NBTA Press Release : The continuous cruising case CRT couldn't win

Alf Roberts

Featured Posts

The question goes to Alf Roberts then - who did you get the info from, or are you the loose cannon within NBTA?

I don't think that accusation can be levelled at Alf Roberts - as Cotswoldsman said, he was just posting for the benefit of the forum. If anything I think that, as someone who has recently resigned, it would be more natural to suspect that I might be loose cannon. Certainly, in the sense that I have chosen to leave, there must obviously be significant differences on some level between my views and those of some people in the NBTA.

Actually, I think it's the reverse. I don't think anybody has broken the non-disclosure agreement. I suspect that the NBTA (or, at least, the people who knew about the case) thought that the very mention of the case was forbidden, hence their silence. Then, once Allan Richards submitted an FOI request, they realised that it wasn't and issued a very hasty press release because they were scared that Narrowboat World would steal their thunder.

Re-read the thread properly!

Your getting in a tiz again, mainly because your not totally aware of what's being said.

I can appreciate your trying to understand and give an opinion, but your not holding all the facts.

In fact your not even close.

Calm down a bit, and open your mind. Get some karma and chill.

Cosmic , pity you felt you had to leave as NBTA is a much needed group and does need to get away from being labelled among the usual suspects.

I can well understand how people can feel fiercely aggrieved by the actions of some employees of CRT and the way that the trust are handling issues of boaters with no home mooring so an attitude of deep suspicion among this group of boaters becomes inevitable .

I'm one of these deluded people who want us all to get on and realise that all boaters have more in common than they have differences.

I'm living in hope. It's on my wish list along with UKIP being beamed up by aliens and all the Tory MPs having a road to Damascus moment and starting to care about more than themselves and their rich mates.

I'm one of these deluded people who want us all to get on and realise that all boaters have more in common than they have differences.

I'm living in hope. It's on my wish list along with UKIP being beamed up by aliens and all the Tory MPs having a road to Damascus moment and starting to care about more than themselves and their rich mates.

You are not deluded and living in hope is far superior to living in disappointment and despair.

Cosmic , pity you felt you had to leave as NBTA is a much needed group and does need to get away from being labelled among the usual suspects.

I can well understand how people can feel fiercely aggrieved by the actions of some employees of CRT and the way that the trust are handling issues of boaters with no home mooring so an attitude of deep suspicion among this group of boaters becomes inevitable .

I presume you have given up on the idea that Labour MPs might one day do likewise?

Lest you have forgotten, Labour beat the Tories by a ratio of 5:2 when it came to the number of MPs and Lords jailed for fraudulent expense claims. The "party of the people" is anything but. The avarice of the last Labour administration was equalled only by their bellicosity (Bair took the UK into five wars) and by their ignorance of basic economics.

Their only hope at the election is that many people appear to have very short memories.

NBTA are often rather selective in what they quote (just like CaRT).

Assuming this is true then it does nothing to strengthen or weaken the case of those who challenge the rules of continuous cruising vs continuous mooring..

What it does do is to show CaRT behaving like vindictive bullies and idiots and somehow all boaters need to unite and stop CaRT from doing this, it is in no-ones interest. There are enough boaters about who are totally ignoring the rules and it is starting to look like CaRT prefer to go after people who they don't like who are slightly bending the rules.

...............Dave

they do act like bullies twice over the last couple of years my family as had trouble with them . The first is with my father who worked for the company for over 20 years back when they got there licence and mooring free . My father was put on a cc licence but that never bothered him because he was never tied up long enough and was always moving around then he collapsed and has been very ill and has to constantly attend the doctors and hospital . He contacted the then bw and explained he needed to be near a road and family and even offered to pay moorings which they wasn't interested in but then a new enforcement officer started and took it as though my father was taking the mic and was going to take his licence off him even after my father showed him all his medical records he still was threatening to revoke his licence

There's a number of people on this forum, who don't believe bw/CRT would ever do anything like that. It's only when you encounter it, that it sinks in. It does seem like there are some over zealous enforcement officers about, all the changes this year is giving them free rein.

Regards kris

The second thing with them was only last year my uncle worked for them for over thirty years sadly he passed away last year to the shock of many people . The same enforcement officer as was giving my dad trouble attended my uncles funeral then a week later put a section 8 on my uncles boat as all within the same month his licence and safety run out leaving us in a right pickle . We couldn't believe how they could be so heartless

When a dying man is harassed and another is so scared of falling foul of CaRT that he is single manning the system following a major operation- well I'm afraid you have to believe that CaRT would certainly do something like that!

There's a number of people on this forum, who don't believe bw/CRT would ever do anything like that. It's only when you encounter it, that it sinks in. It does seem like there are some over zealous enforcement officers about, all the changes this year is giving them free rein.
Regards kris

• Greenie 1

I'm with you on this madcat. I doubt any of those sniping at the various groups would refuse their assistance should they find themselves stuck! It wouldn't matter then what status the boat had. As for NBTA. It has my absolute backing. It and the K & A Boaters site are all we have going for us, time for the 'I'm all right Jack's' today to recognise this - it may well be their turn next to be on CaRT's radar!

• Greenie 2

When a dying man is harassed and another is so scared of falling foul of CaRT that he is single manning the system following a major operation- well I'm afraid you have to believe that CaRT would certainly do something like that!

Oh I fully believe there are people within CRT who are capable of acting in this way, if you had read properly you might have realised that.

Regards kris

I just thought I would update the forum regarding the FOIA request related to this case

Whilst CaRT have provided a copy of the order and confirmed that there was no judgement, I am still awaiting a response on other court documents including the agreement..

CaRT have now exceeded the maximum time allowed to respond (20 working days) and I have emailed them a reminder.

Hopefully they will respond within the next couple of days by providing a copy (or claim an exemption under the act).

I just thought I would update the forum regarding the FOIA request related to this case

Whilst CaRT have provided a copy of the order and confirmed that there was no judgement, I am still awaiting a response on other court documents including the agreement..

CaRT have now exceeded the maximum time allowed to respond (20 working days) and I have emailed them a reminder.

Hopefully they will respond within the next couple of days by providing a copy (or claim an exemption under the act).

Responding to my own post! CaRT have just advised -

We are considering the documents you have requested ("a copy of the settlement and also the evidence submitted by both parties") but it is taking longer than we had anticipated. We our doing our best to reply promptly but commit to providing you with our full response by 2nd April in any event.

• 2 weeks later...