Wolverhampton to Brum not to be missed pub/moorings

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Currently at the top of the Wolverhampton 21 heading towards Brum. Having been weather-beaten today, we're in no hurry to do it in a one, so does anyone have recommendations of pub and mooring combinations we ought to try? Minor detours are ok.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi All,

Currently at the top of the Wolverhampton 21 heading towards Brum. Having been weather-beaten today, we're in no hurry to do it in a one, so does anyone have recommendations of pub and mooring combinations we ought to try? Minor detours are ok.

Thanks in anticipation.

Moor in Tipton, there are no others to be found nowadays.

Thanks guys!

Didn't do the Western firstly because I didn't know about it and secondly because we got so cold and wet today and it was still blowing a hooligan earlier, so we just hunkered down and stoked up the stove! I'll bang that one on the list though. We'll be going through Tipton of course, but haven't been there for years - any particular recommends?

The journey can be as long as it takes if there's good places to go, and with the dams in place and Tardebigge out, we'll have a second bite en route to Netherton tunnel in a few days time.

Grateful for your input.

The Bathams pub is good and known locally as the Bull and Bladder.

Other possibles would be mooring at Bumblehole and walking to Ma Pardoes.

Or moor at Hawne Basin and walk to the refurbed Bell and Bear.

Tipton has choices.

Hockley Port for the Black Eagle.

pelsall Common for the fingerpost.

As you are going through Netherton you will be going to Ma Pardoes won't you????

I quite like the Prince of Wales not far from the NIA in Birmingham. I believe there are some "better" real ale pubs within walking distance but as they won't let the dog in I have not investigated. The Flapper (Cambrian Wharf) is quite interesting, especially if you don't mind a bit of heavy metal, nice view from the balcony.

If you really want a diversion/adventure you could go into Walsall and find the BlackCountry Arms. 16 handpumps.

............Dave

Moor in Tipton, there are no others to be found nowadays.

Yes there are excellent moorings on the 'John the Hat' site in Tipton on the right (health centre adjacent, with security) just before Owen Street bridge where the adjacent Fountain pub does good, inexpensive food (not Friday and Sunday evenings). You can also moor on the left (towpath side) near the pub. There are shops a bit further down Owen Street and Tipton railway station at the bottom ( 5 mins walk). There are moorings on the towpath side (inside a locked gate) outside the Black Country Living Museum opposite the service block (museum is well worth a visit but is currently closed Mondays and Tuesdays). If you travel in to Birmingham on the Old Main Line (the more interesting route in my view) you can moor at Smethwick above the locks and there are shops and facilities close.

Enjoy the BCN!

Regards

David L

Yes there are excellent moorings on the 'John the Hat' site in Tipton on the right (health centre adjacent, with security) just before Owen Street bridge where the adjacent Fountain pub does good, inexpensive food (not Friday and Sunday evenings). You can also moor on the left (towpath side) near the pub. There are shops a bit further down Owen Street and Tipton railway station at the bottom ( 5 mins walk). There are moorings on the towpath side (inside a locked gate) outside the Black Country Living Museum opposite the service block (museum is well worth a visit but is currently closed Mondays and Tuesdays). If you travel in to Birmingham on the Old Main Line (the more interesting route in my view) you can moor at Smethwick above the locks and there are shops and facilities close.

Enjoy the BCN!

Regards

David L

At Tipton, I think you mean "John The Lock" moorings, which last time I was there, no security.

It's ok from the top, and more moorings

The Vine?

Eat in the Weatherspoons. The Bathams pub is proper and doesn't do food (from memory (after several pints with Barry))

Richard

Did excellent cheap lunches a couple of years ago.

Some great stuff there fellas, thanks. A pub close to the NIA we can take the dog to is a good discovery too. I'm reasonably familiar with much the canal navigations, but this local finer detail is really good and I appreciate all of your input. It's so easy to miss some hidden gems, isn't it.

Quite apart from the usual excuses to drink good ale, I feel I owe Batham's some patronage for sponsoring Michael Rutter in Superbikes!

