Anthracite

peterboat

Featured Posts

My Rayburn should be up and running by the weekend so I ordered 300 kilos of anthracite medium lumps for the occasion it cost 103 squids delivered which I dont think is a bad price hopefully it should fill my coal bunker for a while what are you folk paying for yours cheers

Peter

I've tried anthracite in several multi fuel stoves, but couldn't get it to go, despite persevering with it.

Yes that is often true. It is certainly the best fuel with very little ash but does like plenty of air. I find it is great on very cold days with vents open but very hard to keep lit on tickover for long periods, tis a shame as I vastly prefer it but no longer buy it due to these facts.

Tim

I paid more at £10.50 for 25kg collected. I bought the larger nut size and find it a good covering fuel over regular wildfire to get it to ignite. On it's own it's hard to light and needs plenty of air as said. Prefer wildfire for it's ease of lighting, slumbering on a low heat setting etc although not smokeless. Currently burning excel but find wildfire similar. Currently burning wood which is fab.

Jamescheers.gif

I used to light my stove with a used paper oil filter it burns hot so with some wood above it I hope that will get the anthracite going the idea is to have it running 24/7 in the winter and when needed in the summer time will tell how it works

Peter

Years ago I burnt anthracite exclusively on a very old Rayburn which didn't seal properly. Everything else would burn too quickly. On my tight sealing motto squirrel I have a real job getting it to burn at all. It really needs a lot of air to burn properly. If it burns well without mixing, you might want to check your seals.

We use supertherm at moment, burns well, but haven't anything to compare it with

Just bought some wickes smokeless.

So Peter well done, installed, have you also got a pump running the heating?, or just thermo

All the best

Col.

Had a rayburn in my house....ex miner so free coal allowance..

best I used was phurnacite...

not sure if they still do it but burns hot, long and not much ash.

also lights well so can shut the flu for all night burn.