered a yacht some years ago from Falmouth to the Isles of Scilly. Whenever we put into a harbour, breasting up was normal and one didn't ask, it just happened. Perhaps us ditch crawlers should learn from seafarers?

Edited to add: Is there a "Welcome alongside" sticker available, and if so from where?"

Edited by Guest

We chartered a yacht some years ago from Falmouth to the Isles of Scilly. Whenever we put into a harbour, breasting up was normal and one didn't ask, it just happened. Perhaps us ditch crawlers should learn from seafarers?

Edited to add: Is there a "Welcome alongside" sticker available, and if so from where?"

Up until a few years ago a similar ethic prevailed on the canals, it is only in very recent times that the snooty 'Linda Snells' have been atracted to the canals. I had a brush with one on the Oxford last summer.

One night we arrived at Coventry Basin on a 70 foot hire boat to find it packed with privately owned linnear moorers. The options were breast up to someone or tie up on the sanitary station. A polite request to breast up to the most suitable boat refused we finished up overnight on the water point.

reminds me of a time at Hawkesbury where I was told that the 48 hour visitor mooring wasn't available as a livaboard moors there and would be back soon, I got a bit grumpy and we ended up on the bend south of the lock......

On the Thames last year I was lucky at Laleham a couple of time and at Windsor on the island by the leisure centre, but I did notice the NB's on the opposite "Eton" side were breasting up.....I'd do it, but I wouldn't fancy mooring up to a stag weekend group.....

I dont mid breasting up where its busy, with suitable regard for my plastic.

But if I moor up in the middle of nowhere, round the back of beyond, why do folks come and moor right next to me.........

I just want some peace and quiet and solitude sometimes.

Jim

Bittern's Boom DC22

I believe this phenomenon is called the 'herding instinct', I have experienced it in the form of "please could you keep your dog under control because we have a cat". I was thinking "I've moored in a completely un-obvious spot miles from anywhere without rings, bollards, pubs, shops or anything, why have you decided to moor here too?". A lot of people do recommend mooring where other people have stopped because 'the locals know the safe spots'. Maybe a sign saying "I'm not local" would be a good idea.

The main arguments I've got against breasting up are 1. Fire risk (I don't use candles a lot of people do) and 2. I really really like the view out of the window, the one which includes rippling water and the reflections which that places on the ceiling.

Edited by magnetman

I believe this phenomenon is called the 'herding instinct', I have experienced it in the form of "please could you keep your dog under control because we have a cat". I was thinking "I've moored in a completely un-obvious spot miles from anywhere without rings, bollards, pubs, shops or anything, why have you decided to moor here too?". A lot of people do recommend mooring where other people have stopped because 'the locals know the safe spots'. Maybe a sign saying "I'm not local" would be a good idea.

The main arguments I've got against breasting up are 1. Fire risk (I don't use candles a lot of people do) and 2. I really really like the view out of the window, the one which includes rippling water and the reflections which that places on the ceiling.

agree totally, except herd it all before Baaa, sheep shouldn't get too close to a lone wolves Bah Humbug - and a sign saying "I'm local" might just scare 'em off :cheers:

I dont mid breasting up where its busy, with suitable regard for my plastic.

But if I moor up in the middle of nowhere, round the back of beyond, why do folks come and moor right next to me.........

I just want some peace and quiet and solitude sometimes.

Jim

Bittern's Boom DC22

We had a strange experience once on the Llangollen. We tied up on a long quiet stretch, no boats for miles and a narrowboat tied up right behind us. When we untied the following morning, the lady said "oh are you going? We will move onto your mooring." They untied their boat, moved up 50 feet and tied up again. There was no difference whatsoever than the spot fifty feet behind. I will never understand some people if I live to be a hundred.

Up until a few years ago a similar ethic prevailed on the canals, it is only in very recent times that the snooty 'Linda Snells' have been atracted to the canals. I had a brush with one on the Oxford last summer.

Must admit that the cut is a very different place than it was when we started out in the 1960's. Pleased to say most people are still OK, but there seems to be a lot more jerks on there these days.

"Nobody really likes it, but unfortunately...."

Depends on your perspective - I only boat for my own version of fun/leisure/relaxation - I happily moor in the middle of nowhere in pursuit of my non-breasted up life choice - that includes deserted river islands - prefer that to TowerBlock-on-Thames!