Oh, and is Ma Pardoes actually called that? Sounds like one not to miss, so I'd quite like to be able to find it!

At Tipton, I think you mean "John The Lock" moorings, which last time I was there, no security.

You may be right! He was known as 'John the Hat' but I will get my local spy to have a look at the sign on the moorings and also check up on security. That said i don't think there are any security problems there anyway.

Regards

David

Some great stuff there fellas, thanks. A pub close to the NIA we can take the dog to is a good discovery too. I'm reasonably familiar with much the canal navigations, but this local finer detail is really good and I appreciate all of your input. It's so easy to miss some hidden gems, isn't it.

Quite apart from the usual excuses to drink good ale, I feel I owe Batham's some patronage for sponsoring Michael Rutter in Superbikes!

Oh, and is Ma Pardoes actually called that? Sounds like one not to miss, so I'd quite like to be able to find it!

Dogs ok in the Flapper. Prince of Wales is complicated. Head Barmaid/Bar manager does not allow dogs but the landlord and other bar staff do!.

Go in through the door furthest from bar and settle dog under table and they will most likely not object. If you sit at table with dog on your lap then you will be told to sit outside!

Dogs ok in Ma Pardoes.

.................Dave

Dogs ok in the Flapper. Prince of Wales is complicated. Head Barmaid/Bar manager does not allow dogs but the landlord and other bar staff do!.

Go in through the door furthest from bar and settle dog under table and they will most likely not object. If you sit at table with dog on your lap then you will be told to sit outside!

Dogs ok in Ma Pardoes.

.................Dave

Thanks for the info, made a note not to visit.

:)

It's ok from the top, and more moorings

The Vine?

Eat in the Weatherspoons. The Bathams pub is proper and doesn't do food (from memory (after several pints with Barry))

Richard

Different Barry,

The Vine ( Bull and Bladder) does nice pork pies and huge rolls.

There are two local Bathams pubs The Vine and also one in Stourbridge the Royal Exchange.

Been in both highly recomended.

Also on the Bathams list is the lamp Tavern in Dudley. Not been in there yet

Mad o Roukes just a little walk from the moorings at the back of the Black Country Muesum. The cow pie is not for the faint hearted.

Ma Pardoes food upstairs is very good. Moor just before Withymoor Boat club on the same side and there is a track to the walkway that goes to the boat club, up the walkway then turn right at the road and walk a little way to the pub which is on the same side as you are walking.

• Greenie 1

You may be right! He was known as 'John the Hat' but I will get my local spy to have a look at the sign on the moorings and also check up on security. That said i don't think there are any security problems there anyway.

Regards

David

You are right! Many people knew him as 'John the Hat' because of his characteristic headgear and (I am told) to distinguish him from John at Stourbridge locks. The location is Neptune Health Park and the official sign actually says 'John the Lock Moorings - Friends of Tipton Cut 48 hrs max' . The memorial to John says: 'In memory of John Whitehouse. John the Lock. Friend sof the Canals' and when the moorings were officially opened there was a very large hat similar to the one John wore on it! So I guess I wasn't talking entirely out of my hat...................

I've checked with Tipton Community Association regarding security. There is 24/7 security on the site as a whole because of the elderly person's home and also the medical centre. It doesn't mean you will necessarily see a security guy (though I have).

Kind regards

David L

Edited by fanshaft

You are right! Many people knew him as 'John the Hat' because of his characteristic headgear and (I am told) to distinguish him from John at Stourbridge locks. The location is Neptune Health Park and the official sign actually says 'John the L:ock Moorings - Friends of Tipton Cut 48 hrs max' . The memorial to John says: 'In memory of John Whitehouse. John the Lock. Friend sof the Canals' and when the moorings were officially opened there was a very large hat similar to the one John wore on it! So I guess I wasn't talking entirely out of my hat...................

I've checked with Tipton Community Association regarding security. There is 24/7 security on the site as a whole because of the elderly person's home and also the medical centre. It doesn't mean you will necessarily see a security guy (though I have).

Kind regards

David L

Good to know there is security there. Good moorings, better than the Black Country Museum.