Voting without being on the electoral roll

Kristian

Featured Posts

Having served as a Polling Clerk and Polling Station Presiding Officer many times, I can assure you catagorically that the anwer is NO! More importantly it is a criminal offence not to register to vote, with a maximum penalty of £1,000.

According to Gov.uk, not registering is only an offence if you're asked to do so and then don't comply.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/overview

So although it might seem like pedantry, it looks to me like it's actually non-compliance with the request that's the offence, not non-registration itself.

Also it says the fine is 80 quid?

Edited by blackrose

According to Gov.uk, not registering is only an offence if you're asked to do so and then don't comply.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/overview

So although it might seem like pedantry, it looks to me like it's actually non-compliance with the request that's the offence, not non-registration itself.

Also it says the fine is 80 quid?

It took you long enough to find that one, but I know you like wrong footing me whenever you can.

Yes you correct, but the vast majority of people will have recieved a letter inviting them to register, or confirming that they will be automaticly registered if all the personal details are the same as the last time they registered (Better spell out the two alternatives for the pedants!") Only a tiny minority, who have managed to fall beneath the radar, will not receive a letter, therefore the fine will apply to almnost everyone over the age of 16 and eliguible to register.

Having researched the matter a bit more, it would appear that during the earlier stages of writing the draft Act, the propsal (which I was quoting) included a maximum fine of £1,000, However, consultation and some intense lobbying, and protest from both Councils and MP's, resulted in the published regulations finally including a penalty of £80.

Edited to add:- Trying to find copies of the draft papers and Act on the internet through Government sites is almost impossible, Some Acts are very easy to find, but not this one, not unless you know the exact wording, I wonder why?

Edited by David Schweizer

It took you long enough to find that one, but I know you like wrong footing me whenever you can.

No it didn't take me long at all, I only looked at this thread today and found the link to Gov.uk straight away.

Dear me aren't we sensitive! I think you take things far too personally - I wasn't trying to "wrong foot" you. I was just responding to a post - and I don't care whose post it was. Why must you take it the wrong way?

If you're too sensitive about people replying to your posts then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a public forum in the first place. huh.png

Yet another thread where people can't have a reasonable conversation without taking things personally... I'll leave you to it.

Edited by blackrose

No, we had a referendum about a particular form of PR and that was defeated.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Many of us (well, me for one) voted against AV because it's rubbish and isn't PR.

One single solitary airing of the issue hardly counts as "forcing people to rerun referendums until they get the result they want".

There are many forms of election and really it was a crap way of going about anything.

This is yet another reason why referendums, in general, are a waste of time and money. It doesn't stop me voting when there is one, but a lot depends on how the question is posed anyway. Governments are elected to make decisions.

No ... but the very fact that some people are saying that it wasn't a proper referendum on PR because it only offered a single c^&p type of PR suggests that they think it should be rerun.

Of course it was a bad way to run the referendum - but the political elite don't want a change that would make one iota of difference to the way they run the country for their own benefit

I don't think there was any such suggestion, Kev - we were just pointing out that a particular half-baked wishy-washy alternative to FPTP was offered and rejected.

No it didn't take me long at all, I only looked at this thread today and found the link to Gov.uk straight away.

Dear me aren't we sensitive! I think you take things far too personally - I wasn't trying to "wrong foot" you. I was just responding to a post - and I don't care whose post it was. Why must you take it the wrong way?

If you're too sensitive about people replying to your posts then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a public forum in the first place. huh.png

Yet another thread where people can't have a reasonable conversation without taking things personally... I'll leave you to it.

Having read through your last half dozen posts, I now realize that it is not just me that you choose to ridicule, but almost everyone. and there was me thinking I was your special choice.

Interesting. I have found in my experience that it doesnt seem to work like this. What I have discovered is that every time I claim JSA the 1st thing that happens is I'm removed from the electoral roll.

I was unable to vote at the last general election, despite making sure I was on it, because I was miraculously removed from the roll just before the elections.

This time around, I made sure I was on it after I moved onto my boat (residential mooring in a marina, pay council tax), & yet I discovered this week that once again I am not on the electoral roll.

