Almost there!

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

So our survey has been completed, a few points were picked up that included,

Small bit of welding on the base plate(Had hit something, no leak)

Fit Anodes

Service gas boiler and hob

These have been done, apart from the gas which is being completed today, then BSS will be issued Thursday all going well.

Payment will be made Thursday and with a bit of luck paperwork completed by mid next week!

Here is the boat we purchased, its an ex hire boat, but at the minute it suits our needs in terms of family holidays, we have a mooring sorted at Atherstone on the Coventry canal and hopefully will be bringing it up over the Easter holiday.

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/vidar/

Plans are to use it as a holiday boat for the next three years, then remove the extra bedroom and convert to a living room with a view to becoming a live aboard when all the kids move on in the next 5-8 years.

Very excited and also very nervous as never been on one before and the three day trek to the mooring has a few locks.

Great news.

You will be a near neighbour as we moor about a mile further towards Fazeley from Alvecote. Give us a wave if/when you go past :)

We will look out for you passing from Easter onwards.

Welcome to the world of boat ownership. When I had DQ surveyed the surveyor asked if I knew what boat stood for. I didn't so he told me "bring out another thousand"!

Thanks!

Which marina are you in? We looked at a couple on that stretch but opted for Barry Hawkins place in the end.

End of garden mooring at Amington.

I remember calling in at Barry Hawkins for fuel many years ago, must have been just after he acquired it,because the basin was hidden behind a large wall, not open like now.

Thanks all.

Was actually wondering if anyone is based near the locks at Braunston and would fancy helping out over the bank holiday guiding me through them?

Can repay in a few cold beers and maybe a cheese sarnie!

Or a great coffee made with my own freshly roasted beans! clapping.gif

Edited by Dave Payne

Dave we'd be more than happy to assist; however we are down in Leighton Buzzard at present and aren't even planning on getting to MK much before the long weekend.

Are the Braunston locks the first ones you come to?

If no one is able to assist from the forum, I'd suggest you just tie up before the locks, take your windless down to the nearest lock and assist a couple of other boats through, they will appreciate the assistance and you'll be able to pick up some pointers and see how it all works.

I found it was much more daunting than it actually is after you've done your first one.

The best advice I can offer as a novice is Don't let Anyone rush you, and never get so caught up in the sights your looking at or the folks your chatting with to distract you from what's going on with the boat itself - always keep an eye on the boat and the person at the tiller (if doing the lock), if your on the tiller, always keep an eye on the cill marker if going down

Best of luck and you fresh roasted beans sound wonderful clapping.gif

Hi Dave, according to your link, your boat is at Gayton. If that's where you are setting off from, then the first locks you meet will be Buckby Locks, then Braunston Tunnel and then Braunston Locks.

On a bank holiday weekend there will undoubtedly be another boat to share the locks with.

Edited by Lysander

As Lysander says, the first locks will be the 7 at Buckby then the 6 at Braunston (all wide so far), then the 3 paired single locks at Hillmorton, the stop lock at Hawkesbury Jcn (1 foot drop), then nearly all of the 11 single locks at Atherstone.

If you wait for another boat at the bottom of Buckby, and explain that these are your first locks, I'm sure they will help. If not let them go and wait for someone else. By the time you leave Braunston, you will have a good understanding of how locks work both up (Buckby) and down, Braunston). This will give you the confidence to do the rest of the single locks on your own.

When going down, make sure you keep the boat forward of the cill marker until the cill becomes visible.

Unfortunately I have to DIY back at youngest son's house over Easter, otherwise I would offer to help.

Good luck, and don't forget to enjoy it.

I will be around over Easter but am more likely to meet you going the other way as I am heading up Braunston and then towards the Watford and Foxton melee, but I am sure you will fine just take your time and pair up with another boat as it is so much easier with two boats in the wide locks.

Thanks all.

Was actually wondering if anyone is based near the locks at Braunston and would fancy helping out over the bank holiday guiding me through them?

Can repay in a few cold beers and maybe a cheese sarnie!

Or a great coffee made with my own freshly roasted beans! :clapping:

Why not start a new thread? Asking for help here might not get seen by somebody willing/able to pitch in, I'm sure somebody could? Your are after all passing through one of the most popular spots on the system.

Give our boat a wave as you pass it at Stowe Hill, we however will be 150 miles away so can't offer any help.

So the first lock is at Whilton Marina?

Why not start a new thread? Asking for help here might not get seen by somebody willing/able to pitch in, I'm sure somebody could? Your are after all passing through one of the most popular spots on the system.

Give our boat a wave as you pass it at Stowe Hill, we however will be 150 miles away so can't offer any help.

Good idea, will wait till we have a firm date then post something up.

Yup,

If you wait and share with another boat it is easy. If you do it on your own, you will need to hold the boat to one side, preferably with a centre rope, or bow rope taken back towards the centre of the lock.

Then open the top ground paddles slowly on the same side as the boat. Only then once a water circulation has been established that will (usually) tend to hold the boat against the lockside, very carefully and slowly open the top paddles on the other side of the lock.

With my 60 foot boat I find it better to keep the boat close to the bottom gates, as this minimise turbulence, but this can differ for other boat lengths.

Congratulations Dave, hope you have many happy days on your new boat icecream.gif

I was scared stiff of locks when I first got my boat but I love them now - they're my outdoor gym.

We are heading down to MK at the moment but as Fools Nook swingbridge is closed (from today - mechanical failure) not sure when we're going to be able to get off the Mac, so won't be there to help but as others have said, boaters are a friendly lot, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Chaku

A boat with a dual kludge. Good idea !

Kludge a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together,succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task.

Hhhhhhmmm cool.png

• 3 weeks later...

And so we are now narrowboat owners!

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/vidar/

Ok, so its not great to look at the minute being an ex hire boat, but over the next 3-4 years we shall use it with the layout in place, then when kids no longer want to be seen with us olides on the boat, we can remove the rear bathroom and bedroom.

Really need to repaint this year as the yellow is bad!

Plan to freshen up the inside also with some new varnish, LED's, floor coverings and just make it look more homely!

So watch out for me on the cov/oxford/ashby over the coming weeks, might want to steer clear if you see me coming though..