Boat fires and bss

roland elsdon

Featured Posts

Looking at the recent thread about the horrible combination of circumstances at Oxford

1) last 2 boats I bought had bss both had solid fuel stove issues, on survey.

The first too big a fire ( insufficient) space round. Temporary fix remove grate and don't use.

Second worse fire bricks incorrectly fitted not covering un sealed boiler fitting at back. Found because of fumes smell 4 months later... Luckily I've been on the cut 35 years and I'm terrified of fire.

2) I rent my house out. I have an electric check a gas check a chimney sweep and boiler service every year, I pay for them to ensure they happen.

Can't see anywhere that insists that some of our most financial marginalised people who happen to illegally rent boats and illegally moor them have any education or protection and that's the real tragedy, the mark of a society is how it protects is most vulnerable.

I worry when my friends borrow my boat about fire, because there is no such thing as a completely safe stove, and I've seen a few burnouts in my time.

Anyone rents a substandard boat as a residence without a mooring is pretty much like a victorian rack landlord and at least culpable.

I think that Roland has identified that a problem exists with dangerous installations that just get under the radar. If a BSS inspection is never done or somebody just chucks in any old stove and sticks a bit of pipe out of the roof then lives on the thing or even worse rents it out on a casual basis then a disaster is likely. A dead dog is very sad but that could so easily be a sleeping child whose parents are in the boat next door. A friend was visiting us a few years ago when his boat went up, the boat was 50 yds away and we had no idea till tins started exploding. Maybe the local fire safety officer (if they still exist) could give some advice. After all these are homes and they are in some councils area. Lets not bleat about the cost to the hard working taxpayer - just regard it as brilliant free training for the fire service.

Boat's may be in a council's area, but unless paying council tax they will largely be off the council's radar. Save money on council tax lose some council benefits.

Probably true but the fire service (and ambulance and police amongst others) would turn up anyway if called out for people who may not pay any tax, tourists and so on. I just think that if any of my kids were living on a boat or caravan or something a bit unconventional but in a civilised country I would be appalled to think that some sort of disaster could happen in a place like Oxford (or anywhere else for that matter)

That may have been the case in the past (or in some areas), but when we had ours 'checked' last year they told us that they no longer had the budget to issue free Carbon Monoxide alarms.

They would love to and the cost of equipping all the boats in their region would be less than the cost of a major call out, loss of life etc - but the Government said NO !!

I realise that this is completely daft.....and is no way meant to diminish the awful tragedies and near misses that occur....but has anyone ever considered installing a (necessarily limited) sprinkler system?

I realise that this is completely daft.....and is no way meant to diminish the awful tragedies and near misses that occur....but has anyone ever considered installing a (necessarily limited) sprinkler system?

Its not completely daft, but I think on cost grounds it would be prohibitive. The money would be better directed at installing a safer heating system.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that many (probably the majority of..) canal boats have a solid fuel stove, and its a safe installation.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that many (probably the majority of..) canal boats have a solid fuel stove, and its a safe installation.

I'd go further and say that the majority of canal boats have a solid fuel stove whose installation does not meet the recommended installation standards, for example by not having everything double insulated in such a way as to ensure that no heat is radiated into the cabin, and yet they are still safe installations.

I worry when my friends borrow my boat about fire, because there is no such thing as a completely safe stove, and I've seen a few burnouts in my time.

When you talk about stove burn-outs, what are you describing?

A chimney fire or a very hot stove causing a nearby fixture starting to burn?

A chimney fire is much less likely if you sweep the flue regularly and/or have a double skinned flue like on our boat.

We've had open fires and stoves at home for 25 years. Our previous (shared) boat had no stove, so obviously wanted one on our own new boat. The only time we've scared ourselves was when we went out to a pub and forget to turn the fire down. It was lovely and warm on our return, but a candle on the mantel shelf had started melting. We have now obviously removed everything from the shelf.

Edited by MHS

I'd go further and say that the majority of canal boats have a solid fuel stove whose installation does not meet the recommended installation standards, for example by not having everything double insulated in such a way as to ensure that no heat is radiated into the cabin, and yet they are still safe installations.

What is the point of the stove then. I want mine to radiate heat into the cabin and not anything else.

Now I'm puzzled. Why is a chimney fire less likely if you have a double skinned flue?

As I understand it, because they are insulated, the flue heats more quickly, so is less likely to have resinous deposits. Also if there was a chimney fire, the outer skin is insulated, so your boat (or house) is less likely to be affected by it.

As I understand it, because they are insulated, the flue heats more quickly, so is less likely to have resinous deposits. Also if there was a chimney fire, the outer skin is insulated, so your boat (or house) is less likely to be affected by it.

Its not so much that they heat up quicker, but that they cool down more slowly. That is the flue gases remain hotter because they do not lose so much into the boat, and particularly through the wall of the chimney when the flue is outside of the boat cabin.

The problem with a sprinkler system is the amount of water required and the pressure needed. It would have to have it's own tank, not part of the domestic system.

Fire extinguishers on a boat (or a car) are only there to provide a "first aid" measure so that the occupants can get out. To fight the fire you need a big red thing with proper pumps!