Non Tidal Thames Threat !

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Its a shame - but they have had months & months of warning but failed to do anything about it.

Tabby Booth, who owns her boat with her partner James Heslip, said the community had not been offered any sort of compromise and was willing to rent moorings off the council.

"I don’t think Richmond Council realises this is the situation. There is no other place for us to go. It will cause lots of other problems on the waterways as all these boats are going to have to move around constantly.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/11839957.Narrowboat_owners_left_high_and_dry_as_eviction_deadline_looms/

Its a shame - but they have had months & months of warning but failed to do anything about it.

Tabby Booth, who owns her boat with her partner James Heslip, said the community had not been offered any sort of compromise and was willing to rent moorings off the council.

"I dont think Richmond Council realises this is the situation. There is no other place for us to go. It will cause lots of other problems on the waterways as all these boats are going to have to move around constantly.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/11839957.Narrowboat_owners_left_high_and_dry_as_eviction_deadline_looms/

So do you have a problem with 'unsightly' boats Alan?

The thing is, if one wants to live an 'alternative lifestyle', one needs to keep one's head down and not piss off the locals.

Tabby and her 'community' is reaping what she she sowed...

Wrong. So much fruit comes from embracing each others lifestyles. Biggots add nothing to society.

Wrong. So much fruit comes from embracing each others lifestyles. Biggots add nothing to society.

Which bit of what I said is wrong? I'm just describing 'cause and effect'. Ok it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Human nature is like this.Rail against it as much as you like but it will never change. For an easier life run with it rather than fight it and deny it.

Which bit of what I said is wrong? I'm just describing 'cause and effect'. Ok it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Human nature is like this.Rail against it as much as you like but it will never change. For an easier life run with it rather than fight it and deny it.

Maybe there's a bigger picture but if you want to stick your head in the sand, fine. If nice people hadn't stuck their necks out before us, we probably wouldn't be here to discuss it.

Maybe there's a bigger picture but if you want to stick your head in the sand, fine. If nice people hadn't stuck their necks out before us, we probably wouldn't be here to discuss it.

How about answering my question?

Actually, I have another question for you.

How much Thames cruising do you do? You anticipated failure to answer this too will speak volumes!

I see on the London BBC news slot that some of the Teddington lock boaters are busy trying to knock scaffold poles into the river bed to moor off ...... as opposed to actually being attached to the LBR land.

Methinks that they won't be there for long ......

I see on the London BBC news slot that some of the Teddington lock boaters are busy trying to knock scaffold poles into the river bed to moor off ...... as opposed to actually being attached to the LBR land.

So,now they will be a hazard to navigation?

CT

A week of heavy rain should sort it out.

Edited by Loddon

They're only a foot or so from the bank .... but having experienced the flow on the Thames for a few years, it will take more than a few tapped in scaffold poles to hold a boat there.

They need to be twenty feet or so away from the bank to be officially 'off' the mooring

The boats would be required to display a 360 degree anchor light between dusk and dawn

Anchoring in the navigation channel is permitted for 24 hours ,after that time has elapsed the EA can impose fines or slap a Harbour masters notice on the vessel requiring it to be removed from the river

CT

Tabby and her 'community' is reaping what she she sowed...

How about answering my question?

Actually, I have another question for you.

How much Thames cruising do you do? You anticipated failure to answer this too will speak volumes!

Your response speaks even more..and yes, I have cruised the Thames a few times in the last 3 years. I'm sure you know the situation better than me though...

What a bizarre thing to say on what is quite a serious topic. Seriously, I think you should very much consider addressing the issues of the topic at hand, rather than looking at some weird cheap 'points scoring' exercise against me, which is nothing more than a distraction technique when your line of argument becomes incoherent.

Or to put it more simply:

"Play the ball, not the man".

Balls don't learn. Be free to be a ball if you like....

• Greenie 1

There do seem to be a lot of Dutch barge liveaboards (around London) for sale on eBay recently. This is probably why, I imagine the cruising range must be limited around that way.

Regards kris

People get them because they look attractive - proper boats unlike the tin bath esque canal boat and that they have loads of space. They're not boaters, so they don't think about the lack of a weed hatch, the fact that you can't fit them in the cheaper drydocks, or under our many, low bridges. That theyre not designed for our canals. Never mind finding space for them to moor. Or the expense of maintenance. I hear of so many siezed engines. My neighbour has a gorgeous Tjalk. He went through town to drydock this year and announced, 'never again!' And he's boated extensively in that boat - all the way to Brum. But I think the bottom is now too near the top.

I'm guessing that scores of illegal sheds and their owner / tenants will be trying to head up the GU from Brentford from tomorrow on ...... either that or they'll try to head up stream passed Sunbury.

I expect they'll be traveling out of lock keeping hours as they will mostly be unlicenced.

They would not be able to get through Thames Lock.

Furthermore, the EA does not control the river below Teddington.

They would not be able to get through Thames Lock.

Furthermore, the EA does not control the river below Teddington.

This topic started quite reasonably - but as often is the case - it's descended into mud slinging (!) - which is a shame. Using rivers and canals solely as somewhere to live cheaply with no regard or affinity for that environment is bad for all.

It has been said in another thread that liveaboards 'openly' empty their sewage into the cut - even though there are facilities nearby.

For the "Teddington mob" there are no facilities at all - no rubbish, no water, no pumpout, no elsan on site, for their use.

These boats are moored upstream of Teddington Lock and therefore come under the jurisdiction of EA.

As discussed elsewhere it appears that the river bed up to Staines is not only owned by the Riparians owners but also they can control what is placed in the river bed including pilings.

Well, very best of luck to them - I have never seen so much boat movement since, 'the letter' went out on CRT waters. They won't be able to hang around, unlicensed, like they did on the Thames. There are four or five enormous Dutch barges moored near me that I've never seen before, I guess they were shuffling around Hackney, until they got the letter.

I'm going to the Thames soon, going boating for the whole of summer and autumn. Got my Gold license. Cannot wait.

Enjoy! Hoping to get an anchor amd winch fitted this year so that we can to the same. Seen a few boats down this way (Hayes) over the last few weeks that I've never seen outside of zone 1 before now. Waiting to see our old neighbours boat - new owners spent 3 months on the 24 hour moorings round the corner.