I find it suspicious because the CSA always seem to know exactly where I am 5 mins after I got there, & so do the VOA, yet somehow despite repeated attempts to stay on it, I never seem to be on the electoral roll at the right time.

obviously part of a Tory conspiracy to prevent the jobless from voting rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Having read through your last half dozen posts, I now realize that it is not just me that you choose to ridicule, but almost everyone. and there was me thinking I was your special choice.

I haven't ridiculed you at all David, nor have I ridiculed almost everyone else on this forum in my previous half dozen posts! With these kinds oF silly and unfounded accusations you actually ridicule and make a fool of yourself - you don't need me to do it.

Anyone reading this thread can see that the real issue is that you don't like being corrected. If you choose to see that as being ridiculed then it's really up to you, but it's a complete overreaction.

Anyway, back on topic, I've just registered to vote without a residential or postal address and all it took was filling out and returning a couple of forms to my local council. Took me 5 minutes.

Edited by blackrose

So we keep having referendums on the specifics of PR until the electorate are so bored that eventually only those that are interested in forcing the change through are bothered to vote

That is what will happen with the Scottish Independence Referendum! It is the way society is going if you don't get the result you want try again until you do.

I thought I would update this ....neither me or OH have received any communication from the Electorial Office regarding our forms so I rang....first they couldn't find us then they did.

"Oh good" I said..

"Ähh we've passed your forms to a Senior Officer because we don't know how to deal with them"

"Could I ask why you haven't acknowledged receipt" I asked

"We are very busy. I will tell the Senior Officer you called"

So I have no idea whats going on or whether I shall hear anymore. Think I may just email one the concillors there and ask if they can do anything

I'd be more than happy not to vote. I've avoided it for 48 years so why change the habit of a lifetime.

Me too, until there is a suitable candidate I will spoil my ballot paper. No way will I give up my hard-won right to vote.

There are disadvantages to not being on the electoral roll, e.g. it makes it hard to get credit or a credit card. As I found recently, I could not hire a car without a credit card even though I have adequate funds in my current and savings accounts to purchase the car. Also, some use the credit card as proof of age, i.e. >18.

Neither of my relations will accept my mail at their address; if they just binned my mail it would not be a problem (except for DVLA and DWP) but returning mail "Not known at this address" causes serious problems with the money laundering laws.

As above, ACC and others have advice on these issues but I dispute that it is easy; local council officers are often ill informed.

Alan

Turned into a frustrating mess for me. Council ignored emails asking about the process, what we would need to do, docs we would need to produce etc first of which I sent on 7th Feb. We

went to the council house in person filled in the form and posted it to them beginning of March.

Email chasing this up not answered for days, request for supporting docs sent to boatyard we are claiming local connection to not our correspondence address.

Emailed copies of passport only to discover the form we initially filled in does not request a postal vote as I thought.

Now have to print off form and post back to arrive no later than Mon 5pm. Printer cartridge dried up.

Will not give up tho. Lap of the gods whether we then get the postal votes from correspondence address via poste restante in time to return them before cut off date.

Val

I do not understand the hassle part. I filled in the form exchanged 2 emails including where they would like them send the conformation and 2 days later I had everything.

I have been informed today by daughter that forms to complete for a postal vote have arrived at her address. Great I hear you say.....now all we have to do is get them fill them in and send them back to receive a postal vote. What forms did we complete in the first place then? I get the definate feeling either we won't get them in time or they will late being received at the other end.

Going to phone tomorrow to ask if they will accept scanned completed forms by email....though I think I already know the answer to that question.

Edited by tillergirl

Well I rang today and they sort of admitted they had not read our forms correctly. And they agree they should have emailed them. So they have done so and they have been completed, scanned and emailed back. Just need to see if they arrive in time now............I think its going to be tight!

congratulations to all of you who have obtained a vote by 'proving a local connection'; it is not easy.

Being on the Electoral Roll also enables you to obtain credit, get a Bus Pass etc., etc.

You may think that you you do not need a Credit Card but, as I found recently, without a Credit Card it is difficult to e.g. hire a car.

Alan

congratulations to all of you who have obtained a vote by 'proving a local connection'; it is not easy.

Being on the Electoral Roll also enables you to obtain credit, get a Bus Pass etc., etc.

You may think that you you do not need a Credit Card but, as I found recently, without a Credit Card it is difficult to e.g. hire a car.

Alan

Alan voting via local connection does not put you on the electoral roll for purposes of credit etc it is only a temporary enrollment Edited by cotswoldsman