Gongoozling etiquette

Fmc_rob

Featured Posts

Most accidents I've nearly had, were when a gongoozler was asking me questions, or trying to do something without being asked. For that reason, I've become quite anti-the-getting-involved-gongoozler . If the boat is relatively safe...for example the locks completely filled....I relax, and I'm happy to break into conversation...accept help with the gates etc... ;-)

I am always grateful for the offer of help, but am wary of anyone trying to "take over" as my boat is my home and the large hairy things on the back deck, my family.

I am also glad to explain how things work and why they are done in a certain order as we were all new to the game at some point.

The thing I appreciate most is an offer to close the gate behind me as I leave a lock. This is because I can't know a stranger's skill level, so almost anything else could be risk to them or the boat. It's a faff to do this oneself so it's really helpful, no special skills or tools are required and no supervision beyond a glance or two to ensure the gate's closed and they're safe - simply the most help for the least risk.

On the other hand it can be a real joy to be offered help by someone who is experienced and who knows the foibles of each lock.

We had such help last year on the Stourbridge canal - two delightful guys.

Their knowledge really helped, especially on some gates that tended to open themselves shortly after you shut them!

On the other hand it can be a real joy to be offered help by someone who is experienced and who knows the foibles of each lock.

Very true. The Rochdale lock 92 being one of them. If you don't know it's ways, you'll take 45mins to get through it. Reading the level of the upper pound, and deciding whether to let more water down, can make it a lot less of a wait.

The worst kind of "helpers" are those who rush up and start opening paddles quickly and without asking.

The closest I ever got to being sunk was due to a couple of lads suddenly opening the (unbaffled in those days) gate paddles at Tyrely and almost filling the well deck. My wife was still closing the bottom gate at the time.

Fortunately the heeded my shouts and quickly closed the paddles.

Ever since then I have been wary of help, unless it is restricted to opening or closing gates or I know the lock crew.

Long ago someone suggested to me that to ask a gongoozler to lend a hand could be construed as a form of verbal contract, so that in the event of that person hurting him/herself, you become possibly liable for damages. However if they offer, then it is they who have accepted the potential dangers involved. Don't know how far it stands up, legally, but it is something I have stuck by for about 20 years.

I would never consider lending someone a windlass to work locks for me unless I was 100% sure they knew what they were doing. IE. coming up the Atherstone flight talking to a couple who made it known they had a boat at Barry Howkins yard and if I lent them a windlass they would set ahead and see me at the yard.

As an aside I once came to a blind bridge hole and a walker waved me through. I thanked him kindly to which he replyed he thought I was daft trusting a complete stranger like that, he might just have been waiting to watch a crash.

Long ago someone suggested to me that to ask a gongoozler to lend a hand could be construed as a form of verbal contract, so that in the event of that person hurting him/herself, you become possibly liable for damages. However if they offer, then it is they who have accepted the potential dangers involved. Don't know how far it stands up, legally, but it is something I have stuck by for about 20 years.

My legal 'beagle' cousin also warned me of this some years ago. When the American custom of suing for the littlest thing started to take hold. Yet another American import we could do without.